Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   Just got a ranger! HAve many questions and issue (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/12124-ranger-questions-issue.html)

ZuluAlpha 05-12-2010 07:13 PM

Just got a ranger! HAve many questions and issue

Hi everyone,

I just got my first truck ever after the loss of my mustang.. she is a 2004 3.0l xlt. I love this thing man! and the price was just right. Ever since i had a work truck as a ranger i've been hooked on them.

That being said - I have some questions if you fine people here wouldn't mind.

1) I have to turn the key on and off a couple of times to build fuel pressure for the car to start. If i dont turn it on to the accessory position and off a couple of times, the truck takes like 10 seconds of crankingn to start. Whats wrong here? i'm replacing the fuel filter in a few days after the injector cleaner goes through.. possible fuel pump issue? is this a common problem?

2) Does my 04 xlt regular cab have torsion bars so i can raise the front of the car a little bit by playing with the torsion bolts?

3) how many miles a tank do you guys usually get, and how big is the gas tank?

4) what are some good mods to do? im doing tune up, clean the throttle body and add K/N filter next week.

5) How do i change the fuel filter? do i need those special line disconnects? or do i just pull the lines out?

6) And for the love of Saints - How the hell am i gonna install a subwoofer / amp in this thing? is it even possible? it just hit me - theres no room to do this! does anyone have any ideas?
Thank you all so much for any help!

05RangerEdge 05-12-2010 07:25 PM

Re: Just got a ranger! HAve many questions and issue

#1) Give it some time and someone will come by and help you with this i am sure.
#2) I don't think so but look under it and if it looks like this http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exter...sion-bars.html
#3) http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/12023-your-gas-mileage.html
#4) Tons just start looking around the forum

Welcome!

ZuluAlpha 05-12-2010 08:03 PM

alright - sounds cool.
Please; feel free to chime in folks. I greatly appreciate all the information coming forth.

Has anyone seafoamed there Rangers? i'm afraid to because im afraid i cant get it started back up with the fuel pump and all

05RangerEdge 05-12-2010 08:05 PM

I am about to do it in 2000 miles! I cant wait it sounds fun :)

ZuluAlpha 05-12-2010 08:15 PM

meh i think i'll pass till situation is resolved. Hopefully the lucas fuel cleaner does something.

right now, i'm just

*Cleaning interior, exterior, engine bay.
*Spark Plugs
*fuel filter
* K&N filter
*PCV valve

and i'm done... all the fluids are new.

these trucks don't have timing belts right? IIRC the 3.0l v6 runs on a chain?

DieHard4rd 05-12-2010 08:30 PM

Fuel filter would be my guess if it has 40,000+ miles on it.

ZuluAlpha 05-12-2010 08:35 PM

I don't know how many miles are on that fuel filter, but it does look like crap. i'm replacing it tomorrow or maybe the day after so i will see what happens then. seems too easy of a fix

DieHard4rd 05-12-2010 08:38 PM

I meant 40,000+ mile on the truck. Many people who trade every 3 years don't tend to be fuel filter changers:)

05RangerEdge 05-12-2010 08:43 PM

Fuel filter might not cure it completely but it will make a hell of a difference in the truck regardless.

ZuluAlpha 05-13-2010 03:21 AM

Does anyone know any good places to install sub/amp setup on these trucks? theres no room anywhere. i'm considering installing amp under seat but i don't know where to but the sub

ZuluAlpha 05-13-2010 03:47 AM

one more question:
My 04 xlt didn't come with a keyless entry remote. I'm about to buy one now, but the directions say the remote won't work unless the truck has the keyless entry system itself already installed. Do these trucks have keyless entry? Just want to make sure before i invest in the remote

robsranger 05-17-2010 11:43 AM

call ford and run your vin it will be able to tell you if keyless was installed on your ranger. Sub mounting is easy but you will lose so leg room get a sub box I prefer 10s or just a single 10 and a truck box and mount behind seat.

ZuluAlpha 05-19-2010 07:23 AM

i got the sub in behind passenger seat, with no loss of leg room to me. one 12 with 1000 wat amp. Dear God sounds aMAZING. I love it.

MY truck apparently does have keyless entry isntalled, dealer told me if theres a theft light with the key on the on position that i do have it.
I found a remote- oem- brand new on ebay for 20 bucks .

Just waxed the truck and got the windows tinted and slapped a K&N in it.

Lovin it so far