Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Ford Ranger Discussion (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/)
-   -   Gas tank question (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/144666-gas-tank-question.html)

browning1396 11-15-2018 08:08 PM

Gas tank question

Whenever I fill up my tank, I can never hold the handle for more than 3 seconds, whether that’s at full blast or holding the handle halfway. Gas always comes shooting out at me, like it’s overflowing. Looked up underneath, and nothing seemed wrong. Anyone have this issue?

Logan03CO 11-16-2018 04:28 AM

Re: Gas tank question

Yep sure have. My vent tube was melted shut. From the after market exhaust that was routed too close to it.

I'd check the vent tube first.

browning1396 11-16-2018 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan03CO (Post 2748504)
Yep sure have. My vent tube was melted shut. From the after market exhaust that was routed too close to it.

I'd check the vent tube first.

Thank you! I'll check that out. Did you replace it yourself or take it somewhere?

Logan03CO 11-17-2018 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by browning1396 (Post 2748521)
Did you replace it yourself or take it somewhere?

My truck was still new and under warranty so i brought it somewhere and made it their problem.

browning1396 11-18-2018 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan03CO (Post 2748525)
My truck was still new and under warranty so i brought it somewhere and made it their problem.

Ahh... I wish I could do that lol. I'm not even sure how to replace the whole filler neck to be completely honest. I took a look underneath the other day, and correct me if I'm wrong but just from looking at it I'd have to drop the gas tank a little and then take it off that way? or take the bed off completely. There's so many YouTube videos that show people taking the bed off, and that heavily worries me :eek:

Mike69 11-18-2018 07:44 AM

I found it easiest to remove the bed of my Ranger to replace the filler neck & the hose from the filler neck to the tank. I ran & nylon rope in a "X" pattern through the bed tie down hooks inside the bed & then used my engine hoiust to remove the bed after removing all the hold down bolts, removing the screws holding the filler neck to the bed, & unplugging the the tail light harness behind the rear bumper.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/membe...iller-pipe.jpg

Ordinary Biker 11-18-2018 08:11 AM

That is what most people do from what I have heard. Usually it is to gain access to the fuel pump I understand, but the principle is the same. If you don't have a hoist, 2 people can pick it up and slide it onto some saw horses. Just pre-soak the bolts with some PB Blaster for a while is all.

browning1396 11-19-2018 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike69 (Post 2748537)
I found it easiest to remove the bed of my Ranger to replace the filler neck & the hose from the filler neck to the tank. I ran & nylon rope in a "X" pattern through the bed tie down hooks inside the bed & then used my engine hoiust to remove the bed after removing all the hold down bolts, removing the screws holding the filler neck to the bed, & unplugging the the tail light harness behind the rear bumper

This makes me wish I had an engine hoist. :banghead:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ordinary Biker (Post 2748538)
That is what most people do from what I have heard. Usually it is to gain access to the fuel pump I understand, but the principle is the same. If you don't have a hoist, 2 people can pick it up and slide it onto some saw horses. Just pre-soak the bolts with some PB Blaster for a while is all.

Thanks for the PB Blaster tip. That’ll save me some trouble in the long run. I wouldn’t have thought about that tbh.

I guess the plus side about having to take the bed off is I can paint the frame haha

kgo5xd 11-20-2018 02:25 PM

https://m.harborfreight.com/1-Ton-Ca...ane-69512.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

browning1396 11-22-2018 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgo5xd (Post 2748612)

Oh man how I wish. Maybe I'll ask for it for Christmas.... :D

dvrich 11-23-2018 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by browning1396 (Post 2748677)
Oh man how I wish. Maybe I'll ask for it for Christmas.... :D

The Chinese economy will thank you.

victor gonzalez 12-12-2018 06:12 AM

Thank you for the tips!

browning1396 12-19-2018 09:04 PM

Has anyone had any luck getting this part from a junk yard? Or would it be safer just to buy a new one... School makes it very hard to have money and who would've thought a piece of tubing would be $80 :frown:

beau-tech 12-26-2018 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ordinary Biker (Post 2748538)

X2 regarding start soaking the fasteners. Use a breaker bar and not impact gun to get them loose. The hex in the bolt tears out easily. Then replace with new nuts & bolts. Anti-seize on the new bolts.

Also, good time to replace some other items if you are keeping the truck for awhile (ex: shocks, fuel pump, leaf spring shackles (known issue) & frame mount, spare tire cable hoist)

Good luck!