Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exhaust and Mufflers (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exhaust-and-mufflers/)
-   -   interested in getting an aftermarket muffler. HELP! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exhaust-and-mufflers/14946-getting-aftermarket-muffler-help.html)

TheBigElmo 07-23-2010 10:35 PM

interested in getting an aftermarket muffler. HELP!

I've been flirting with the idea of getting an aftermarket muffler for the truck. If I do get one I would want a muffler that isn't really loud, just a nice tone and with very little drone in the cab for its my daily driver. I may Y pipe it off the truck into duals, not sure yet.

Any suggestions, prices, sound clips?

Coleosis 07-23-2010 10:56 PM

Re: interested in getting an aftermarket muffler. HELP!

The FRF search series is probably the best you're going to get for the money. Its free and the link is at the top of the page between "my posts" and "quick links" because this question has been asked 100 times and everyone's tastes are different. Youtube it if you want sound clips. go to youtube.com and type in (if you have a 4.0) "4.0 ranger flowmaster" or "4.0 ranger magnaflow" or "4.0 ranger cherrybomb" etc...

More_Cowbell 07-24-2010 09:44 PM

i use a thrush turbo nice little drone for a low price on my 2.9l you can hear it in the cab its just strait pipe after the cat to the muffler and it stops there on my truck if you have a sohc 4.0 i would reccomend a series 40 muffler they sound nice

SPless 07-24-2010 10:15 PM

I would go with either a flowmaster or a magnaflow. also, if you want subtle sounding, definately run tailpipes as dumping it would be louder.

TheBigElmo 07-24-2010 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPless (Post 160564)
I would go with either a flowmaster or a magnaflow. also, if you want subtle sounding, definately run tailpipes as dumping it would be louder.

what series flowmaster? I have a 72' Nova with a 350 and running Flowmaster 40's and its pretty damn loud. I wouldn't want it nearly that loud. just a nice tone thats all

SPless 07-25-2010 12:04 AM

a 40 series will give you a nice tone that isn't very loud, but if you want something quieter then you could go for a 50 series truck muffler

TheBigElmo 07-25-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPless (Post 160642)
a 40 series will give you a nice tone that isn't very loud, but if you want something quieter then you could go for a 50 series truck muffler

I may look into that. thanks

SPless 07-25-2010 03:52 PM

the 50 series is developed as a "truck and suv" muffler, and although I have never heard one on a v6, me and my pops have put a few on some v8s and they were deeper....had a better sound

noboundaries 07-25-2010 04:52 PM

I have a flowmaster 40 on mine single in dual out and the sound is nice my dad notice it right away but didnt say anything for about 3 days then asked why my truck sounded louder lol would of liked alittle bit more sound out of it but its good for now

TheBigElmo 07-29-2010 05:33 PM

okay i may just go with the 40 series i reckon. how much did yall pay for getting the exhaust run back and the muffler installed?

SPless 07-29-2010 06:29 PM

I think dad charges around 350-375 but not sure

Cyanide93 08-01-2010 05:48 PM

I replaced my muffler with a Flowmaster 10 series, it has that slight drone in the cab but a nice rumble on the outside.

SPless 08-01-2010 05:58 PM

Why not just straight pipe? Pretty much the same thing haha

RedPowerRanger 08-26-2010 12:50 PM

i got my flowmaster 40 put on and dumped for about 175..dumping it makes it sound deeper too

15danger 08-29-2010 03:37 PM

i have a single inlet and dual outlet mbrp muffler on my truck with having the pipes bent and havin the whole system put on was about $220 bucks at my local muffler shop... i did see better fuel milage after i put my exhaust on and putting in a drop in K&N flter