Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Love what you have done to the place... (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/introduce-yourself/143659-love.html)

MsDeRanger 03-28-2018 02:16 PM

Love what you have done to the place...

My introduction posting……
Hiya, I am the new owner of a 1996 Ford Ranger XLT that was given to me by my brother and I am beginning to understand why. He told me it hadn’t been registered in over a year, I will need a new battery, I need a light for the license plate and I need to finish hooking up the break light that he had installed in the back of the trucks bed cover thing (can’t think of what it is called right now) and I may have a small problem with it passing the smog check because last he drove it the check engine light was on. It had been parked for the last year plus in front of his house and used for the neighbors to put bulk garbage in the back of it and he would take it for them to the dump. Before that, his teenage sons drove it around town for a couple of years while in high school and then after until they both joined the army. So it was pretty much trashed. There was paint that had spilled in the back and was stuck pretty good and a bunch of garbage that he had not finished taking out, the cab was disgusting it took me about a week to get it all cleaned up. I took the seats out and shampooed the seats and the carpet I will be posting before and after pics so you can see.
So now I am getting everything else done, I have gotten a new battery and shocker after driving it the check engine light came on so I did the test and it came up with P1445 Purge Flow Sens Circ high input. Also when I first got it the speedometer worked and the radio and the windshield wipers worked BUT after I cleaned the spiders and spider webs from under the hood now the speedometer, odometer and windshield wipers don’t work the radio also stopped working but I have gotten that working again. I checked all the fuses but you should know that one of them I didn’t put back in because it is the one that keeps the buzzer from going off when the door is open please don’t tell me it is the same one that has anything to do with the other things that don’t work.
So now in my signature, I say the truck is a 2.3 L Drive Belt I guess that is the engine size and the sticker in the front also says that I need 8 spark plugs but I was told it was a 4 cyl. I’m thinking my brother was wrong. Correct me if I am wrong but each plug for a cylinder right? I know I don’t have a Hemi sitting in my truck. That means I am going to need to change the spark plugs real soon because if he thinks it is a 4 cyl. He has never changed the plugs in heck I don’t know 4 or 5 years probably longer. I have a bunch of cosmetic things that need to be done but that is not on my list of NEEDS to be done now so not worried about that right now. I know my oil needs to be changed, I just bought a Chilton’s for it and I do not have the manual that came with the truck so I have had to download and print out the fuse schematic and I did get both the one inside of the truck and under the hood. I know I need to check ALL of the fluids and am getting ready to do just that. I am not sure what else I should do. The tires are pretty new and he said he just replaced the brakes maybe I should ask how long is JUST for him. Please let me know what else I should do as far as things to check for a vehicle that has been sitting for a while.
That is all I have for RIGHT NOW as far as questions about my truck go so now a little about me.
My name is Derinda hence the name DeRanger which I thought clicked because I have a tendency to be a little deranged sometimes but in a good way, no really I am not a crazy woman nor do I play one on t.v. Hobbies I have include but not limited to are knife throwing, painting (anything including houses) making something from nothing, sewing, and gardening. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and I don’t mind getting my hands dirty or grease under my fingernails but unless someone is standing or sitting around with me while I do most anything to, under or within my truck I probably won’t want to do it, also I am not ready to invest in a bunch of tools (yet). The only thing left to say would be if you feel like it say hello back to me because I have a feeling that all you Rangerians will probably become my new bestest friends.
thanks in advance.

Pictures to come at a later time.

Welcome Bot 03-28-2018 02:36 PM

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!!

Welcome to FRF!

Here are two links to help you use the forum:
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/site-...ger-forum.html
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/how-t...-pictures.html

You can switch the style of this forum to a light theme by going to http://www.fordrangerforum.com/profi...do=editoptions and scrolling down the last option of "forum skin" and selecting light. You can switch back and forth anytime.

Please insert a signature with information on your truck by going here:
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/profi...=editsignature

We have three contests you can participate in, which you can view here:
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/contests/

Our how-to guides are a great way to begin customizing your truck, view them here:
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/how-tos/

Also, if you're interested in forum stickers, shirts, or ford merchandise visit the FRF store here:
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/store

Undrstm8ed 03-28-2018 07:13 PM

Re: Love what you have done to the place...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsDeRanger (Post 2743166)
My introduction posting……
Hiya, I am the new owner of a 1996 Ford Ranger XLT that was given to me by my brother and I am beginning to understand why. He told me it hadn’t been registered in over a year, I will need a new battery, I need a light for the license plate and I need to finish hooking up the break light that he had installed in the back of the trucks bed cover thing (can’t think of what it is called right now) and I may have a small problem with it passing the smog check because last he drove it the check engine light was on. It had been parked for the last year plus in front of his house and used for the neighbors to put bulk garbage in the back of it and he would take it for them to the dump. Before that, his teenage sons drove it around town for a couple of years while in high school and then after until they both joined the army. So it was pretty much trashed. There was paint that had spilled in the back and was stuck pretty good and a bunch of garbage that he had not finished taking out, the cab was disgusting it took me about a week to get it all cleaned up. I took the seats out and shampooed the seats and the carpet I will be posting before and after pics so you can see.

Welcome to FRF..

Quote:

So now I am getting everything else done, I have gotten a new battery and shocker after driving it the check engine light came on so I did the test and it came up with P1445 Purge Flow Sens Circ high input. Also when I first got it the speedometer worked and the radio and the windshield wipers worked BUT after I cleaned the spiders and spider webs from under the hood now the speedometer, odometer and windshield wipers don’t work the radio also stopped working but I have gotten that working again. I checked all the fuses but you should know that one of them I didn’t put back in because it is the one that keeps the buzzer from going off when the door is open please don’t tell me it is the same one that has anything to do with the other things that don’t work.

A quick and interesting option to check that is put the fuse back in, turn key forward to the On position/or start it and check those features.. Otherwise you may hear what you don't wanna hear ;)

Quote:

So now in my signature, I say the truck is a 2.3 L Drive Belt I guess that is the engine size and the sticker in the front also says that I need 8 spark plugs but I was told it was a 4 cyl. I’m thinking my brother was wrong. Correct me if I am wrong but each plug for a cylinder right? I know I don’t have a Hemi sitting in my truck. That means I am going to need to change the spark plugs real soon because if he thinks it is a 4 cyl. He has never changed the plugs in heck I don’t know 4 or 5 years probably longer.

Its called "Dual ignition" although many here may have alternative adjectives for its name or use..

something to consider - http://www.fordrangerforum.com/how-t...-2-3-2-5l.html

Quote:

I have a bunch of cosmetic things that need to be done but that is not on my list of NEEDS to be done now so not worried about that right now. I know my oil needs to be changed, I just bought a Chilton’s for it and I do not have the manual that came with the truck so I have had to download and print out the fuse schematic and I did get both the one inside of the truck and under the hood. I know I need to check ALL of the fluids and am getting ready to do just that. I am not sure what else I should do. The tires are pretty new and he said he just replaced the brakes maybe I should ask how long is JUST for him. Please let me know what else I should do as far as things to check for a vehicle that has been sitting for a while.

New plugs, Oil & Filter, Air Filter, Coolant flush, and if you wanna be meticulous, if the brake fluid is dark, consider flushing the brake system.. Should be good for starters and running purposes.

Outside of that check tire pressures, top off with some 91-94 Octane if you can and I'm sure others will chime in some additional parameters to consider.

99Ranger376 03-31-2018 05:29 PM

The purge flow circut code could be a bad evap purge solenoid. I would recommend changing all the fluids because it sat for a long time and doesn’t sound like it was well cared for. Also the 8 spark plugs, was Ford’s wonderful idea for pollution control to clean up emissions. It is a 4 cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MsDeRanger 04-07-2018 06:09 AM

Thank You, everyone, for the information. Let me tell you I ended up having to go and pay for a diagnostic and yep it was the purge flow solenoid and the sensor they wanted to charge me $231.00 to fix it and told me it would take them about 30 to 45 minutes to get it done. So I went and purchased the two parts and I asked my stepfather to help me out (he is retired from Ford as a mechanic but his health is no good) so he stood and watched me. It took me no more than 5 minutes the hardest thing was loosening the screw (ONE SCREW) on the hose clamp. My stepfather said welcome to the life of a mechanic. OMG $231.00 for 5 minutes plus the pards were about $100.00 less. The best news is I PASSED SMOG with flying colors. YES it was a good day.

JAMMANICA 04-07-2018 07:17 AM

A happy ending :)

If I had to pay every time I worked on a ranger I could have bought a new car by now. Good job passing smog.

99Ranger376 04-08-2018 05:24 PM

Glad to hear it worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk