Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   2.9 Liter Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/2-9-liter-tech/)
-   -   fuel filter location on 1986 dual gas tank (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/2-9-liter-tech/13798-fuel-filter-location-1986-dual-gas-tank.html)

braydon 06-26-2010 09:58 AM

fuel filter location on 1986 dual gas tank

When the rpm's are higher, like accelerating, the truck bucks really badly and i loose almost all horsepower (to the point of loaded semi trucks passing me while going up a steep grade). Anyway i was thinking it could be the fuel filter is clogged and needs replacing, so i went to autozone and picked one up. The only problem is the filter i can see on my truck (Left frame rail just under door) is not the same as the one autozone gave me. I'm asking if the filter i was looking at was really a fuel filter, or do i need to have a filter special ordered to fit my particular truck?

FireRanger 06-26-2010 10:16 AM

Re: fuel filter location on 1986 dual gas tank

They probably gave you the wrong filter. That's where they have always been.

Since when was dual tanks a factory option? Are you sure someone didn't hack together a new fuel delivery system?

STL 06-26-2010 11:18 AM

never heard of a dual fuel tank ranger.

does the fuel filter you have on the truck have any numbers on there?

Psychopete 06-26-2010 03:05 PM

What you might be seeing is probably the high pressure secondary fuel pump. If you do not have a filter tucked in the frame rail, up stream from the secondary pump - kind of next to the driver's side exhaust manifold, you may have a canister style filter.

braydon 06-27-2010 07:58 AM

Ya its all factory. The guy that owned it before had like 2 newer rangers and wouldn't spend the time on one that sat in the field behind his house ha.

Does the secondary fuel pump look like a skinnier, longer filter?

Psychopete 06-27-2010 05:46 PM

I can't tell you for sure with out seeing what you're seeing, but if it has wires running running to it, then it is the secondary pump.

Yrac 06-28-2010 08:17 AM

Carb or Injected? Injected is on the frame rail by the cross member, on the drivers side,it has it's own little shield. Carb filter is a little thing on the end of the fuel line. Maunual says the injector one should last the "life" of the vehicle.

braydon 06-28-2010 09:23 AM

Well this truck has 164000 miles on it. its life is about up. and it is an injection.

01_ranger_4x4 06-28-2010 09:27 AM

if yours is the same as the filter on my 86 it was located on the frame rail, under the cab near the trans crossmember in between the tank and secondary fuel pump.

braydon 06-28-2010 10:26 PM

was it the canister type filter or a cartridge?

01_ranger_4x4 06-29-2010 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braydon (Post 146298)
was it the canister type filter or a cartridge?

it was the stupid cardridge one.

braydon 06-30-2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01_ranger_4x4 (Post 146353)
it was the stupid cardridge one.

oh alright that might make sense. ill try that today and see where it gets me.

braydon 07-02-2010 10:53 AM

thanks for all your help everyone its running great now!

shawnyb 11-08-2011 06:33 PM

Hi there i have the same 1986 Ford Ranger Super Cab 2.9 ltr V6 with dual gas tanks and what looks like a cartridge filter hidden inside of a black round fuel reservoir with two lines going in and two lines going out of it. Its in the right place before the secondary slender fuel pump under the cab and the trans cross member.
My question is, how do i take off the bottom plastic part in order to replace the round cartridge filter? I dont want to break anything and when i called the Ford dealership they said that they quit replacing the cartridge filter and now sell the whole fuel reservoir for about $170.
Any help on this would really be appreciated since my truck was running great until i used the secondary tank that the previous owner said she had not used which i think is why the filter is probably clogged now and the truck will turn over but wont start.
Thanks in advance.

Psychopete 11-09-2011 04:26 PM

Something that you might look into, for some reason I am thinking I read somewhere that the 86 models do not have an inline fuel filter past the frame pump, but only have a canister filter (this this the case?); I have the fuel line from the frame mounted pump to the quick disconnect on the fuel rail with a standard Ford inline fuel filter in the middle of it. I also have the bracket that holds the inline filter to the frame and a brand new filter. I don't have any fuel line clip, though. I have a reservoir from a 1988 (same generation), but these had no filter in the canister/reservoir and only the inline filter after the pump. I have no use for them, let me know if you would be interested. (these parts would convert your 86 filter set up to be like an 88).

But make sure lack of fuel is the problem, from what you describe, I would look a little more. Try spraying starting fluid into the intake and see if it will run on that. The fuel pump circuit is kind of complicated to explain, lack of fuel I would suspect something there, or at least would make sure that the pumps are getting power when they are supposed to.