Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Cleaning and Detailing (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/cleaning-and-detailing/)
-   -   Bumpers! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/cleaning-and-detailing/140544-bumpers.html)

luccatavares 02-02-2017 03:00 PM

Bumpers!

My bumpers and grill are chrome l. Very good condition.
Question;
Should I paint all black? The truck so already black and eventually will get painted not sure what color yet.
O was thinking on just use dip coat. Easy to remover later. Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

whiskeymike 02-02-2017 05:19 PM

Re: Bumpers!

I would use a vinyl wrap instead of plasti-dip on the bumper.
To get paint to stick you'd need to strip the chrome. Even etching primer doesn't stick to chrome well.

luccatavares 02-02-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskeymike (Post 2703587)
I would use a vinyl wrap instead of plasti-dip on the bumper.
To get paint to stick you'd need to strip the chrome. Even etching primer doesn't stick to chrome well.

Oh really? Good to know!!!
But do you think it is a cool mod?

LuccaT

SB03Ranger 02-03-2017 07:22 AM

You dont have to strip the chrome for it to stick

My Bumpers have been Plasti Dipped for 4 years with zero peeling. With washes every week.

luccatavares 02-03-2017 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SB03Ranger (Post 2703692)
You dont have to strip the chrome for it to stick

My Bumpers have been Plasti Dipped for 4 years with zero peeling. With washes every week.

Cool cool. Black? Can I see a pic?

LuccaT

whiskeymike 02-03-2017 09:14 AM

I said paint wouldn't stick. .....

But plastic dip on my wife's chrome grill started coming off after a year or so, about 15,000 miles. I cleaned it very good, too. Vinyl wrap last alot longer and holds up to rocks way better.

luccatavares 02-03-2017 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskeymike (Post 2703720)
I said paint wouldn't stick. .....

But plastic dip on my wife's chrome grill started coming off after a year or so, about 15,000 miles. I cleaned it very good, too. Vinyl wrap last alot longer and holds up to rocks way better.

I see!!! EBay vinyl wrap?

LuccaT

whiskeymike 02-03-2017 10:41 AM

Oracal 651 works good, stretches easy. Watch some you tube videos. $10 should get you plenty for the bumper.

Plasti-dip will work, but it won't last as long on the bumper. For the grill, Plastidip would be a lot easier, and it doesn't see as many rock as the bumper.
What year is your truck

luccatavares 02-03-2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskeymike (Post 2703745)
Oracal 651 works good, stretches easy. Watch some you tube videos. $10 should get you plenty for the bumper.

Plasti-dip will work, but it won't last as long on the bumper. For the grill, Plastidip would be a lot easier, and it doesn't see as many rock as the bumper.
What year is your truck

Good to know!!!
My chrome looks brand new, I just want to look more aggressive then I thought black out everything would do.

LuccaT