Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/)
-   -   No start. (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/123794-start.html)

pcityranger 01-29-2015 05:49 PM

No start.

So I'm in a parking lot and the truck won't start. No crank no click no nothing. I think battery is good. Radio and lights work. Starter is new, 2 months old maybe. What's the deal?

djfllmn 01-29-2015 05:54 PM

Re: No start.

what happens when you turn the key?

all lights go dim?

Blackthunder 01-29-2015 06:05 PM

Check your battery connections, it's happened to me before where it's just been a poor battery connection

pcityranger 01-29-2015 06:19 PM

Battery voltage is good. 12.6. Test light lit up when I used the ground then touched positive both on the starter. Everything works good, lights radio. Is there a any fuse or relay that runs to the starter?

Lol probably no fuse haha because it's a starter. But what about a relay?

djfllmn 01-29-2015 06:23 PM

relay could do it...

have you tried taking your lug wrench and giving the starter a few taps

pcityranger 01-29-2015 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djfllmn (Post 2376810)
relay could do it... have you tried taking your lug wrench and giving the starter a few taps

Going to do it now. Are you positive there's a relay for it?

Tapping did nothing.

pcityranger 01-29-2015 06:56 PM

I think the starter is bad. Idk it's new. I jumped the solenoid to start the motor and it tried to start but it kept running on and on and I had to run and disconnect the battery. I think the solenoid on the starter is bad and since they're both connected look like I will be replacing the starter and solenoid. -__-

djfllmn 01-29-2015 06:59 PM

pop start it and it will get you home

pcityranger 01-29-2015 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djfllmn (Post 2376851)
pop start it and it will get you home

That's what I did. Would you assume the solenoid is bad since it kept running on and on?

bigfisher 01-29-2015 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcityranger (Post 2376848)
I think the starter is bad. Idk it's new. I jumped the solenoid to start the motor and it tried to start but it kept running on and on and I had to run and disconnect the battery. I think the solenoid on the starter is bad and since they're both connected look like I will be replacing the starter and solenoid. -__-

The solenoid is on the starter so it gets replaced anyways

Fordzilla80 01-29-2015 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcityranger (Post 2376859)
That's what I did. Would you assume the solenoid is bad since it kept running on and on?

That is a symptom of a solenoid that welded itself shut. Used to happen all the time on older Fords when people used to replace the fender mounted ones with crap from Advance and Autozone.

Still need to have the starter tested.

pcityranger 01-29-2015 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 (Post 2376881)
That is a symptom of a solenoid that welded itself shut. Used to happen all the time on older Fords when people used to replace the fender mounted ones with crap from Advance and Autozone. Still need to have the starter tested.

There connected so both will be getting replaced

pcityranger 01-30-2015 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 (Post 2376881)
That is a symptom of a solenoid that welded itself shut. Used to happen all the time on older Fords when people used to replace the fender mounted ones with crap from Advance and Autozone. Still need to have the starter tested.

If it welded itself shut, would cause it to not even try and crank?

Fordzilla80 01-30-2015 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcityranger (Post 2377521)
If it welded itself shut, would cause it to not even try and crank?

If internal parts in the solenoid are sticking, it's possible.

pcityranger 02-05-2015 04:28 PM

New starter and solenoid and no start? Any idea what it might be. Back to square one. Any way to test the neutral safety switch and the ignition switch?

Lol ordered a new ignition switch.