Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Vehicle Snapshots (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/vehicle-snapshots/)
-   -   Newbie- What to do with my Ranger... (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/vehicle-snapshots/14319-newbie-ranger.html)

hwkeye 07-10-2010 09:25 AM

Newbie- What to do with my Ranger...

Hey All,

I am a newbie so please go easy!! :)

Here is my 2001 Ranger XL.. So far (today actually) I removed the bug guard I bought it with, did the throddle cable mod, and the air box mod. It seems to be running good with those. I like the added noise with the air box mod.

I would like to paint the grill, as it has faded into the gray plastic horribleness.... I am thinking about painting it white, what do you think?

I would also like to put a body lift kit on it, but am scared of that it exceeds my ability..

I also removed the front plate mount...

I also plan to remove the mudflaps... what else should I do?? Ideas?

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8...1007101148.jpg

Clinton 07-10-2010 09:29 AM

Re: Newbie- What to do with my Ranger...

Welcome! Maybe go with the billet grille combo instead of painting, body lift would be cool on that!

hwkeye 07-10-2010 09:42 AM

I think a lift kit would be nice too!

Does anybody know if I can go any bigger in tire size on the stock wheels I have now (15")?? I have the stock tire size... not sure what they are exactly... I can look if needed...

sgtsandman 07-10-2010 11:03 AM

I would leave the mud flaps on, they do a lot to protect your paint.

There is quite a few threads on tires and rims. Start with the stickies first. :)

smsranger 07-10-2010 11:09 AM

hey man welcome..what kinda mods are you looking to get into? more of a street look? or truck look? and if wou give me ur tire size. i can look at work monday to see what size tires you can get for that truck.

hwkeye 07-10-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smsranger (Post 151984)
hey man welcome..what kinda mods are you looking to get into? more of a street look? or truck look? and if wou give me ur tire size. i can look at work monday to see what size tires you can get for that truck.

Thanks! I started a thread in the wheels/tire section so im not posting in the wrong place... I have to look at my tire size, but I know I have the stock wheels that are 15 inches. I am just looking for the max size I could do on those wheels....

I am looking for a truck look.. I really waant to do a 3 inch body lift! I think that would look great!

hwkeye 07-10-2010 11:28 AM

I got my current tire size, it is 225/70R 15.

TheBearJeweler 07-10-2010 11:52 AM

Drop it... paint the stock wheels for starters. I went 2/3

Stock:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...4/DSC01688.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...4/DSC01680.jpg

Now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...4/DSC02249.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...4/DSC02019.jpg

hwkeye 07-10-2010 12:04 PM

Sweet looking ride! How do you paint the stock wheels... would like to black them out...

one1 07-10-2010 12:18 PM

Remove pinstripe, paint grill black (or find a chrome one), paint front bumper white, chunk the wheels and find something else. Do not make ugly wheels uglier.

hwkeye 07-10-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one1 (Post 152003)
Remove pinstripe, paint grill black (or find a chrome one), paint front bumper white, chunk the wheels and find something else. Do not make ugly wheels uglier.

You think painting them can possibly make them uglier?? I don't have alot of money, looking for an easy fix for these wheels...

one1 07-10-2010 12:29 PM

Yes. It can. There is no fix for them. Everybody and their second cousin has painted their wheels black since 2001 thinking it makes ugly wheels disappear. It makes ugly wheels STAND OUT. What are you likely to look at more, a stock set of wheels or a set of black wheels on a white truck? Now everyone can go "look..... those ugly black wheels on that truck".

Just ride them and deal with it. Someone will come along with a set for a couple hundred bucks and you'll trade on them and make it happen.

hwkeye 07-10-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one1 (Post 152008)
Yes. It can. There is no fix for them. Everybody and their second cousin has painted their wheels black since 2001 thinking it makes ugly wheels disappear. It makes ugly wheels STAND OUT. What are you likely to look at more, a stock set of wheels or a set of black wheels on a white truck? Now everyone can go "look..... those ugly black wheels on that truck".

Just ride them and deal with it. Someone will come along with a set for a couple hundred bucks and you'll trade on them and make it happen.

Hmm, IDK, something to think about I guess... Ive seen a few pictures and im not totally turned off by them... was thinking if I do it, to leave the stock center cap the chrome color.... may make for a nice contrast...

smsranger 07-10-2010 12:51 PM

dude ur truck is a 2x4 right? i wouldnt rase it. if anything lower it or leave it and just do body mods... and jeweler54 that looks bad ass. thats wat i wana do. a 2/3 drop and paint my rims...but all i think ima do is paint my rims..and there realy is not much to it. well et depends how you wana do them. i would do mine my self.

CLOS99 07-10-2010 12:58 PM

bag it..... it looks like a street truck

hwkeye 07-10-2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLOS99 (Post 152020)
bag it..... it looks like a street truck

bag it?? What's that supposed to mean???:confused:

smsranger 07-10-2010 01:16 PM

means put air bags on it...kinda like hydrolics. but different. it uses a air compresor and bags as suspension. to raise and lower the vehical....youtube it...it will expalin it better.

hwkeye 07-10-2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smsranger (Post 152027)
means put air bags on it...kinda like hydrolics. but different. it uses a air compresor and bags as suspension. to raise and lower the vehical....youtube it...it will expalin it better.

hahaha OK, gotcha... I thought you were telling me to ditch the truck all together!! HAHAHA... showin off my newbieness... :)

That does sound cool!

stephen 07-10-2010 01:58 PM

i vote for the billet grill and some new wheels if you can afford it.

DHEM 07-10-2010 03:29 PM

i would paint the rims and inner grill black, leave the hub caps chrome. Its cheaper than buying new rims and a grill and it should look good. It would help since alot of your truck is dark colored and black, and should look nice in black and white.

hwkeye 07-10-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHEM (Post 152085)
i would paint the rims and inner grill black, leave the hub caps chrome. Its cheaper than buying new rims and a grill and it should look good. It would help since alot of your truck is dark colored and black, and should look nice in black and white.

That is about exactly what I was thinking. Plus it's a real budget saver too. It would take some dedicated time, but cost-wise, it would be very cheap. I like the black and white look myself. Also when I get newer bigger tires, I think it would help.

I mean, I don't think the stock wheels are ALL that bad. They defenently are not the best, but I think they could be decent painted black, and leaving the cap chrome... just my .02

ER95 07-11-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clinton (Post 151962)
Welcome! Maybe go with the billet grille combo instead of painting, body lift would be cool on that!

Yeah I agree

Casper 07-11-2010 07:11 PM

Lower it 4/5 on 17's!

snakeranger 07-12-2010 09:23 AM

New wheels for sure! :D