Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   8-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/8-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   Things they don't tell you about a V8 swap (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/8-cylinder-tech/142837-dont-tell-v8-swap.html)

JAMMANICA 09-12-2017 06:23 PM

Things they don't tell you about a V8 swap

Anyone that has done a V8 ranger, dreamed of doing or is in the process has read the TRS article "Swapping An Explorer 5.0L In To A 1998-Up Ranger"

I have some additions, things they left out that might be helpful.

They: "Using the Explorer 5.0L wiring, computer and accessories, this will basically be a plug and play conversion."

Add this: "after you have done it 3 or 4 times"

They: "The two biggest problems you could run in to doing this swap would be the PATS and VSS."

Add this: "There will be tens of dozens of little problems you will face also"

They: "The easiest V8 donor for a 1998-2007 Ranger 4x4 swap would be the 1996-2001 Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0 AWD."

Some big additions:

"Remember if your donor vehicle has power windows and power seats to move the seat all the way back to be able to easily access under the dash, also roll the windows up before removing the battery and wiring harness. Failure to do so will result in animals making homes inside, mammals as well as stinging insects especially if you leave it sitting for most of a year in an open field."

"If you leave the transmission in the donor and pull the motor only, do not remove the transmission dip stick tube until you have everything you want to remove by crawling under the vehicle first. Having 10 gallons of floor dry or kitty litter works also but not as easy."

"The temperature sensor for the overhead console is not necessarily in the spot that every article on the internet says it is. It might just be on the driver side."

"The most likely place for a huge mud based wasp nest it behind the dash to the right of the instrument cluster. Being able to run quickly will minimize bodily damage. There might also be additional hornet nests in the door panels if you leave them open."

Now on the vehicle the motor is being installed in.

"Make sure you are not following the 4 wheel drive V6 tutorial if doing a coil spring 2WD ranger born with a 4 cyl, you will waste a lot of money on wrong mounts, wrong plates and general headaches on every detail. Good luck finding 100% reliable info on the coil spring swaps even from people who design the mounting plates. Plan on spending 3 or 4 times the money you budgeted, plan on it taking at least 10 times longer than the articles you will read."

Maybe eventually I will finish it. I hope.

win 09-17-2017 10:15 AM

Re: Things they don't tell you about a V8 swap

For me, the $550.00 custom 2 piece driveshaft was the big surprise.

I'd waded through wiring diagrams till my eyes bled. Read and researched as much as I could. Savaged a couple wrecks in a breakers yard for the wiring plugs so I could make wiring adapters to make the conversion as plug and play as possible.

The entire swap went really well, but it took as long to get the driveshaft made as it did for the rest of the swap and the cost of the shaft was shocking.

Guess I should have said I was swapping in an old Pinto 2.0 and only needed a driveshaft for an 80 hp drivetrain.

Ranger850 09-16-2018 02:43 PM

This is refreshing for me. I've been on TRS and not a lot of 2wd v8 info over there.

RoberticusMaximus 09-17-2018 06:37 AM

subb'd!

CalebJ 09-17-2018 08:19 AM

I'm stunned your driveshaft cost was that high. I took two used shafts for the front and rear that had the ends I needed into a local shop. They cut and balanced and installed new Spicer joints in both for $225 total.

JAMMANICA 09-17-2018 04:25 PM

Do I know y'all? :)

CalebJ 09-18-2018 11:35 AM

Did you finish the swap?

Vogenitz69 10-16-2018 08:42 PM

Subed…..lol

Danny74 10-29-2018 05:40 PM

Another subscriber here :-)
Can't wait to hear more about this swap.

JAMMANICA 11-04-2018 09:05 PM

Thanks guys, I moved to another forum and have purchased my dream ranger... about the same thing as the 2WD just a 4WD. Single cab, short bed, same color, same year.

The 5.0 is in the 2wd now, transmission is in, but I am considering using it as a parts vehicle and putting everything I have done in to the 4WD..

This is the original build thread on this forum: http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...ild-5-0-a.html

Have hooked up with a serious group of modders and swappers over at the forum in my sig.