Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/)
-   -   02' edge weird problems please help!!! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/13060-02-edge-weird-please-help.html)

Mike1101 06-06-2010 07:13 PM

02' edge weird problems please help!!!

So starting last week, I got in my truck and noticed a little bit of a rocking feeling as I was sitting in the parking lot. It felt like someone was rocking the truck back and fourth. I ignored it at first and started driving. Everytime I stopped at a light, it would start rocking again and it's gotten a lot worse. It feels as if the truck is trying to drive while I have the brake pressed. The check engine light has been on for awhile so I changed the oil, and replaced the air and fuel filters. When I got the codes pulled it said something about sysetem too lean or something. I put fuel injector cleaner and "HEET" moisture remover in the tank. It stopped for a day and continued the next day. WHAT COULD THIS BE!!?! I dont know much about cars so maybe a lamens term explanation could help haha. Thank you!

bordum128 06-06-2010 07:21 PM

Re: 02' edge weird problems please help!!!

Well Im not genius either but my light came on the other day as well and I got the same code "P0174 system too lean". I have been told by dozens of people that that is indictive of a vacume leak or maybe a dirty mass air flow sensor. The crappy thing is that it can be tons and tons of things related to an air leak. I was even told that it could be a bad o2 sensor. Did it say something like "bank 1" or "Bank 2'?.... as for the car rocking??? I have no clue man, sorry.

BoomZilla 06-16-2010 04:34 AM

Was the engine revving up at all? Side to side rocking or back to front?

FireRanger 06-16-2010 05:05 AM

Its a vacuum line leak, probably behind the top of the engine.

bagdranger 06-17-2010 02:01 PM

+1 fireranger. Sounds like a definite vacuum related issue. I dont see how heet would fix it for a day though. When the truck is running do you hear a hissing sound when the hood is up?

Chris 06-19-2010 01:24 AM

Fuel Pump will go out in a few months. Replace it. If its not a vacuum leak. If it is a vacuum leak then that'd be your problem.

My truck was acting foul to awhile back ago, and all these guys always said vacuum leak, and it turned out it was the fuel pump.

bagdranger 06-20-2010 06:57 AM

Chris it sounds like it could be either a vacuum leak or a fuel pump issue. You could throw a fuel pump on it but theres alot of money down the drain if that doesnt fix it. ya know.

Mike1101 06-20-2010 06:58 PM

Well I went to advanced auto parts last week, and they told me new codes showed cylinder 4 misfire. I replaced 3 of the spark plugs including number 4 and all the wires. I put Bosch +4 platinum spark plugs in there. It got dark so we had to save the rest for later but I got in the truck and it was still rocking really bad. The guy said it might be a problem with the coil pack?

Chris 06-20-2010 10:10 PM

I am telling you mine was reporting Cylinder mis fire to. I had just put new plugs in mine, before it all started. Slight hesitation weird idle, and rocky feeling, mine was more noticeable cus it has no muffler, and to lean is generally not enough fuel. The guy above is right, check for vacuum leaks, and do the simple thing first, CHANGE your fuel filter!

FireRanger 06-21-2010 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike1101 (Post 142343)
Well I went to advanced auto parts last week, and they told me new codes showed cylinder 4 misfire. I replaced 3 of the spark plugs including number 4 and all the wires. I put Bosch +4 platinum spark plugs in there. It got dark so we had to save the rest for later but I got in the truck and it was still rocking really bad. The guy said it might be a problem with the coil pack?

You put the wrong spark plugs in. Those Bosch plugs will probably make it worse. You need to be using Motorcraft or Autolite plugs in that engine.

smurphy 06-21-2010 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 142582)
You put the wrong spark plugs in. Those Bosch plugs will probably make it worse. You need to be using Motorcraft or Autolite plugs in that engine.

I use Bosch +2 in my engine and it runs fine, why would the Bosch plugs make it worse?

smurphy 06-21-2010 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike1101 (Post 142343)
The guy said it might be a problem with the coil pack?

I had a cylinder 3 misfire a while back and replaced the plugs and wires, still misfiring so i replaced the coil pack and it went away. The coil pack was about 90 dollars at auto zone

Mike1101 06-21-2010 07:47 PM

Lol no they are not the wrong spark plugs haha.....But thanks for the advice. And to whoever was saying change the fuel filter. I already did that =(

FireRanger 06-21-2010 08:12 PM

Trust me, those plugs will fail within a year if they even work at all. Just because some idiot at a parts counter's computer says they'll fit doesn't mean they're the right ones. Believe me, they are NOT.

Vac leak remains the most likely solution.

bagdranger 06-25-2010 03:15 PM

++++++++1 fireranger. Nothing but motorcrap or autolites. Anythin will fail not long after its installed. And smurphy its just somethin about these ford motors that doesnt like any plug other than whats mentioned. My 89 is VERY temperamental to plugs. It had splitfire when i got the truck and now its got e3s (only got e3s bc i wanted to see what the truck would do. Not expecting anythin yet)