Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exterior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/)
-   -   Off Road Lights (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/121740-road-lights.html)

bencro 12-04-2014 03:52 PM

Off Road Lights

Hey guys,
I have an 04' edge
Just wondering if any of you have put some off road lights on your truck.
If so, is there anything you would suggest about instillation? What size fuse should I use?

I want to install them on a custom made back rack, most likely 4 of them on the back rack, and probably 2 more on a push bar.

Thanks

casey.mikl 12-04-2014 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bencro (Post 2324367)
Hey guys, I have an 04' edge Just wondering if any of you have put some off road lights on your truck. If so, is there anything you would suggest about instillation? What size fuse should I use? I want to install them on a custom made back rack, most likely 4 of them on the back rack, and probably 2 more on a push bar. Thanks

Go led or hid. I would do 4 spot up top and 2 flood on the bumper like your wanting. Halogen is outdated.

Logan03CO 12-04-2014 04:40 PM

Re: Off Road Lights

Quote:

Originally Posted by bencro (Post 2324367)
Just wondering if any of you have put some off road lights on your truck.

Nope.

No one ever.

rachit 12-05-2014 05:42 PM

Use a relay and fuses please. I almost had a car burn up while I was driving because I thought it would be ok to run fog lights directly to a switch. Use a relay! And don't be that person who runs the wire through the door jamb.

blakeK2 12-05-2014 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachit (Post 2325518)
Use a relay and fuses please. I almost had a car burn up while I was driving because I thought it would be ok to run fog lights directly to a switch. Use a relay! And don't be that person who runs the wire through the door jamb.

Always use a relay.
A couple of these 4in off road light light up the area in front really well. I have a pair mounted.

TB-9862 12-07-2014 10:20 PM

What kind of lights/light spread do you want? Spotlights, flood lights, driving lights, etc? Halogen or LED?

I personally have 4 100 watt KC Daylighter spotlights (pencil beam) on my roof.

On the bumper are 2 100 watt Lightforce 170's. I am going to get diffusion lenses so they will function as driving/wide lights.

Then I have 4 27 watt LED flood lights for illuminating the area around the truck. 2 face outwards, left and right, and 2 face rearwards.

Then I also mounted a pair of 55 watt fog lights under my rear bumper to act as auxiliary backup lights.

All of my lights are wired up through relays. The fuse size is determined by the current draw of the specific light you install:

Total power / 12V = fuse size

Example:

2 100 watt KC's is 200 watts total, so

200 watts / 12 volts = 16.6 amps. Round up to next size, so a 20 amp fuse for my lights.

You can also get fuse panels too ruin everything from. It'd a little more work and wiring, but it cleans up all the in-line fuse holders