Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exterior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/)
-   -   anybody painted their bumpers? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/12884-painted-bumpers.html)

Zach 06-02-2010 01:32 PM

anybody painted their bumpers?

i have taken off my bumpers, completely disassembled them, and sent them to a sand blaster to get the chrome removed. I hate chrome and plan on painting my bumpers black. My truck is silver by the way. Anyway ill be painting the bumpers and my billet grill this glossy black but dont know what to do with the plastic on the rear bumper or the valence up front. They're grey and im not sure if they should be painted. Anybody know what looks best from experience?

thanks for checkin this out. Ill have pics posted as soon i find the time to paint...

smakes 06-02-2010 01:35 PM

Re: anybody painted their bumpers?

black, use some krylon fusion

Zach 06-02-2010 01:47 PM

i found this can of spray paint made by duplicolor thats black with flexing agent in it so it wont crack or chip away from the plastic. Maybe this is just like the krylon fusion?

smakes 06-02-2010 01:49 PM

idk but fusion is made specifically for plastic and ive painted many of my plastic pieces with it and after it cures the stuff doesnt even come off if you grind it against a curb

Zach 06-02-2010 01:55 PM

nice. i like the sound of that. You think it will hold up on the step part of my plastic bumper in the back? walking on it day in and day out? Im a little skeptical of painting something ill be stepping on everytime i use my truck bed

RangerLuc 06-02-2010 01:57 PM

u should use some 3m rubberized undercoating. i want to do this as well and i think it would look badass

smakes 06-02-2010 01:57 PM

yea i painted mine before i put my rollpan on and i let it cure a day before i started stepping on it and it help up fine

Zach 06-02-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerLuc (Post 133458)
u should use some 3m rubberized undercoating. i want to do this as well and i think it would look badass

who makes this? ive never really looked into undercoatings before. Think it will hold up on a plastic piece on my bumper that i step on?

the krylon sounds like it might work but that stuff sounds thick and more durable

STL 06-02-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerLuc (Post 133458)
u should use some 3m rubberized undercoating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach (Post 133461)
who makes this? ive never really looked into undercoatings before.

:confused:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...gl95XCS2Q1PZbl

RangerLuc 06-02-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach (Post 133461)
who makes this? ive never really looked into undercoatings before. Think it will hold up on a plastic piece on my bumper that i step on?

the krylon sounds like it might work but that stuff sounds thick and more durable

lol....thanks for clearin that up for him myke :eek:

DieselBrad 06-02-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach (Post 133445)
i have taken off my bumpers, completely disassembled them, and sent them to a sand blaster to get the chrome removed. I hate chrome and plan on painting my bumpers black. My truck is silver by the way. Anyway ill be painting the bumpers and my billet grill this glossy black but dont know what to do with the plastic on the rear bumper or the valence up front. They're grey and im not sure if they should be painted. Anybody know what looks best from experience?

thanks for checkin this out. Ill have pics posted as soon i find the time to paint...

I would use IMRON by dupont to paint the steel on the front bumper and grill. As for painting the lower valence and rear bumper pad, i would skip that. Especially the textured valence. If it flexes(which it will when hit by road debris..i.e. rocks,birds,recaps....) the paint will flake off. See it TOO MANY times. If you want a painted valence get the smooth paintable one.

ropenrein 06-02-2010 08:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I just painted my plastic- valance, bumper strip, rear bumper, fender extensions- this week. I used the Krylon Fusion in Satin Black. Seems to be pretty resilient (so far) and it was pretty easy.

Zach 06-02-2010 08:39 PM

thanks for all the suggestions. Ill have to look into these paints and pick one.

Those fenders look nice, do you have better pics of the front valence and the rear fender?

ropenrein 06-04-2010 09:51 AM

I'll get some better pics and try to get them up for you this weekend. I also have additional pics in my photo album.

Tito 06-13-2012 06:44 AM

hey man i painted my bumpers and plastic cover black too! =D except my bumpers were grey not chrome...anyways i just painted over the plastic both front and back and its been over a year and not one sign of cracking i also step on the back bumper cover a lot and seems to hold up just fine. heres a pic of my front bumper.

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...e/IMG_0049.jpg

oh btw i used rustoleum high heat engine paint and holds up extremely well!