Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   Oil change picking oil (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/121142-oil-change-picking-oil.html)

littlebadger00 11-19-2014 10:50 AM

Oil change picking oil

Hey guys i drive a 2000 V6 3.0
I'm due for an oil change but i wanna switch the oil i use. Ive been using castrol and i dont like it. I had a friend reccomend Royal Purple. Im gonna look into it, but would you all reccomend? Also if i change my oil to royal purple should i change my differential to royal purple as well? I also need to change my differential fluid

cowboybilly9mile 11-19-2014 10:57 AM

Re: Oil change picking oil

I would recommend using the search function as this is a topic that's been thoroughly beat to death many times over.

stateranger 11-19-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlebadger00 (Post 2311585)
Hey guys i drive a 2000 V6 3.0
I'm due for an oil change but i wanna switch the oil i use. Ive been using castrol and i dont like it. I had a friend reccomend Royal Purple. Im gonna look into it, but would you all reccomend? Also if i change my oil to royal purple should i change my differential to royal purple as well? I also need to change my differential fluid

Using royal purple is just like throwing money into an oil drain pan, you aren't gaining anything that you wouldn't gain use a cheaper synthetic oil like shell rotella or mobile 1.

rangerlocal 11-19-2014 01:41 PM

If for some reason you're dissatisfied with whatever oil you're running and it's the correct viscosity, I'm pretty sure you're going to be very disappointed with whatever you throw in there. For this truck, oil is oil.

pearlkid9988 11-19-2014 02:24 PM

For this truck just find something you like its not high performance and unless you just beat on it its not going to see really high temps or heavy wear which is what oils like royal purple are designed for (IE race applications or the like). I use valvoline max life because i have a few small gasket leaks and it keeps it from dripping in my driveway and the price is fair for what you get. But for the most part oil is oil synthetic is not necessary in these trucks unless you like being able to go 5k miles between changes other than that really nothing to be gained over cheap conventional.

GLH 11-19-2014 02:45 PM

Ford says Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w20.

johnday 11-19-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 2311752)
Ford says Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w20.

X2, only oil my truck has ever seen.;)

LilRanger93 11-19-2014 08:37 PM

*waits for Boris' input*

RedEdge03 11-20-2014 06:12 AM

I just bought an '03 Edge with 88k miles on it and changed the oil and went with Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w20 and a Motorcraft FL-400S filter, I have been running Mobil 1 full synthetic in my other vehicles and been sending in oil samples pretty regularly as I do with my '99 F350's 7.3 and have been pleased when the company says everything is good with 12k miles on the oil.

This said I certainly see nothing wrong with the Ford/Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend.

gcextreme 11-20-2014 11:23 AM

I switched from Valvoline to Mobil 1 full synthetic in my ranger and my wifes car. Couldnt be happier. Always changed them close to 3K miles...maybe 200-300 past and the oil looks as if it could maybe last another 2k miles but im not going to chance it. Im a firm believer in 3k mile oil changes.

Im still running conventional valvoline in the white ranger since i just rebuilt the engine. Just did the first oil change after about 75 miles on the engine.
Will do the next change after 500-600 miles. And work my way up to 3000 miles. After a few 3k mile oil changes i will switch it to the Mobil 1 full synthetic oil.

96_4x4_XLT 11-20-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlebadger00 (Post 2311585)
Hey guys i drive a 2000 V6 3.0 I'm due for an oil change but i wanna switch the oil i use. Ive been using castrol and i dont like it. I had a friend reccomend Royal Purple. Im gonna look into it, but would you all reccomend? Also if i change my oil to royal purple should i change my differential to royal purple as well? I also need to change my differential fluid

Royal purple really only helps if you used from the beginning and never stopped using it