Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exterior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/)
-   -   Adding a tow package. Too many options. Help me please. (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/131503-adding-tow-package-options-help-please.html)

Danny74 10-05-2015 09:01 PM

Adding a tow package. Too many options. Help me please.

Hello all.
s
So the truck I use is a 95 ranger XLT Super Cab. It's a 3.0 V6 auto, 2x4. No factory tow package or harness.

I would like to add a trailer hitch and harness. So I can occasionally tow when needed.

I just purchased a class III receiver hitch and a reese drawbar that has a two inch ball.
locally someone is selling a small utility trailler that has a double axle and it's just large enough to handel medium size cars. I have a 63 Chevy II that I would like to use it for. The trailler has no lights but I had purchased one of those cheep magnetic tow light kits from harbor freight a few years back, so I can use those. I went to look at the trailler and leave a deposit for it and when we were looking at it I noticed that the axles had some cut wires sticking out of them. The seller said Yes they are electric break axles but he never used them , they were cut since he owned the trailler, he also used a magnetic light kit too.

So I want to put on a harness that can eventually utilize the trailler breaks when I get them fixed and wired, but initially I will just be using the magnetic light kit that I have.
I'm probably looking to wire the trailler and fix the breaks next summer. I alredy have an adapter for 7 pin vehicle harness to 4 pin trailler, which I can use on the light kit that I have.

I want to know what kit out there I can buy, and use for right now.
And if the break controller module is a separate piece to a kit that i can purchase so I can purchas it later, that would help save me some money for now.
What inexpensive kits can people show me links for?.

I tried to look on-line but there a so many harnesses and price ranges, and I see mostly, kits for Rangers with factory tow package. None for without them. And for the 7 wire harness I see so many parts and not really any complete kits out there. I can't seem the find what I think I need. My head hurts from looking. My local tow installation speciality shop tells me it will cost me around 400 to install what I need. That's using my hitch

Before anyone starts crying out about getting a trans cooler, I should also mention that I do have a trans cooler that I can install. I removed it from a ford SUV at the junk yard several years back. I was walking in, from a day at the pick-n-pull , and passed by what looked like an explorer or somthing bigger, can't remember. It had the whole front clip removed, but hanging from the lower radiator support was the cooler with one line connected. I cut it and took it with me , they charged five dollars for it, so I kept it incase I needed it some day. It's a 4 pass I think. Anyway I can add that if I need to and get the chance.

GLH 10-05-2015 09:34 PM

You do not have enough truck, trailer brakes or not, tranny cooler or not, to tow a car hauler with a car on it.

flyboy12 10-05-2015 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 2543407)
You do not have enough truck, trailer brakes or not, tranny cooler or not, to tow a car hauler with a car on it.

^^^^^^^ Please don't attempt this... Unless you're towing a trailer with something like a golf cart on it

djfllmn 10-06-2015 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyboy12 (Post 2543426)
^^^^^^^ Please don't attempt this... Unless you're towing a trailer with something like a golf cart on it

x2

dvrich 10-06-2015 03:54 PM

Re: Adding a tow package. Too many options. Help me please.

Good luck explaining that to the DOT Officer when they do a traffic stop on you.

Areyouforcereal? 10-06-2015 03:57 PM

I tow a chevy s10 on a tandem axle trailer with no brakes on it. I don't do it often, but it is a strain on the truck and requires a lit of focused driving. I have the 4.0. I would no recommend towing anything larger than an ATV with your truck.

Jswifto 10-06-2015 05:10 PM

Just remember the hitch is only rated for 3500lbs that includes trailer and contents. Your ranger is probably rated less than that around 2500

Danny74 10-06-2015 06:06 PM

Thank you, I got it. No towing a car with this 3.0

Thank you all for the advice, even dvrich, which only offered the confused comment, but it was still a welcomed amusement .
Guess I'm still thinking like I was with my old S10. When I started fixing up the Chevy, I use to rent a car trailler and tow it , once or twice a year, with just a 2.8 V6 in that truck. I thought this ranger was a little more truck. I guess nothing else is 'like a rock'. lol

Anyway, thanks all. However I might revive this question again soon. Like a month or so, since I have been shopping for vehicle. One of the top two contenders so far is a 97 ranger 4x4 with a 4.0 v6 5spd. Needs new shackles and a rear spring (might as well get a set). It doesn't have any hitch eather.

Actually, tell me what wireing kit I would need anyway, to add to a truck that has no factory tow package.
Others that might eventually come across this thread and find it helpful.

Thanks again everyone.

flyboy12 10-06-2015 06:20 PM

Yeah absolutely. We're here to help.

GLH 10-06-2015 06:43 PM

Your 3.0 is alot better and more reliable engine than that 2.8. The S10 isn't rated to tow that much, either.

Danny74 10-08-2015 12:06 AM

Thank you
So is everyone saying if I want to tow a car, that I need to buy something other than a ranger?

GLH 10-08-2015 12:10 AM

Yes. Full size, 3/4 ton or larger.

dvrich 10-09-2015 07:01 AM

Re: Thank you, I got it. No towing a car with this 3.0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny74 (Post 2543771)
Thank you all for the advice, even dvrich, which only offered the confused comment, but it was still a welcomed amusement .
Guess I'm still thinking like I was with my old S10. When I started fixing up the Chevy, I use to rent a car trailler and tow it , once or twice a year, with just a 2.8 V6 in that truck. I thought this ranger was a little more truck. I guess nothing else is 'like a rock'. lol

Anyway, thanks all. However I might revive this question again soon. Like a month or so, since I have been shopping for vehicle. One of the top two contenders so far is a 97 ranger 4x4 with a 4.0 v6 5spd. Needs new shackles and a rear spring (might as well get a set). It doesn't have any hitch eather.

Actually, tell me what wireing kit I would need anyway, to add to a truck that has no factory tow package.
Others that might eventually come across this thread and find it helpful.

Thanks again everyone.

Not a confused comment, DOT will pull a driver over in a New York minute for using a compact truck to trailer another vehicle. My brother in law is a retired DOT officer and I showed him this thread and he just rolled his eyes.

00.Ranger.XLT 10-09-2015 10:25 AM

I've towed my car on a tandem axle trailer quite a few times with my 3.0 5 speed ranger,

Logan03CO 10-09-2015 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00.Ranger.XLT (Post 2545341)
I've towed my car on a tandem axle trailer quite a few times with my 3.0 5 speed ranger,

I've ran with scissors before as well - but doesn't mean others should or that I would recommend it.