Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Lifted Suspension (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/lifted-suspension/)
-   -   Need some help finding a lift kit (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/lifted-suspension/120983-help-finding-lift-kit.html)

writtenaudio 11-15-2014 04:34 PM

Need some help finding a lift kit

Hey guys, well ill just give you the story behind this. I have a 1991 that is my first truck, I have had her for a while and shes served me well. A few months back I went all ranger joe and joined the army, im currently on Ft. Lee and gonna be home next month! Anyway my truck needs some new tires so I found a set of general grabber at2s and im gonna have them put on before i get home so i will actually be able to drive. Ive also decided that I want to put a small lift on the truck, and since it is a 2WD im having trouble finding a lift kit for it. I would like a 2-3 inch suspension kit for it. When I say kit I mean I want to buy it and thats all I need other than maybe an alignment to have a lifted truck. Anything helps, ill keep looking as well. Thank you!

Ranger0015 11-15-2014 07:23 PM

Re: Need some help finding a lift kit

I'm in the same boat man, except mine is lowered 4.5 inches all the way around and I'm looking to lift it now though, there's one kit that's catchin my eye and it's made by rough country, it's a 4 inch lift, looks like it comes with everything you need including shocks but more feedback would be awesome too.

Korey Moore 11-15-2014 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by writtenaudio (Post 2307670)
Hey guys, well ill just give you the story behind this. I have a 1991 that is my first truck, I have had her for a while and shes served me well. A few months back I went all ranger joe and joined the army, im currently on Ft. Lee and gonna be home next month! Anyway my truck needs some new tires so I found a set of general grabber at2s and im gonna have them put on before i get home so i will actually be able to drive. I've also decided that I want to put a small lift on the truck, and since it is a 2WD im having trouble finding a lift kit for it. I would like a 2-3 inch suspension kit for it. When I say kit I mean I want to buy it and that's all I need other than maybe an alignment to have a lifted truck. Anything helps, ill keep looking as well. Thank you!

Honestly, for a two wheel drive, new higher performance shocks might not be needed. To fit bigger tires and make it look nicer i'd simply add a body lift. Cheap and fairly easy. Amazon has them plus many other places.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger0015 (Post 2307822)
I'm in the same boat man, except mine is lowered 4.5 inches all the way around and I'm looking to lift it now though, there's one kit that's catching my eye and it's made by rough country, it's a 4 inch lift, looks like it comes with everything you need including shocks but more feedback would be awesome too.

I've got a 4" Superlift from superlift.com, I'd recommend the front axle for sure too. Check out my pics to get an idea.

writtenaudio 11-17-2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korey Moore (Post 2307902)

Honestly, for a two wheel drive, new higher performance shocks might not be needed. To fit bigger tires and make it look nicer i'd simply add a body lift. Cheap and fairly easy. Amazon has them plus many other places.

I've got a 4" Superlift from superlift.com, I'd recommend the front axle for sure too. Check out my pics to get an idea.

Well I will have to look into a body lift. Won't I have to extend brake line and such to add a body lift as well?

96_4x4_XLT 11-17-2014 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by writtenaudio (Post 2307670)
Hey guys, well ill just give you the story behind this. I have a 1991 that is my first truck, I have had her for a while and shes served me well. A few months back I went all ranger joe and joined the army, im currently on Ft. Lee and gonna be home next month! Anyway my truck needs some new tires so I found a set of general grabber at2s and im gonna have them put on before i get home so i will actually be able to drive. Ive also decided that I want to put a small lift on the truck, and since it is a 2WD im having trouble finding a lift kit for it. I would like a 2-3 inch suspension kit for it. When I say kit I mean I want to buy it and thats all I need other than maybe an alignment to have a lifted truck. Anything helps, ill keep looking as well. Thank you!

Rough country or a body lift is your best bet

tredeh 11-17-2014 10:17 AM

Couldn't you get 3 inch lift coil springs for the front and Chevy lowering shackles for a lift in the rear? Seems cheaper to me.

96_4x4_XLT 11-17-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredeh (Post 2309582)
Couldn't you get 3 inch lift coil springs for the front and Chevy lowering shackles for a lift in the rear? Seems cheaper to me.

can't go more then 2" of lift before needing to drop brackets up front

Korey Moore 11-17-2014 10:39 AM

Nope, no other extension for breaks required

CFH665 11-17-2014 11:22 AM

You should get the rough country kit i you want some actual performance plus it looks better without the body gap a BL gives, and if you ever decided you want to go a lil bigger you can get larger springs and sinple parts for the aligning an your good to go

writtenaudio 11-17-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFH665 (Post 2309664)
You should get the rough country kit i you want some actual performance plus it looks better without the body gap a BL gives, and if you ever decided you want to go a lil bigger you can get larger springs and sinple parts for the aligning an your good to go

I didn't want 4 inches I thought that might be a bit much without getting bigger tires. I'm still considering and for 450 or so it isn't too bad

96_4x4_XLT 11-17-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by writtenaudio (Post 2309677)
I didn't want 4 inches I thought that might be a bit much without getting bigger tires. I'm still considering and for 450 or so it isn't too bad

2ed gens sit kinda low so a 4" would be perfect IMO

writtenaudio 11-17-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96_4x4_XLT (Post 2309704)
2ed gens sit kinda low so a 4" would be perfect IMO

Thats true, I wonder how long it would realistically take to install. It is my only vehicle, I mean I am in the army to be a mechanic. Other than my civilian training, they really dont give us much here haha.

96_4x4_XLT 11-17-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by writtenaudio (Post 2309721)
Thats true, I wonder how long it would realistically take to install. It is my only vehicle, I mean I am in the army to be a mechanic. Other than my civilian training, they really dont give us much here haha.

If it were be with the tools I know I have I would leave myself 2 days just in case