Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Audio / Video (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/audio-video/)
-   -   Replacing My AM/FM/CD Radio (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/audio-video/141311-replacing-am-fm-cd-radio.html)

Waterlooboy2hp 04-01-2017 09:01 AM

Replacing My AM/FM/CD Radio

At some point, I want to replace the AM/FM/CD radio in my 2000 Ranger, with a plain old AM/FM non-digital, manual tune unit.

Not sure just which radio I will use yet. The salvage yard, that I deal with, was there when god was an altar boy, so I have lots to choose from. Can I just remove the existing radio, without causing any computerized alarms to go off?? ----- John

Skylark65 04-01-2017 09:21 AM

Yes, you can remove & replace the radio without setting off alarms and such. Your bigger issue is going to be wiring in an older radio and getting it to work.

Grubb44 04-01-2017 10:46 AM

You should be able to pull a "basic" radio out of another ranger and they SHOULD plug right in. The CD player was an option. When you pull the radio out of the donor truck, make sure it has 4 speakers. The reason I say that is because when I pulled the stock radio out of my single cab 03 ranger, it didn't have rear speakers, so I had to run wires and install speakers and put them into my aftermarket radio. Which is no big deal but going to a stock radio, if it's not internally wires for rear speakers, then you won't have them.

Waterlooboy2hp 04-01-2017 11:59 AM

Re: Replacing My AM/FM/CD Radio

[QUOTE= Your bigger issue is going to be wiring in an older radio and getting it to work.[/QUOTE]

================================================== ======================

Thanks for that info. At least I don`t have to worry about having things go wrong from the start. As long as I have 12 volts for power, as well as speaker and antenna hookups, I should be good to go. ---- John

Waterlooboy2hp 04-01-2017 12:19 PM

[QUOTE=Grubb44;2713798]You should be able to pull a "basic" radio out of another ranger and they SHOULD plug right in. The CD player was an option.

==========================================

I really don`t have any use for more than 1, or 2 speakers. Figure I will just hook up to my 2 rear speakers anyway. I would like to find something other than a Ford radio. Something that is just different. Once I remove my existing radio, I will know how much room I have to work with. Got to add a radio to my junk yard shopping list. ---- John

hyghwayman 04-03-2017 08:31 AM

I just pulled my stock plain Jane am/fm radio out of my 2001 Ranger. You can have it if you want it. Replaced it with a head unit from a 1998 F350 XLT - it has am/fm, CD/Cassette player.

crixus 04-23-2017 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyghwayman (Post 2714062)
I just pulled my stock plain Jane am/fm radio out of my 2001 Ranger. You can have it if you want it. Replaced it with a head unit from a 1998 F350 XLT - it has am/fm, CD/Cassette player.

Cassette player, that's awesome. Old school all the way! :cool:

hyghwayman 04-27-2017 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crixus (Post 2717133)
Cassette player, that's awesome. Old school all the way! :cool:

lol, thanks
8Track would be the shitz :p