Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   My truck ran and now it does not!! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/13423-truck-ran.html)

Crager 06-16-2010 04:48 PM

My truck ran and now it does not!!

I own a 1992 ford ranger XLT. It has a 2.3L 4cyl with A/C. I was driving down the road and stopped for gas. I put 10 dollars in at local gas station. I then proceeded to drive for about 20 min and then the engine died. I rolled it down a large hill and tried to clutch start it and got no catch. It turns over but will not start. I bought an OBD 1 Code reader and plugged it into the truck and got the codes 111 10 111 which signaled nothing wrong. The truck still will not start. I have checked all I can and have not found the problem. Anybody have any Ideas as I love my truck and would like to drive it.

mickblock 06-16-2010 05:02 PM

Re: My truck ran and now it does not!!

Your not gonna get much until you define "I checked all I can." :)

What did you do to check for

1 air

2 fuel

3 spark

Crager 06-16-2010 10:43 PM

I checked and replaced the fuel filter. I checked the fuel pump. Pulled the spark plugs and checked for spark. I am at a loss right now for other things to check. I am a novice mechanic and would like opinions to point me in a direction of other things to check or test. I am not sure if the air is getting to the engine as the valve for the intake is closed and I do not see it open when trying to start it. I tried to start it with the air cleaner removed and also tried starting fluid sprayed directly on the butterfly valve.

Should I be able to hear the fuel pump if the key is on while lying under the fuel tank?
I checked all the fuses and they are fine.
I could not hear any noise from the gas tank. My guess is bad gas but am not sure.
Can you tell me how to test the fuel pump further?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

08xlt 06-16-2010 11:25 PM

It could be timing belt,pull the distributor cap and crank it and see if the rotar is turning.If not bingo. Is the gas station reputable,maybe got water.

mickblock 06-17-2010 05:03 PM

The fuel pump can be heard as a mid-tone droning sound for barely two seconds each time you switch the key to the run poistion, which to remind you is the last postion right before start. If you don't hear it, don't freak. Check the fuse, and switch the relay in the fuel pump position with another one that's already inside your under hood fuse box and see if that has any effect.
The more conclusive test would be to get a repair manual and a fuel pressure gauge and test your fuel pressure.

But the sound test is free. You could still pour in a bottle of HEET or any automotive fuel stabilizer followed five gallons of fresh gas to mix it and see if 3 gallons of bad gas really did you in. The gas thats in the ~ six feet of fuel line can be purged somewhat by disnnecting the outgoing side of the fuel filter and draining the gas in the fuel line into a waste container. That would have to be some really bad gas though.

You gotta open that valve up and spray starting fluid inside if you wanna diagnose the fuel system in general as the problem.