Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Ford Ranger Discussion (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/)
-   -   Financially too deep on my 2002 XLT 2wd Standard cab (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/140894-financially-deep-2002-xlt-2wd-standard-cab.html)

EaOutlaw1969 02-27-2017 04:49 AM

Financially too deep on my 2002 XLT 2wd Standard cab

I got my Ranger by trading my Harley Sportster that I couldn't ride because of my disability. I had about $4500 in the Sportster at the time and when I got my Ranger it was Worth close to the same price.

Because of my bad back and neck it has taken me nearly two years to do the work that normally would have taken me less than two months, (working on it during the weekends).

Some of the delay has been financial ( I can only afford to spend so much each month on my truck anyways).

To try and keep this short I have spent around 4500 just in parts and I see no end in sight.

The worse part is I have only driven the truck around the block a few times just for road test purposes.

When I got my truck I noticed that some of my 2.3 DOHC spark plug boots did not fit all the way into the head like number one does.

With the intake in place I could not tell if the center section of the valve cover gasket was in place properly or not and I knew I had a VC leak.

So I dismissed the problem thinking the PO did not install the gasket right so I thought the plug wires were being held up by the gasket.

I finally got my VC gasket off and cleaned out each spark plug hole and found the gasket was good but as had bad grommets causing the leak.

While I had it apart I went to install new Double platinum plugs and I found the PO did not use anti seize on the threads plus did not tighten them down properly.

The reason the plug wires would not go all the way into the head properly is because the spark plugs were not all the way seated.

So I put anti seize on the threads and slowly worked the new plugs in and out until I thought the plugs were seated properly.

At this point two out of four plus were in all the way but the back two are still about a 1/4 from being seated.

So I pulled number 3 and 4 plugs cleaned the threads adding new anti seize and tried again.

This is where number 4 felt like it was trashing the thread and started to lock up.

I knew I couldn't get the plug back out without trashing the head worse so I just tightened them up the best I could.

Currently both number 3 and 4 plugs are still not seated properly and may leak compression.

I added up all the parts I still need or may need not counting this new problem with the head and I still have to spend about 3k to get the truck where I would feel comfortable with my wife driving it as a back up vehicle. Or for me to use just to go to the doctors or get out of the house every once in a while.

I found a rebuilt head for about 770 then I would need timing chain parts etc not to mention work like this where I have to bend over the hood kills my neck and back and I am pretty sure I can't do it or it would take a very long time doing what I can when my pain level allows me to.

Anyways If I traded it in I would be lucky to get 1800-2000

If I sold it I doubt I would get enough even to cover the cost of all my new parts.

Heck I have 1150 just in new tires and wheels with zero miles on everything.

The worst part is many of the parts I have tried to buy from Ford no longer exists.

I am not sure what to do so I figured I would just vent my frustrations here and see if someone from the outside looking in can see a little clearer.

Fasttrackranger 02-27-2017 05:16 AM

Re: Financially too deep on my 2002 XLT 2wd Standard cab

Well dont feel too bad i have a buddy that just had VW buy back his car and he went out and spent 10 grand on a 2004 ex cab 2wd auto 2.3 with 170,000 mi. The worst part is its beat all to shit. Maybe you can find a sucker to buy it

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

EaOutlaw1969 02-27-2017 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fasttrackranger (Post 2708199)
Well dont feel too bad i have a buddy that just had VW buy back his car and he went out and spent 10 grand on a 2004 ex cab 2wd auto 2.3 with 170,000 mi. The worst part is its beat all to shit. Maybe you can find a sucker to buy it

That sucks.

I have too much respect for myself to do what you suggest.

I would sooner part my truck out.

Fasttrackranger 02-27-2017 05:47 AM

So the plug threads are jacked up? Could you just put inserts in them?

EaOutlaw1969 02-27-2017 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fasttrackranger (Post 2708203)
So the plug threads are jacked up? Could you just put inserts in them?

Yeah the threads are toast, however I have new plugs in the holes, once I get the intake back on I will know if they will leak compression or not.

If they do not leak compression I will just leave them alone as the platinum plugs will likely outlast the truck.

I am just sick of tossing money at this truck, thankfully most of the cash I spent has nothing to do with the engine, so I could work towards a 5.0 conversion and not feel too bad about how much I spent on the truck.

dvrich 02-27-2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EaOutlaw1969 (Post 2708237)
Yeah the threads are toast, however I have new plugs in the holes, once I get the intake back on I will know if they will leak compression or not.

If they do not leak compression I will just leave them alone as the platinum plugs will likely outlast the truck.

I am just sick of tossing money at this truck, thankfully most of the cash I spent has nothing to do with the engine, so I could work towards a 5.0 conversion and not feel too bad about how much I spent on the truck.

The previous owner must have been a level 5 idiot to play that rough with an aluminum head.
If you are unable to work how can you afford to screw with this?

stang99x 02-27-2017 04:54 PM

You could get a whole motor for less than the 770 price you mention for a head.
You could as mentioned above thread cert the holes for far less. And as for worrying about the loss of compression, I'd not even concern myself with it. All the fords that were ejecting plugs from 98-06 were seated on 3 or 4 threads max and worked fine. As long as it's tight, it'll seal. If it wasn't sealed, you'd know. Sounds like a helicopter under the hood when one isn't sealed up good.

EaOutlaw1969 02-28-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvrich (Post 2708279)
The previous owner must have been a level 5 idiot to play that rough with an aluminum head.
If you are unable to work how can you afford to screw with this?

Your right the PO was a punk kid that ran a muck messing up everything he touched.

I have had this truck for almost two years working on it when my pain level lets me however heavy work like pulling a cylinder head or engine is not a option for me.

Any major mechanical work I will have to barter for or pay cash for.

I just barely get by with my early retirement from my pension so your right I cannot afford to fix the head or replace the engine any time soon.

As it is I have sold off all my other toys to get my truck to where it is today.

EaOutlaw1969 03-04-2017 02:11 PM

Well I decided to get a new intake and put the truck back together, instead of me sinking more cash in it I am giving it to my sister whom desperately needs a vehicle.
My wife and I just picked up a new to us Mini Cooper and I will be driving the Hhr that we purchased new and just paid off.

I guess it's for the best this way if my sister has to spend even 3 k on the truck over time it will be worth that and more considering all the new parts I put on it.

So anyways I probably will not be back on this site unless one day I get lucky and end up with a brand new Ranger one day.

Garfield 03-05-2017 09:04 AM

I had the same problem with plugs when I swapped from the OEM ones. Couldn't get #3 in without forcing it, ended up breaking a piece of porcelain and dropping it into the motor... after all that was done, compression test, no damage thankfully, got a threaded insert for the plug hole and all is ok. Be careful with that stuff!

I just read your last post. Sorry to hear it but good luck with your new car!

EaOutlaw1969 03-27-2017 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfield (Post 2709265)
I had the same problem with plugs when I swapped from the OEM ones. Couldn't get #3 in without forcing it, ended up breaking a piece of porcelain and dropping it into the motor... after all that was done, compression test, no damage thankfully, got a threaded insert for the plug hole and all is ok. Be careful with that stuff!

I just read your last post. Sorry to hear it but good luck with your new car!

Thanks for the reply, as you can see I am back. This truck has become a major Pain in the ass. Now I cannot even give it away to my sister.

After getting the new intake manifold installed the truck seemed to run great yet when accelerating the engine in neutral slowly to around 1500 to 2000 rpm I hear what sounds like a slight rod knock.

So I changed the oil and filter since I noticed a fuel smell in the oil yet it looked clear and clean. I used Ford 5w20 with a K&N oil filter.

Still it's no better, I will say with the hood closed windows down driving it around the block the truck sounds normal.

The oil pressure gauge is working and shows great oil pressure.

Sometime today I plan on cutting open the old oil filter to see if I can find any metal shavings.

My sister has moved on and got her own vehicle and I am thinking I will keep the Ranger since I went around looking at cars and trucks with payments I could afford yet none of them are easy like the Ranger to get in to with my bad back and neck. Plus I have all these new parts and time invested.

So I am thinking about finding a low mileage newer ranger that was wrecked and paying someone to swap the engine and trans.

I changed the transmission fluid while under there and the drain plug magnet was three times the size from metal shavings and the fluid was burnt and black

The trans seems to shift ok except it is still a little hard to find first gear

I am still not 100 percent sure what I will do with this truck but I am sick of tossing money and time at it.

At this point I am not sure if a newer low mileage engine and trans will bolt up and work.

I am open to suggestions, I love the Ranger yet how much is too much to put into this truck that I couldn't sell for fraction of what I have in it already.

Btw I ended up selling the HHR because it was in way worse shape than my wife let me know about plus it killed my back and neck getting in and out of it.

oldcrowalki 03-29-2017 10:37 AM

Geez---doesn't make sense. If the HHR bothered your neck and back, then what are you doing with a mini-cooper even as a passenger?

At some point, sometimes people have to go to the dealership or a trusted mechanic and get things sorted out---could save money in the long run.

The HHR was driven by your wife, yet you never noticed what shape it was in, even though it was on your property?

Fordfan444 03-29-2017 11:13 AM

Damn, it sounds like you've had a lot of bad luck with your Ranger.
I believe you're the one I sold the snorkel to.
I feel so bad about that kid messing the aluminum head up on your Ranger. If I knew a 2007 head would work for you, I would just give you the thing for the cost of shipping.
On another note, what you're describing as a knock in the engine could be those useless intake runner flaps that they put in the 2.3 DOHC from 2001.5 - 2003. Those things are nothing but trouble, and I would go to a 2004 + intake.

EaOutlaw1969 04-03-2017 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldcrowalki (Post 2713363)
Geez---doesn't make sense. If the HHR bothered your neck and back, then what are you doing with a mini-cooper even as a passenger?

At some point, sometimes people have to go to the dealership or a trusted mechanic and get things sorted out---could save money in the long run.

The HHR was driven by your wife, yet you never noticed what shape it was in, even though it was on your property?

My wife has a Mini because happy wife happy life. Your right even as a passenger it is near to impossible to get in and out of that damn little car.
Which is why it is important to get my truck going.

I went around looking for a vehicle and a payment for myself yet anything in my price range is old and wore out or a damn econobox 4 door which I can't get in or out of.

So mission number one repair or get repaired my truck so I can drive it when needed which is not very often, I just use it to go to the doctors and I would like to get out of the house every once in a while.

No I didn't notice the shape it was in, I just never drove in it or did anything other than help my wife check the oil and coolant perhaps change a few bulbs.
My back and neck keep me couch or bed bound most of the time so when I do feel good or at least somewhat better the last thing I want to do is something that I will know will hurt me.

And yes we do pay for work and diagnostics and have our mechanics look the vehicles over for needed repairs yet the lazy bastards always say everything is fine.

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordfan444 (Post 2713364)
Damn, it sounds like you've had a lot of bad luck with your Ranger.
I believe you're the one I sold the snorkel to.
I feel so bad about that kid messing the aluminum head up on your Ranger. If I knew a 2007 head would work for you, I would just give you the thing for the cost of shipping.
On another note, what you're describing as a knock in the engine could be those useless intake runner flaps that they put in the 2.3 DOHC from 2001.5 - 2003. Those things are nothing but trouble, and I would go to a 2004 + intake.

Thanks for the offer that is very kind of you but If the head has to come off this truck is done.

I did a little diagnostic work since my last post, I let my truck run until it warmed up and started to make the noise.
Then I decided out of desperation to remove the serpentine belt just in the off chance it was a belt driven item making the noise.
To my surprise The noise went away with the belt disconnected,

The only thing that seems to be making noise when spun by hand is the cooling fan drive bearing. It also has a little play in it.

At first I thought it was just a water pump but no it is part of the front timing cover.

According to the research I did the intake valve cover and timing cover has to come off to replace this cover. Which means timing chain and other Preventive maintenance parts. Which I do not want to do.

So today I plan to removing the fan and clutch plus fan shroud and pully.
I and going to remove the snap ring that helps to retain the bearing in place and see if I can get the old bearing and shaft out without destroying the timing cover.
If so I will just buy a new doorman cover with bearing and shaft and transplant it into the old cover.

Hopefully this will work because it will save my truck and save a lot of time and money.

Again thanks for the offer for the head, if I end up needing it I would be happy to pay whatever your asking price is for it when the time comes.

EaOutlaw1969 04-03-2017 07:23 AM

Well I killed myself today working on this truck from hell.

I tried every trick in the book to get the fan clutch off with no luck.

The sad part is the fan clutch is new. I installed it when I got the truck.

I even cut the clutch off so I could heat the nut up with two torches with no luck.

I guess I am just not strong enough. I will be purchasing a socket large enough to try and get it off with a impact then I can continue trying to replace the bearing and shaft from the timing cover.

I know I doubt it will work but at this point it is my last shot of saving this truck.

It is just not worth the money to pay someone to do plus it would take forever to save that kind of cash up.

Anyways I am off to the couch to lay on my heating pad.

I probably will not be back online for awhile. Until hopefully one day I have some good news
If my experiment works out it will save a bunch of 2.3 duratec owners lots of time