Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   Ranger engine code question (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/13902-ranger-engine-code-question.html)

98offroad 06-29-2010 10:50 AM

Ranger engine code question

my Ranger's check engine light came on. The tech told me it's code PO-179 Fuel Comp Sensor. Does anyone have any idea what the heck that is or what's involved in the replacement of that part?
Any help would be appreciated

mickblock 06-29-2010 12:30 PM

Re: Ranger engine code question

Fuel composition sensor circuit high.
It doesn't say the circuit is malfunctioning and it doesn't say it's out of performance range. So I don't know if this means that the sensor circiut has too much voltage on it or what. Goddam OBD codes are supposed to tell you how to fix a car? My arse! First time I've ever heard of a fuel composition sensor. :D

98offroad 06-30-2010 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickblock (Post 146494)
Fuel composition sensor circuit high.
It doesn't say the circuit is malfunctioning and it doesn't say it's out of performance range. So I don't know if this means that the sensor circiut has too much voltage on it or what. Goddam OBD codes are supposed to tell you how to fix a car? My arse! First time I've ever heard of a fuel composition sensor. :D

ok..my bad, the code is P 0179 Fuel Composition Sensor High Input.

mickblock 06-30-2010 07:28 AM

Nah, I'm not talking about the way you relayed the code information dude.
I'm saying that the code isn't saying that the circuit is malfunctioning or detecting out of range conditions. There are seperate codes for those conditions. Your not getting those codes.
It just says about the circuit, that it has high input. It's a standard code statement used to relate the condition of almost all sensor circuits. And I don't know what the hell low input or high input means.

Vrod21 06-30-2010 09:46 AM

Code P0179 can be caused by:
-contaminated fuel
-bad sensor
-bad connection

These sensors are usually on a flex fuel vehicle to help the computer determine which fuel in being used. I would start off trouble shooting by adding "Heet" fuel system cleaner, or a similar product to the fuel. This will clean out the contaminates from the fuel, i.e. water, etc. Then replace the fuel filter. Reset the CEL and see if it fixed the problem.

If not move to the Sensor. First clean the connector, if still no luck replace the sensor.

98offroad 06-30-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vrod21 (Post 146848)
Code P0179 can be caused by:
-contaminated fuel
-bad sensor
-bad connection

These sensors are usually on a flex fuel vehicle to help the computer determine which fuel in being used. I would start off trouble shooting by adding "Heet" fuel system cleaner, or a similar product to the fuel. This will clean out the contaminates from the fuel, i.e. water, etc. Then replace the fuel filter. Reset the CEL and see if it fixed the problem.

If not move to the Sensor. First clean the connector, if still no luck replace the sensor.

ok....thanks guys...I have my weekend project.......ok a few hours on Saturday...lol