Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   How-To Submissions (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/how-to-submissions/)
-   -   Oil pressure gauge (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/how-to-submissions/144374-oil-pressure-gauge.html)

DTewell 08-28-2018 05:07 PM

Oil pressure gauge

Why would my oil pressure gauge constantly register low oil pressure but I have plenty of oil? Just traveled (mostly on interstate) for close to five hours today and gauge very seldom showed semi normal. Oil sending unit, oil pump malfunction or bad gauge. PS I have a 93 Ranger. Any help greatly appreciated. TIA.

Dirtman 08-28-2018 05:32 PM

Re: Oil pressure gauge

The important thing is you took proper precaution and ignored it for 5 hours of driving. :congrats:

What engine and how many miles are on it? Are you using the correct weight oil? Did the issue appear suddenly or has it been like this for a while?

The sending units are cheap enough that you could start by just replacing that. If the pressure reads normal again you solved the issue. If not time to test the oil pressure with a mechanical guage to see if there is a real problem like a failing pump. I certainly dont recommend driving much more until you fix the issue though, unless your looking for an excuse to replace the engine.

DTewell 08-29-2018 07:04 AM

It has been that way for quite awhile. Truck has just over 100K miles but engine was replaced before I bought it and don't know how many miles on the engine. How do I test the pressure if the sending unit replacement does not cure the problem?

KenHigg 08-29-2018 08:51 AM

Seems the thing to do is pull the sensor and put a gauge on it. Or if you want, stick in a new sensor. If it comes up you're good, if not you're back where you started needing to put a gauge on it...

dvrich 08-29-2018 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djfllmn (Post 2746902)
that sending unit is just a low pressure switch. the gauge is a dummy gauge. i think if its above 8psi it reads right in the middle, below that its pegged on L. you need to check the wiring

100% correct......if the oil pressure gauge is reading anything other than half scale or pegged to the left, something in the sensor or gauge is off.

Dirtman 08-29-2018 06:22 PM

I always wondered why they didn't just use something like a rheostat switch that could at least read pressure in vauge incriments instead of putting a guage on a switch made for an on/off idiot light. Its like giving you a speedometer that only works if your doing 55.

dvrich 08-30-2018 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtman (Post 2746931)
I always wondered why they didn't just use something like a rheostat switch that could at least read pressure in vauge incriments instead of putting a guage on a switch made for an on/off idiot light. Its like giving you a speedometer that only works if your doing 55.

Ford eliminated the real gauge due to an alarming number of morons who were bringing their trucks in for warranty service.......they had no idea oil pressure varies with engine speed.