Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   4x4 problems (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/12859-4x4.html)

Caddy 06-01-2010 07:10 PM

4x4 problems

I can't get my 4x4 to engage I have auto and I need help, do you have to drive and click it over at the same time or what. It just clicks whae I do. Message me up.

TerrenceStuart 06-01-2010 10:17 PM

Re: 4x4 problems

no, you can engage it while sitting still or while moving. How do you know it's not working? is the "4wd Hi" icon lit up on the instrument cluster?

08xlt 06-02-2010 01:02 AM

Imn my Explorer and ranger is supposed to shift on the fly into 4 hi,book says stop, put shifter in neutral, then shift to what you want.You should hear a click or more like a clunk when it engages, hope this helps.

Caddy 06-02-2010 03:47 AM

I put it in some mud a Cople of times and the front don't spin. Lights are on and stuff hi and low lights come on.

SaskRanger 06-02-2010 06:37 AM

x2 on the question!
I think I have to exact same problem. My instrument lights come on and I hear it engage, but my front wheels don't spin. I have changed the hubs, and wasn't the problem. Done numerous other little things to try and fix it to no avail. Only thing I can think of is the manual locking hub mod, but I'd like to know if there's a fix that doesn't involve me taking apart shit and messing around with it.

winks 06-02-2010 07:18 AM

Isn't there a solenoid on the transfer case that people sometimes have issues with? I think that I've read about people having issues with that and not being able to get 4x4 to work.

Camoprincess 06-04-2010 12:21 PM

i tryed replacing that also.The vacuum solenoid. im having the same problems as you guys. ill shift it over and it will thump like it engaged but will not for the life of it spin the front tires. and im getting sick of throwing money into it that doesnt do a whole lot to help. anyone???

Caddy 06-04-2010 05:26 PM

Well it may be that ford(and it is true) ain't very serous about 4x4 in the ranger model. Some times it is cought in a bind and you might have to drive a ways or have to get lockers, that might solve our problem , try puttin it in 4x4 and backin up it releaves tention on the it back up like 25 yards or so I got down on my knees and turned the 4x4 drive shaft and I was never so happy to get my arm covered in mud fron the front wheels as I put my elbow out. It works like 70% of the time.

Camoprincess 06-07-2010 06:21 PM

I tore mine apart and it seems like im not getting enough vacuum to pull the hubs in to engage. if i bypass the selanoid it stays in 4 wheel. but i already only get 15 mpg. i cant even imagine what i would get for gas mileage. And i do not want to get out everytime i need 4 wheel drive. if i cant fix this im trading in my ranger for something that isnt junk. im really just done putting money into it and getting no where. and i just get done fixing one thing and another thing goes bad. i know thats gonna happen from time to time but its happend since i bought it. ive prolly put 2 grand worth of parts in it and its all things just to make it run! not even things to make it look good. :(

David Thomas 06-17-2010 05:20 PM

Hello Folks,
Have a 99 Ranger 4WD. Just moved to NC and took it out on the beautiful beaches here. Was going well until I stopped and tried to turn around. Got stuck!! My back tire was down in the sand and noticed that my front wheels were not moving. I was in 4WD low. Took it to mechanic and he said they do not make manual locking hubs for 99 Ford Ranger. Would love to take it back out on the beach for some fishing and swimming but need to make sure about the front wheels. Anyone out there have an insight into how to go with this problem?
Thanks much.
Dave

mickblock 06-17-2010 05:32 PM

4Low is more particular. So sometimes it will engage/disengage in neutral and not drive even when sitting still. Give that a shot?
Does 4Hi work correctly?

john_boi 06-26-2010 07:38 PM

I had the exact same problem on my car and here's what I did. Also I need to mention that it's not entirely fixed because I haven't got the part in yet but I have isolated it to a specific item.

When you put it into either 4H or 4L you should her it engage if you shift from park to drive or neutral to drive. If you look on the bottom side of the chassis on drivers side you can see the drive axle going to the front differential. Give it a few turns by hand and see if it is engaged. If it engages then good. You can now isolate it to either the front hubs or vacuum problem.
Check the vacuum lines coming off the hubs. These will run off both sides and go into some fittings. Make sure they're not cracked. Many of the older trucks will have dry and rotted rubber. I changed mine out and could still not get the 4x4 to engage the front tires. I kept chasing the vacuum lines and it lead to the PVH Solenoid which is he pulse vacuum hub solenoid located underneath the passenger fender. You'll see 2 vacuum lines coming off it as well as an electrical connector. If you take the 2 lines opposite of the solenoid off you'll have 2 open ends. Connect these ends together and your hubs should engage. If they engage then you've found your problem. It's 69.00 from a Ford dealer and part number is F87Z9H465BA. I hope this helps. Good luck

Also if you've been having air blow from the defrost vent only this could also be the problem.

mazdab2300 06-26-2010 07:42 PM

I have a 2wd mazda (basically a ranger) but my f150 has a sensor on the front and rear ends in the gears check that it may be dirty

David Thomas 06-27-2010 04:26 PM

Thanks Jon Boi and Mazadab2300,
That gives me something to go on. I will try to check the solenoid out.
Appreciate it,
David

john_boi 06-27-2010 05:00 PM

No prob, I'll update my situation as soon as I get the solenoid installed and tested.