Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Electrical Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/)
-   -   ScanGauge, who has them? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/13715-scangauge.html)

BryFin83 06-24-2010 02:42 AM

ScanGauge, who has them?

okay so just random thought...i have been looking at a scangauge for a while and i was wondering how do you all like them and if you have them where do you have them mounted in your truck.

01_ranger_4x4 06-24-2010 02:55 AM

Re: ScanGauge, who has them?

I have one and i love it, its very nice to be able to moniter trans temps and such. I fabbed up a custom mount to mount it near the pillar.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...c/447d554e.jpg

Redneckstone 06-24-2010 03:54 AM

I like it. its mounted with the blend mount above my mirror

Dantforth 06-24-2010 07:42 AM

Just peeking in on this thread and wonder how much technical wiring is neede to supply all of the functions? Dave

FX4 06-24-2010 11:53 AM

I had mine mounted using velcro on the column:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c.../Photo0888.jpg

FX4 06-24-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dantforth (Post 144091)
Just peeking in on this thread and wonder how much technical wiring is neede to supply all of the functions? Dave

it takes 1 second to wire up as it is plugged directly into your OBDII port under your dash, there is no actually splicing of wires or anything of that sort

ranger101 06-24-2010 12:06 PM

I love mine. I mounted it with velcro on my mirror. The wire is the perfect length to mount it there.

RangerJustin 06-24-2010 01:00 PM

have one...barely use it anymore though, just glance at it for MPGs on occasion. Nice for getting CEL codes though.

Jp7 06-24-2010 01:14 PM

I think its a waste of money. If I need obd2 information I use my laptop and AEM logging software.

RangerJustin 06-24-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp7 (Post 144162)
I think its a waste of money. If I need obd2 information I use my laptop and AEM logging software.

That costs a lot more than a scanguage though doesn't it? Almost 10x as much...

01_ranger_4x4 06-24-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerJustin (Post 144173)
That costs a lot more than a scanguage though doesn't it? Almost 10x as much...

thats kind of what i was thinking. plus who wants a damn laptop taking up the passenger seat so you can see your trans temp while climbing a sand dune? lol ill stick with my scangauge. ha ha

Redneckstone 06-24-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerJustin (Post 144159)
have one...barely use it anymore though, just glance at it for MPGs on occasion. Nice for getting CEL codes though.

I actually never use it for MPG that would just make me said lol.

Use mine constantly every time I drive. Trans Temp, Water Temp, MPH. For us guys that have Larger then stock tires and dont feel like shelling out the money for a Tuner its great to have a check up on what my actual MPH are lol

Redneckstone 06-24-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01_ranger_4x4 (Post 144177)
thats kind of what i was thinking. plus who wants a damn laptop taking up the passenger seat so you can see your trans temp while climbing a sand dune? lol ill stick with my scangauge. ha ha

Ditto, trans temp and Water all at the same time

Jp7 06-24-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01_ranger_4x4 (Post 144177)

The laptop will log faster than your eye can ever read, and you can record more than you could see. Not to mention you can compare graphs in excel or other software. Great for comparing ignition timing vs wheel torque to determine if an alcohol tune is actually advanced beyond maximum brake torque. I get AEM software for free... considering I am an AEM licensed tuner for all of their aftermarket engine management hardware and software. You can also pin extra sensors that don't come on the stock engine management into the factory engine management to log them as well... for example afr.. knock... ect..

mossyoak03 06-24-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneckstone (Post 144181)
I actually never use it for MPG that would just make me said lol.

Use mine constantly every time I drive. Trans Temp, Water Temp, MPH. For us guys that have Larger then stock tires and dont feel like shelling out the money for a Tuner its great to have a check up on what my actual MPH are lol

thats exactly what i use mine for.