Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/off-topic/)
-   -   Yard critters, what ya have? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/off-topic/138393-yard-critters-ya.html)

johnday 09-05-2016 05:49 AM

Yard critters, what ya have?

3 Attachment(s)
Sitting in my living room last night, these wandered in as usual. Yes, those are triplets. Also mom and a single fawn. Get a spike and a forkhorn too at times. Also get a bear off/on, coyotes, fox, and a whole army of squirrels. What do you guys get?

Skylark65 09-05-2016 09:53 AM

Re: Yard critters, what ya have?

we have more deer around here than I can count. about a dozen fawns just around my house this year. some really nice bucks the last couple of years as well ( trying to dig up some decent pics but I can't find them).

we've also got a growing population of black bear ( fuckers got in the garbage every couple of days this year), and the coyote numbers are on the rise. had probably close to 50 feral cats roaming the neighbogrhood last year, but I think the coyote have been eating them so we're down to around a dozen or so. and we have a good number of grey and black squirrel, and some groundhogs too.

a few other's I've seen around but are not as common include grey and red fox, bobcats, mountain lion ( game commission denies this but I know what myself and others have seen), and fishers. I've seen a couple of flying squirrels as well.

cowboybilly9mile 09-05-2016 10:24 AM

Between the two places I've got there are......moose, deer, cougars, wolves in the area (thanks for nothing on that one), coyotes, fox, rattlesnakes, bull snakes, gardener snakes, marmots, skunk, porcupine, rabbit, wayyyy too many turkeys (flock of turkeys = big shitstorm and they don't mind living in town at all), eagles, owl, quail, grouse, hawks (they are cool to watch), crows, squirrels, a few gophers or ground squirrels, and a few frogs. And not to forget, stray coons once in awhile.

Himecraig 09-05-2016 10:24 AM

Yea deer, squirrel and lots of lizards that the dog likes to sniff out.

Used to have a neighbor next door that never cleaned her pool and had I think what's called a pacific chorus frog...about the size of a thumb nail and all together they make a huge sound at night. Developers finally knocked the house down and took out the pool so no more noise.

Last few years lots of turkeys and turkey hawks flying around the pine trees in back.
Those turkeys stand in the middle of the road and dare you to hit them and if you slow down they'll peck at your tires.

It's hilarious watching domesticated animals tolerating each other:

cowboybilly9mile 09-05-2016 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Himecraig (Post 2670525)
Those turkeys stand in the middle of the road and dare you to hit them and if you slow down they'll peck at your tires.

And chase after and peck at people, and good luck trying to kick one in the head and take it out.

Skylark65 09-05-2016 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboybilly9mile (Post 2670533)
And chase after and peck at people, and good luck trying to kick one in the head and take it out.

we've got a lot of turkey too. but they typically shy away from people. the Canadian geese on the other hand, they are nasty flying pigs.

johnday 09-05-2016 12:15 PM

I guess I'll add to the list for around me then.
Cougars, yes, tan ones, and black ones, I've seen both.
The DNR, and the local "woodsmen", deny it, but we have a few wolves hanging around as well. I'm well aware of what a wolf looks like, I studied them as a layman for years. Up at the north end of the Mackinac Bridge, there is a rest area on the north bound side. They have a "black wolf" taxidermied, identical to the few I've seen in the UP, and the ones I've seen more locally.
Then the porcupines, 'coons, 'possums, bobcat, turkeys, loons, canada geese, sandhill cranes, and the list goes on and on.
Oh, and the raptors, the feathered kind, and assortment of owls.
On the 4th of July week, and Labor day week, we get a lot of animals from downstate as well. Luckily they return to their houses under the rocks and logs downstate after a couple days. Those are the worse.

How about photos guys?;)

cowboybilly9mile 09-05-2016 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnday (Post 2670560)
How about photos guys?;)

It always put a smile on my face seeing a coyote hanging from a fence post. :laugh:

johnday 09-05-2016 12:40 PM

Deleted double post

----------

Ya, a lot of people hate coyotes. I like seeing them, and as long as they aren't hanging around too much, I'll leave them alone. But, there is a loaded .223 sitting within a couple steps of my chair, that will be used if needed, and has been.
We supposedly have a feral hog problem here, never have seen one though.
I usually leave the house around 0330 every morning through the week, it's pretty dark, and I sometimes see critters I really can't I.D.
Of course Big Foot has been reported a couple times!!:eek:LOL

Skylark65 09-05-2016 01:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
found a couple on my computer. first 2 pics were last fall in my backyard, last pic my friend who lives 2 miles down the road sent me

rachit 09-15-2016 01:56 PM

Saw a bobcat last week. Coyotes and fox. I've followed wolf tracks while out hiking, and saw one walking in the foothills. Lots of animals come up from the city too but they don't stay too long

johnday 09-15-2016 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachit (Post 2673222)
Lots of animals come up from the city too but they don't stay too long

Ya, we get those too. I'd rather hang with a pack of wild wolves.;)

02RangerFX4 09-15-2016 02:17 PM

Bearcoons everywhere.

johnday 09-15-2016 02:30 PM

Bearcoons?

02RangerFX4 09-15-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnday (Post 2673234)
Bearcoons?

Bear size raccoon