Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/)
-   -   Real fast ticking (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/1247-real-fast-ticking.html)

SilverRanger 06-05-2009 12:51 PM

Real fast ticking

I have a 2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 OFF ROAD
It has the 4.0 V6 with 70,000 km

Here's my question:

I'm hearing a quite noticable ticking sound. Its coming from under the hood, but I can only hear it when I accelerate.

It's a real fast ticking, almost comparable to a fuel injector.

Any clues or ideas???

Thanks

beaujt 06-16-2009 05:05 AM

maybe lifters, but that seems to be too low on miles(or km) to be doin that. how loud of a ticking, and how soon after start-up?

beaujt 06-16-2009 05:06 AM

if its lifters don't worry about it much, the 4.0L are known to have "noisy" lifters, at least the old OHV 4.0L dunno about the SOHC 4.0L

Tom 06-16-2009 09:14 AM

It's possibly the timing chain rattle that's plagued earlier SOHC engines

orgnlmrwiggles 07-30-2009 12:22 PM

i think i have the same problem you are describing. im about 80% sure i have narrowed it down to the exhaust, but i am still trying to figure it out. this weekend i will be pulling off my exhaust manifold/downpipe/y-pipe to inspect for cracks. first off, im pulling the y-pipe for ive already found one hole on my y-pipe that connects to my catalytic, so im going to try and have someone weld the hole shut, and see if that stops the ticking, if it doesnt, then off comes the exhaust manifold because ill be pretty sure there must be a hairline crack by where it connects to the y-pipe. ill try to remember to keep you posted on this. if i get it fixed i probably might forget to return on here, so fyi.

Jay FX4 07-30-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orgnlmrwiggles (Post 8047)
if i get it fixed i probably might forget to return on here, so fyi.

FWIW, it would be nice if you contributed regularly, and not just when you have a problem.

orgnlmrwiggles 08-04-2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay FX4 (Post 8054)
FWIW, it would be nice if you contributed regularly, and not just when you have a problem.

of course, but its kind of difficult with my busy life.... full time college student, getting ready for the semester to begin, full time employee, helping a friend remodel a house, and fixing up my truck... i dont live with mommy and daddy, so i dont remember everything to do, my appologies for being a douche bag.

Jay FX4 08-04-2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orgnlmrwiggles (Post 8460)
of course, but its kind of difficult with my busy life.... full time college student, getting ready for the semester to begin, full time employee, helping a friend remodel a house, and fixing up my truck... i dont live with mommy and daddy, so i dont remember everything to do, my appologies for being a douche bag.

You weren't. it's just that a lot of people get what they need then bail. I understand you got stuff going on....

orgnlmrwiggles 08-22-2009 08:45 AM

so I changed the exhaust manifold gasket and while I did that I noticed a stripped bolt holding my exhaust manifold on so I bought a new bolt and re tapped the heads threads.problem solved . Now I thought this caused my engine to get hot when my ac is on but it still gets really hot when I try and Use ac

02'4.04x4 08-22-2009 02:13 PM

You really need to isolate where in fact the sound is coming from.
Does it change with rpm? There are a couple of things it could be, by your saying it sounds like a FI it is pissible that it is a silenoid. I cannot recall what the little odd thing is called but there is a device that sounds like a paint can rattle. It has something to do with the F.I. system. It looks like a all black vacuum pot and it will have 1/4" fuel hose going to and from it.
If it is intermittent, i.e. on start up not noticeable but then a few minutes later kicks in then more than likely this is the issue. Again this assessment is drawn from your discription of the sound. Thus I am assuming that you would know the sound of a valve slapping. Which Marvelous Mystery oil can free a stuck valve. HTH

orgnlmrwiggles 08-31-2009 10:15 PM

um, incase no one got my post...

i fixed my ticking by feeling around by the exhaust manifold for air being blown out, and found out i had a blown exhaust manifold gasket, picked one up for $8, and no more ticking.

findiit 11-28-2010 01:54 AM

Re: Real fast ticking

I am having the same issue and will be replacing my manifold gasket in a few weeks. I do have a question, however. Would this leak be in any way linked to a fluctuating idle? GOES VERY LOW, about 400-500, but never stalls and does this once of every 12 stops maybe. Progressing slowly.