Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Suspension Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/suspension-tech/)
-   -   Twisted T-Bars causin Wheel bearing to constantly go... (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/suspension-tech/143233-twisted-bars-causin-wheel-bearing-constantly.html)

TexasWalkerRanger 12-24-2017 01:03 PM

Twisted T-Bars causin Wheel bearing to constantly go...

So because I have 33's and 1.25 inch spacers, the torsion bars are twisted since the previous owner maxed them out by tightening the bolts all the way, now my driver side front wheel bearing is shot... driving home last night I felt it in the steering wheel, heard it, and smelled it, stopped by my firehouse to spray the wheel down with a hose to co it off so it didn't cook any sensors or anything.... so I need to get another wheel bearing, new t bars and have to re cut the wheel studs for the spacers... any advice?

Jimmyspy 12-24-2017 02:04 PM

Re: Twisted T-Bars causin Wheel bearing to constantly go...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasWalkerRanger (Post 2740237)
So because I have 33's and 1.25 inch spacers, the torsion bars are twisted since the previous owner maxed them out by tightening the bolts all the way, now my driver side front wheel bearing is shot... driving home last night I felt it in the steering wheel, heard it, and smelled it, stopped by my firehouse to spray the wheel down with a hose to co it off so it didn't cook any sensors or anything.... so I need to get another wheel bearing, new t bars and have to re cut the wheel studs for the spacers... any advice?

The hub assembly is pretty easy to replace. The bearing assembly itself is only held in by three bolts and the nut on the end of the CV. You just need to take the caliper and caliper bracket off to get to it, You’ll only need some basic hand tools (socket set, wrenches, breaker bar, etc) and a torque wrench. The axle nut needs to be torqued to 162 ft-lbs.

As for the cause of failure, it’s very unlikely that the sole cause is the tbars being cranked. The front end being out of alignment from cranking the torsion bars may have been a factor, but you could argue that running spacers and 33s was also a factor. Hub assemblies are wear parts, and they go bad. Some sooner than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasWalkerRanger 12-24-2017 07:43 PM

I just had that side replaced when the motor was rebuilt a couple
Months ago but I'm gonna say that side has more stress because the bar is so twisted on that side that it looks like it's loosened almost all the way... hopefully It'll be easy to do since that side was replaced already and I won't have to worry about anything being rusted.... I had to do the other side myself but now I know what I gotta do :/

Whisky 12-25-2017 02:05 AM

Super easy to replace. First time one side took maybe 45min 2nd side closer to 20min

btspencer 12-25-2017 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasWalkerRanger (Post 2740237)

Honestly man, id look into a sas if you can...

TexasWalkerRanger 01-03-2018 04:57 AM

I wanna do an sas.... but I don know how much that's gonna run me....

----------

Anybody know of any heavy duty or good quality Tbars and were to pick them up?

Jimmyspy 01-03-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasWalkerRanger (Post 2740527)
I wanna do an sas.... but I don know how much that's gonna run me....

----------

Anybody know of any heavy duty or good quality Tbars and were to pick them up?

Ford factory bars, door jamb code “1”. These had the highest spring rate. I’m not aware of any aftermarket options.

You can get new ones through a ford dealer, or used ones from a salvage yard.

TexasWalkerRanger 01-10-2018 01:25 PM

How much would they rape me- I mean run me for them if I get them through the dealership...

99Ranger376 01-10-2018 01:27 PM

Rape with no lube. Try to avoid the dealer, #1 torsion bars from a salvage yard are the way to go ‘98-‘11 will work

TexasWalkerRanger 01-11-2018 07:21 AM

I figured that... I'll start looking around and see what I can find