Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   8-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/8-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   Please help newbie (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/8-cylinder-tech/140202-please-help-newbie.html)

Nickvolvo40 01-10-2017 10:52 PM

Please help newbie

I need some assistance ,I have a 98 5.0 conversion rear end 8.8 out of an mercury mountaineer.Thw guy I purchased it from welded spring perches on the top and left the old ones on.I purchased a DJM rear flip shackle kit and noticed that the perch from the explorer is still on there can I still flip the springs underneath and use his aftermarket spring plate and brackets, and does anyone know how much of a drop that will be .The springs are the OEM ranger 3.0 along with the shackles

NoPower 01-11-2017 02:30 PM

New B

Welcome Nick, Glad you found us. Have fun and enjoy FRF. Sorry I don't have a clue.
From Don
Grove City, Ohio.

desertrunner33 01-11-2017 06:43 PM

First off this has absolutely nothing to do with a v8 conversion and should not be listed in this section.

That being said switching to spring under from spring over will be a 4" drop with stock length shackles.

RAT Ranger 01-11-2017 08:18 PM

Ummmm......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickvolvo40 (Post 2698698)
I need some assistance ,I have a 98 5.0 conversion rear end 8.8 out of an mercury mountaineer.Thw guy I purchased it from welded spring perches on the top and left the old ones on.I purchased a DJM rear flip shackle kit and noticed that the perch from the explorer is still on there can I still flip the springs underneath and use his aftermarket spring plate and brackets, and does anyone know how much of a drop that will be .The springs are the OEM ranger 3.0 along with the shackles

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertrunner33 (Post 2698868)
That being said switching to spring under from spring over will be a 4" drop with stock length shackles.

=======================
As stated by Deserrunner33, putting the springs under the axle will get your4" of drop.

If you do that & the shackle flip your gonna get approx. 7" of drop and will more than likely be in need of a C-notch as the axle will be hittin the frame.

So I would recommend one or the other, NOT BOTH without serious modification (C-notch).

JAMMANICA 01-11-2017 08:35 PM

Re: Please help newbie

I'm no expert as my 8.8 is still in the mountaineer at the moment, but couldn't he have not welded anything on and just put the expo 8.8 top the springs like it is on the expo and gained the same 4" drop?

desertrunner33 01-11-2017 08:39 PM

Re: Please help newbie

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMMANICA (Post 2698921)
I'm no expert as my 8.8 is still in the mountaineer at the moment, but couldn't he have not welded anything on and just put the expo 8.8 top the springs like it is on the expo and gained the same 4" drop?

Yeah that's what we just said. The problem is it looks like he has an extended shackle so that combined with the spring under conversion will result in about 7" of drop as stated above

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk