Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Suspension Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/suspension-tech/)
-   -   Which shocks to get? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/suspension-tech/142615-shocks.html)

a_hynes 08-17-2017 11:02 AM

Which shocks to get?
 
Hello all,

I have an '03 XLT RWD with 207k (just hit 207k this morning on the way to work) miles and the original shocks on all 4 corners. Might as well not have shocks at all at this point. I'm looking to buy new ones, but can't justify buying $75 Bilsteins for a truck that a) sees NO offroad action and b) may not be around for much longer. The buying guide on Bilsteins in this forum is great, but does anyone know what else from RockAuto may be a good middle-of-the-road shock? Rancho's seem decent for at least a little less money, but wanted to make sure I'm making a good decision.

Thanks.

RoberticusMaximus 08-17-2017 11:19 AM

Re: Which shocks to get?
 
they'll be better than the $20 specials lol! i'm thinking about using ranchos next. i put on $25 monroes from oreily's a few years ago, and they have been diminishing in performance. but they weren't too bad for the first 10,000 miles or so!

Chevy_Country 08-17-2017 11:44 AM

Re: Which shocks to get?
 
Ranchos for sure

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

a_hynes 08-17-2017 12:34 PM

Re: Which shocks to get?
 
Yeah I see the $14 economy ones and I'm all for being economical, but it looks like you hit one pothole and they're done lol. Racho's it is. They'll definitely stand out on the undercarriage too lol. Thanks

cowboybilly9mile 08-17-2017 12:46 PM

Re: Which shocks to get?
 
You don't have to off road to experience and enjoy the benefits of the Bilsteins. After owning new OEM gas shocks on the new vehicle, Ranchos and Bilsteins, I can tell you from personal experience that if you want to experience Ranchos yet want to save money, just take the shocks you have now and replace them with a solid piece of steel where your shocks are now. Same punishing/skittish ride without the need to pay for the punishment.

johnday 08-17-2017 01:12 PM

Re: Which shocks to get?
 
Crap, the $14 shocks have to be better than what's there now. I had a set of procomps for about 100 miles or so, then got some good Fox. I don't offroad either, unless twotracks and logging trails are offroad.
If you're not going to have it for long, you may as well go cheap, at the least, stock replacement.
Whatever you put on there, has to be an improvement in safety alone.;)

RoberticusMaximus 08-17-2017 02:04 PM

Re: Which shocks to get?
 
great point! ^^^
honestly, if it keeps the the rear end from hopping and causing a wreck, then worth it no matter which you go with

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboybilly9mile (Post 2732685)
You don't have to off road to experience and enjoy the benefits of the Bilsteins. After owning new OEM gas shocks on the new vehicle, Ranchos and Bilsteins, I can tell you from personal experience that if you want to experience Ranchos yet want to save money, just take the shocks you have now and replace them with a solid piece of steel where your shocks are now. Same punishing/skittish ride without the need to pay for the punishment.

tell us how you really feel lol!

Undrstm8ed 08-17-2017 11:41 PM

Re: Which shocks to get?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboybilly9mile (Post 2732685)
You don't have to off road to experience and enjoy the benefits of the Bilsteins. After owning new OEM gas shocks on the new vehicle, Ranchos and Bilsteins, I can tell you from personal experience that if you want to experience Ranchos yet want to save money, just take the shocks you have now and replace them with a solid piece of steel where your shocks are now. Same punishing/skittish ride without the need to pay for the punishment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnday (Post 2732688)
Crap, the $14 shocks have to be better than what's there now. I had a set of procomps for about 100 miles or so, then got some good Fox. I don't offroad either, unless twotracks and logging trails are offroad.
If you're not going to have it for long, you may as well go cheap, at the least, stock replacement.
Whatever you put on there, has to be an improvement in safety alone.;)

Agreed...

However, I must admit and this may not exactly apply to this particular instance. But If i was on a forum and the thought rolled around the back of my head that I may at some point in the near future throw my rig on the classifieds section of said forum after.. and bare with me here, I am just generalizing. Don't nail me to cross yet...

But if quite a few people who saw my post knew that every thing I ever did on my vehicle was on the cheapest aspect possible. And Again.. I am NOT talking just getting the best price on a quality component but just the general "Dollar Store" mentality of repair just to get by or say its done I think that would give means for a rather difficult sales pitch unless the perfect ass for every seat comes waving his arm at you and just chucks his wallet at you because well.. he's an idiot to start with.

And again I AM NOT insinuating anything bad about your decision making skills, Just if anything since you're already using rockauto and you dont plan on keeping it. At least put factory standard on it so it remains stock.

hope that makes sense

a_hynes 08-18-2017 05:21 AM

Re: Which shocks to get?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboybilly9mile (Post 2732685)
You don't have to off road to experience and enjoy the benefits of the Bilsteins. After owning new OEM gas shocks on the new vehicle, Ranchos and Bilsteins, I can tell you from personal experience that if you want to experience Ranchos yet want to save money, just take the shocks you have now and replace them with a solid piece of steel where your shocks are now. Same punishing/skittish ride without the need to pay for the punishment.

I sense a bit of sarcasm there lol. And when I say she won't be around much longer I mean that she's getting pretty old and more and more things are starting to fail. Which for me is fine cuz I'll just come right back to the forums and get help (yes, even from you cowboy, sarcasm and all). But also, depending on the finances, we're looking to get a car that's more fuel efficient for the 300 miles I drive to and from work each week. So I'd say something that'll last a good 60k to 70k miles, and that's cost-effective (a.k.a. "cheap" without actually saying the word "cheap").

WVJefo 08-18-2017 12:32 PM

Re: Which shocks to get?
 
Go with KBY (KYB?) Not expensive and so far have been OK by me. Got them off Rockauto.

cowboybilly9mile 08-18-2017 01:50 PM

Re: Which shocks to get?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_hynes (Post 2732782)
I sense a bit of sarcasm there lol..

None intended. However the post does afford advice based on a (not so pleasant) personal experience, and therefore does suggest not buying a particular brand, especially if you don't want to throw extra money at something with a for sale sign in it's near future.

Undrstm8ed 08-18-2017 06:37 PM

Re: Which shocks to get?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_hynes (Post 2732782)
I sense a bit of sarcasm there lol. And when I say she won't be around much longer I mean that she's getting pretty old and more and more things are starting to fail. Which for me is fine cuz I'll just come right back to the forums and get help (yes, even from you cowboy, sarcasm and all). But also, depending on the finances, we're looking to get a car that's more fuel efficient for the 300 miles I drive to and from work each week. So I'd say something that'll last a good 60k to 70k miles, and that's cost-effective (a.k.a. "cheap" without actually saying the word "cheap").


Cowboy sarcastic?! Negative Ghost Rider... he just doesn't pull any punches or have a yelp page.. lmao

Nothing wrong with a man who tells you how it is even if it's not exactly what you wanna hear.

a_hynes 08-19-2017 05:36 PM

Re: Which shocks to get?
 
Can't argue that logic!!

art487 08-20-2017 11:43 AM

Re: Which shocks to get?
 
w22awwwwwwswwssdwwaselmb
Know are you
[QUOTE=RoberticusMaximusszs2s;d2732672]tnhey'll be better than the $20wdSD s fug speciwals lol! i'm thinkjing about usindg ranchos anext. i put on $25 ex monroesdsfroswjuxm oreily's a few yefyxars ago, and they have been diminishing in performance. but7x they weren't todo bad for the firsw
t 10,000 milesd or so![/zswwwwwwc
zswwwwccc
Cygne

----------

C'est FC fcffrffff y y y 77y7wct fgcc FC FC fcffrffff wssss2r2wFCwes s z y7r3wwwrr4rde re ese try r2w

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

RoberticusMaximus 08-20-2017 02:27 PM

Re: Which shocks to get?
 
Whert da herll just happened there??? Lol


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:11 PM.