Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   Calling all gurus: Really tough Timing belt problem (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/14297-calling-gurus-tough-timing-belt.html)

manlystanley 07-09-2010 06:54 PM

Calling all gurus: Really tough Timing belt problem

I have read all threads on the board related to timing belts, but I have problem that is not ever been listed. Sooo.... I wanted to ask all the gurus here for some help.

What I've done: I put in a new timing belt into a 2000 ranger I4, 2.5L-- making sure that all timing marks were aligned. Then I loosened the tensioner and the belt because taught and all markings were still aligned.

The Problem: I rotated the crackshaft till the cam shaft sprocket is back to the 'triangle'. *HOWEVER* the oil pump sprocket *AND* the crankshaft are now off by one tooth. I have tried putting doing this three times and the same result.... HELP!!!

Thanks,
Stan

Johnbaum13 07-09-2010 07:06 PM

Re: Calling all gurus: Really tough Timing belt problem

you are supposed to start at the crank, and keeping the belt tight work your way around to the cam pulley, putting the belt on with the marks lined up. this is to keep slack out of the non tensioned side. Sounds like you had some slack, so when you turned it over, it took out that slack and you are now miss aligned.

re-align the timing mark, being sure to keep the belt tight around the non tensioned side, and when you loosen the tensioner bolt to tension the belt, rotated the crank 4 full rotations to allow all the slack to be removed before tightening the tensioner in place.

sgtsandman 07-10-2010 09:00 AM

Correct.

manlystanley 07-10-2010 09:05 PM

[QUOTE=Johnbaum13;151682]you are supposed to start at the crank, and keeping the belt tight work your way around to the cam pulley, putting the belt on with the marks lined up. this is to keep slack out of the non tensioned side. Sounds like you had some slack, so when you turned it over, it took out that slack and you are now miss aligned.

re-align the timing mark, being sure to keep the belt tight around the non tensioned side, and when you loosen the tensioner bolt to tension the belt, rotated the crank 4 full rotations to allow all the slack to be removed before tightening the tensioner in place.[/QUOTE

Thanks for your help!!! I tried putting the belt on both clockwise and counter-clockwise and it gives me the same results. I'm trying different things, but not sure why this timing belt is so hard. I've done timing belts on different cars, and they were a breeze. I'm going to bed now, but I'm certainly confused????

Do you have other thoughts of things I could try??

Best Regards,
Stan

manlystanley 07-12-2010 04:05 AM

Got it in!! No idea why it was so hard, I've done other timing belts and they were a breeze. Had to put the Cam sprocket off a little and then it snapped into place when I released the tensioner. No idea why my truck was such a pain. Anyways, thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
Stan

Johnbaum13 07-12-2010 06:34 AM

Good to hear you got it done!