Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   spark plug help (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/14517-spark-plug-help.html)

mazdab2300 07-14-2010 01:41 PM

spark plug help

I started changing my spark plus on my 94 2.3 with dual plugs and got the easy side done then started on the hard side and the rubber things were sticking really bad but i got the two easier ones off and then the ones behind the intake manifold are melted to the thing and keep ripping. how do i get them off and how do i make it easier

BigT8600 07-14-2010 08:06 PM

Re: spark plug help

the exessive heat can cause the spark plug boot (rubber thing) to melt over time. If i were you, i would replace all the spark plug wires while you are doing this. You will probably need to cut, pull, tear or whatever you can to get the boot off the old plug. you will damage it enough that you need new wires anyway. you can get them for a reasonable price. 30 or 40 buks from auto parts store. You dont want a damaged plug boot. if voltage escapes the boot or wire and archs on the manifold it can cause issues.

mazdab2300 07-20-2010 08:53 AM

i changed the wires and now i am having trouble with a bad idle it runs forever but it idles awful and the two two places i had so much trouble with the old wire boots i am now having trouble with the new ones a small spark is coming out from underthem and causing a ticking sound i have pushed them down as hard as i could but still sparking and bad idle. they are behind the intake manifold so they are already hard to get to i had to take it off to change them and the plugs

modelageek 07-20-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazdab2300 (Post 157982)
i changed the wires and now i am having trouble with a bad idle it runs forever but it idles awful and the two two places i had so much trouble with the old wire boots i am now having trouble with the new ones a small spark is coming out from underthem and causing a ticking sound i have pushed them down as hard as i could but still sparking and bad idle. they are behind the intake manifold so they are already hard to get to i had to take it off to change them and the plugs

did you use the auotlite or motorcraft wires with the hooks on them

mazdab2300 07-20-2010 03:36 PM

i am using some bosch one because of a lifetime warranty but idk what ur talking about hooks

modelageek 07-20-2010 04:37 PM

Bosch plugs suck. go to rockauto and look at the wire sets

mazdab2300 07-20-2010 07:05 PM

and what kind do you suggest

modelageek 07-21-2010 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazdab2300 (Post 158236)
and what kind do you suggest

autolite or Motorcraft DP's

sgtsandman 07-21-2010 09:03 PM

Those plastic j hooks make a hell of a difference. I wouldn't consider putting any wire in my truck that don't have them.