Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   86 ranger stalls when put into gear (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/131584-86-ranger-stalls-gear.html)

Notyouraveragestoner 10-08-2015 08:32 PM

86 ranger stalls when put into gear

Hey there everyone this is my first post on here and I was hoping that someone could give me some help on a problem that I'm having. I have a 1986 ford ranger with the 2.3L 4 cylinder and she was running great for about a week and a half after I got her and than all of the sudden one day she stalled out on me at a light and when I went to start her back up she starts just fine but then the minute I drop her into gear she stalls out and looses power. I replaced the iac already thinking that could be the problem but she still stalls out everytime I put her into any gear but park and neutral. This is my first ranger so I don't know much about the motor and I could really use some help trying to diagnose the problem as she is my daily driver and currently sits in my drive way now :( any help would be awesome. Thanks.

tomboy 10-10-2015 01:18 PM

Re: 86 ranger stalls when put into gear

It could be the torque convertor has gone bad, and isn't slipping like it should, kinda like pulling up to a stop light with a manual, and forgetting to push the clutch down.

casey.mikl 10-10-2015 06:47 PM

Yeah sounds like torque converter locking up. Hack the rearend up and put it on jack stands with tires off the ground. Put the truck in gear. See if it stays running. If it does, hit the brakes so the tires stop. If the tires stop and the truck dies. Your torque converter is no longer working. Need to pull the trans and get a new converter and install it. If that is what is wrong, nothing wrong with the motor. It's the transmission causing it.

Notyouraveragestoner 10-11-2015 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casey.mikl (Post 2546182)
Yeah sounds like torque converter locking up. Hack the rearend up and put it on jack stands with tires off the ground. Put the truck in gear. See if it stays running. If it does, hit the brakes so the tires stop. If the tires stop and the truck dies. Your torque converter is no longer working. Need to pull the trans and get a new converter and install it. If that is what is wrong, nothing wrong with the motor. It's the transmission causing it.

ok thanks man I was really starting to loose it on what could be wrong with it. My buddy said it could be something as simple as the fuel filter too could that be the case or does this sound like it is the torque converter only?

casey.mikl 10-11-2015 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyouraveragestoner (Post 2546490)
ok thanks man I was really starting to loose it on what could be wrong with it. My buddy said it could be something as simple as the fuel filter too could that be the case or does this sound like it is the torque converter only?

Fuel filter doesn't matter if it's in gear or not. Did you jack the truck up yet? That will tell you what it is

Notyouraveragestoner 10-11-2015 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casey.mikl (Post 2546508)
Fuel filter doesn't matter if it's in gear or not. Did you jack the truck up yet? That will tell you what it is

I didn't jack it up but I held the brake down and the Gass at 900 and dropped it into gear and it still died out so I'm guessing torque converter. But I'm also low on tranny fluid could it just be over heating and locking up when I drop it in gear?

casey.mikl 10-11-2015 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyouraveragestoner (Post 2546533)
I didn't jack it up but I held the brake down and the Gass at 900 and dropped it into gear and it still died out so I'm guessing torque converter. But I'm also low on tranny fluid could it just be over heating and locking up when I drop it in gear?

Jack it up. That will 100% tell you if it is or not

----------

If it will sit and run fine in park or neutral, and die in gear, It is 99.99% likely the torque converter is locked up.

Notyouraveragestoner 10-11-2015 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casey.mikl (Post 2546542)
Jack it up. That will 100% tell you if it is or not

----------

If it will sit and run fine in park or neutral, and die in gear, It is 99.99% likely the torque converter is locked up.

ok do you think that adding any lucas oil tranny fix will lossen it up at all or do you think that the whole tranny needs to be pulled.

casey.mikl 10-11-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyouraveragestoner (Post 2546578)
ok do you think that adding any lucas oil tranny fix will lossen it up at all or do you think that the whole tranny needs to be pulled.

tranny needs to be pulled

Kixie 10-11-2015 07:21 PM

My god he said it three times

casey.mikl 10-11-2015 07:33 PM

Before you do anything. Jack the truck up and do what I said