Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Ford Ranger Discussion (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/)
-   -   Why no 4.0L engine for the 2-wheel drive, regular-cab Ranger? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/135-4-0l-engine-2-wheel-drive-regular-cab-ranger.html)

billay 11-29-2008 03:18 PM

Why no 4.0L engine for the 2-wheel drive, regular-cab Ranger?

I've been checkin' out the specs on the Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series, and it looks like the only way to get the 4.0L V6 is to get the 4x4 extended cab. What's the deal with that? Any Ranger experts 'round here?

Because I was thinking; man, it would be so rad to have the smallest, lightest Ranger, with that big engine hooked up to a manual tranny!

Ian F 11-29-2008 03:19 PM

It's probably because more people buy their trucks, particularly 2WD trucks, for work than they do for play.

Performance trucks may be popular with a small group of enthusiasts. But they never were a big hit.

People who are into speed and acceleration know that the best bang for the buck is in cars, especially sports cars. A lot of them have trucks, and a lot of them like trucks. But they use their trucks for hauling stuff, and their cars for hauling ass.

So basically, unless you can round up a few tens of thousands more people like you, or you want to do a swap, you're probably just going to have to forget it.

desjr1967 11-29-2008 03:20 PM

I had a regular cab 1995 ranger with a 4.0. It was a 4X4 though. I think it had to be a 4X4 or ext. cab as you stated to get the 4.0

night455 05-18-2009 08:13 AM

Well dependin on what year, my '06 is regular cab 4.0 4X4... But they have changed things the last time I built a ranger. Heck I can't even build an 09 with nearly the same option package.

SVORANGER351 05-18-2009 04:10 PM

I bought my wheels and intake off of a 2001 reg cab, 4.0 SOHC, 5 speed truck

So they are out there.

Bird76Mojo 06-29-2009 08:23 PM

Sorry to bring up an old thread here guys/gals, but I'm on the search and not having any luck. I've looked nationwide on the net, and everywhere locally with no results.

You guys are talking about almost the same truck I'm looking for. Except I want a 4x4.

I'm currently on the hunt for a rather rare configuration for a Ranger. I'm looking for a 2000 or newer, 4x4 4.0L, standard cab, standard side bed, manual tranny only.. If I could get it with a rubber floor covering that would be even better. Although the Edge model would be prefered.. Low mileage is a must, and I'm not really wanting to spend much more than 10K

If anyone here has any leads on one then PLEASE let me know. Hell, I'll even pay a finders fee via Paypal to anyone that actually finds me one, and I go buy it, in the USA. I have cash in hand. I'm not gonna make anyone rich, but I'll forward ya some easy beer money..

GB :D

RangerJustin 06-29-2009 10:17 PM

I would just like to say good luck to you! I just saw someone purchase an 08 reg cab 4.0 4x4, but auto, and those are even hard to come by.

Bird76Mojo 06-29-2009 10:25 PM

Thanks, it looks like I'll need the luck.

That said, I would consider an automatic as long as it had all of the other options I've listed.. WITH low mileage, and depending on the color.. Not a fan of the yellow.. :p

GB :D