Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Ford Ranger Discussion (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/)
-   -   Rustproofing started (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/143532-rustproofing-started.html)

jeff18 03-01-2018 03:44 PM

Rustproofing started

Started rustproofing the new to me 09 Ranger. Made my own from motor oil, toilet bowl seal, scented candle for firmness. Frame temp is around 35 degrees. Used a paint brush to apply and hot solution. As soon as it touches the metal it begins to cool down and firm up making it difficult to spread. One benefit is this makes for a thick coat of goo. Total cost for this experiment was $1.79usd.

The first batch stays soft so the next batch will be formulated differently using Lucas Sticky grease and paraffin so that the coating will be more firm, yet still somewhat soft and won't crack. Cost will be around $7usd a batch. If I can figure out how to spray it, it will go long way. Figure cost to do the entire vehicle will be well under $30usd.

The stuff does not come off easily and will likely put up with under carriage washings for a few years.

dvrich 03-02-2018 03:49 PM

Re: Rustproofing started

motor oil, toilet bowl seal, and scented candles! Don't forget the blinker fluid too. LMAO!

jeff18 03-06-2018 02:28 PM

Sticky note adhesive was discovered the same way. The tacky grease and paraffin is OK, but the toilet seal ring and motor oil is the way to go as far as painting it on. Must be due to the motor oil.
As for the scented candle it is all that was available in the house., and I needed it to firm up the solution. Wife hasn't discovered it missing yet. She has commented several times that the garage smells good. haha! little does she know.
Working on another batch using the toilet bowl ring, grease and paraffin. Will let all know the results. Still cold here so I just may wait a few weeks to apply to frame and body panels.

Woodtroll 03-06-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff18 (Post 2742456)
Wife hasn't discovered it missing yet. She has commented several times that the garage smells good. haha! little does she know.

That's pretty funny, for now, but you're going to be in trouble!!! :)

DHEM 03-07-2018 07:08 AM

You did remember to remove all the current rust before throwing on coating right?

jeff18 03-07-2018 01:16 PM

DEHM, wire wheeled the rust and then slapped it on. I am experimenting with this and have one section where I just slapped it over the existing rust, one section wire wheeled, and rust converted, then covered with the goop. One section down to the bare metal and primed/painted, then rust proofed.
My guess is that all three sections will do equally well since exposure to O2 and H2O is effectively cut off. Time will tell.