Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exterior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/)
-   -   bed bolts on a 99 in CT = RUST (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/144295-bed-bolts-99-ct-rust.html)

jim22 08-10-2018 05:09 PM

bed bolts on a 99 in CT = RUST

Hi All,
I'm going to try to remove the bed on my '99, and here in CT, the bolts are RUSTY, so I need encouragement or discouragement, one or the other.

I'm assuming these will not spin out. I will spray with PB Blaster for a week or two.

I will get myself a "good" impact rated T55 Torx bit in 1/2 inch drive, maybe two. First question, where should I look to buy these, and what brand?

Assuming I eventually get the bolts out, I have no issue replacing them and the clips, so I'm not worried about destroying them.

My first approach will be a 1/2 inch breaker bar and iron pipe extension. I imagine I could break the bits. I imagine I might strip the head in the bolts. If this happens, what's the best approach? I have a dremel, but I don't have a welder to weld nuts on. I imagine I might strip the threads on the bolt or in the nut. If this happens, I guess I'm forced to drill, grind, or cut the head off the bolt. Does that free up the bed? Is it then not too bad to get what's left attached off the truck?

Questions, questions, questions...

TIA,
Jim

Mike69 08-11-2018 05:09 AM

Re: bed bolts on a 99 in CT = RUST

Jim, I live in NJ so I am very familiar with the rust problem. When I removed the bed off of my 2000 Ranger I got under it & sprayed the bolts & the clips they thread into about 3-4 times before trying to remove them, then I used the proper T55 torx bit with a 1/2" drive breaker bar & 1/2" drive ratchet wrench to remove the bolts. I did not want to use an impact for fear of stripping the torx bolts. I have had the bed off the Ranger 3 times already.

ford4thot 08-11-2018 11:47 AM

If they are that Rusty, I would imagine the bolts are almost completely rusted through and will snap the second you start. That's what happened to mine

jim22 08-11-2018 01:37 PM

I am not planning to use an impact wrench, just figured impact rated torx bit would be less likely to break on me. Snapped bolts is probably one of the best cases, mine look nice on top because of the bed liner and cap, but underneath they are quite rusty. I will definitely spray them a few times over the next few weeks before I give it a go.

jim22 08-18-2018 12:25 PM

Got under there today and wire brushed and sprayed the bolts I could with PB Blaster. I don't know whose idea it was to bury one bolt between the gas tank, frame, and wiring. Can barely see that one. Sprayed it, but couldn't brush it. There's a second one in the back that's not much better. I have a couple craftsman bits on order, at least they are guaranteed.

k2evd 09-05-2018 02:20 PM

try a 50/50 mix of atf and acetone - this has worked for me - when in doubt dont hesitate to use the hot wrench - dont have to make it red hot but goodnhot works
let that atf/acetone work over night then in the morning wipe it down and apply the hot wrench... they will come loose
good luck