Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/)
-   -   E brake stuck (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/13974-brake-stuck.html)

talloak051 07-01-2010 03:42 PM

E brake stuck

I have a 2005 Ranger FX4 Level II with a 5 speed - everything stock. I have been using the parking brake/emergency brake lately pretty often. I noticed it was not totally releasing when I pulled the handle, so I would put it in first like normal and drive and it would 'pop' off.

On my way home Tuesday night, I stopped at a gas station 1/2 mile from home and applied the e-brake as usual. When I came back out, it seemed to be sticking a bit, but I drove it home anyway since it was a short distance. When I got back, I applied the e-brake and released it a few times, trying to get it unstuck but it didn't work. As a side note, it was pouring rain and there was up to 4" of water on the roads I had to drive through.

Went to go to work yesterday morning. The truck will reverse just fine, but when I put it in first gear to drive, the drivers side rear tire totally 'seizes' up and skids on the pavement. The tire will rotate about one full rotation before it catches and skids. I turned it off and tried pushing it by hand, same thing. I just reversed it into a parking spot and haven't moved it since.

I am thinking that maybe the brake return spring in my drum brake gave out and is now sitting in two peices. This is a northern vehicle with more rust than a southern vehicle.

Thanks for your attention

capnmoe313 08-16-2010 09:42 AM

Re: E brake stuck

I have the same problem. If you corrected the problem please let me know the cause and cure.

moe

sgtsandman 08-16-2010 10:17 AM

My guess is that the one cable has rusted inside the casing and seized. Even with frequent use, sooner or later they will do that or snap.

Just to be sure, give the brakes a good inspection to make sure there isn't a problem with an adjuster or something broke internally and jammed.

darkstar_420 08-16-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtsandman (Post 174850)
My guess is that the one cable has rusted inside the casing and seized. Even with frequent use, sooner or later they will do that or snap.

Just to be sure, give the brakes a good inspection to make sure there isn't a problem with an adjuster or something broke internally and jammed.

x2

jggiant 12-08-2010 02:55 PM

I'm having the same problem. Were you able to correct the issue with the suggestions?

Thanks

More_Cowbell 12-08-2010 03:02 PM

well to limp it home you can get under the truck and turn the adjuster star on the rear brakes till its as small as possible so the brakes wont catch and to get the parking brake cable out just get up under the dash and disconnect the cable from the brake itself and take it out and then take off the rear drum to get the cable out of the brake so you can replace it

L-Mo 12-09-2010 10:40 AM

had the same problem. replaced all the cables.L-Mo's happy again.:D

drppdyllwrngr 12-09-2010 04:22 PM

if you get stuck with it on, release it, then take a hammer and tap the back of the drums. normally, this will release it.

talloak051 12-11-2010 07:39 AM

The E brake was more than stuck. The brake return spring had snapped and was in several pieces. Remember, this truck was in Wisconsin for 5 winters. So I replaced the whole spring kit on both sides. The dealer ripped me off, plus they had horrible customer service. Now I have found a good local guy. Never going to a dealer again for anything if I can help it.

jggiant 12-22-2010 04:03 PM

I'm not sure if I fixed it, but I replaced the left side E-brake cable and the brake shoes on the left side (they cracked, assumingly from the E-brake problem). So far, I have not had an issue with it again, but I've been using the E-brake sparingly--luckily I live in a flat area.

Double0RangerRubber 11-04-2013 07:59 AM

So I know this post is super old, but I'm having the same exact problem. Last night I went to set the ebrake and i use it quite often. So i pushed the pedal and it felt normal then something like popped or let it move farther. Now I have the same exact problem... I pulled the rotor and there are no broken springs, the shoes look like dump, and need to be changed, Could that have something to do with it? Or is it safe to say it is just the cable?

MikeyKc 11-04-2013 09:14 AM

happend to me I just pulled the cables and dont have e-brake now. I looked them up they are pretty cheap. Mine rubbed and worn a hole through the outer covering and rusted up.

but Im auto so I have park.

Double0RangerRubber 11-06-2013 07:10 AM

Thats what happened to me, it got a hole in it, Ill get a new one someday..

Rooks 11-06-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drppdyllwrngr (Post 263317)
if you get stuck with it on, release it, then take a hammer and tap the back of the drums. normally, this will release it.

Mine got frozen one year up here. Tow truck driver came out and just hit it with a hammer. Worked swell. But yeah, if it happens more then once you should definitely pull apart the drum and make sure everything is up to par.