Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exterior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/)
-   -   Camping/Trail Build: Widebeam Mounting, Lifting, Big Tires (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/118978-camping-trail-build-widebeam-mounting-lifting-tires.html)

tcbaklash 09-28-2014 04:10 PM

Camping/Trail Build: Foglight Mounting, Lifting, Big Tires

Hello there. I just recently relocated to Washington and I'm planning on doing all sorts of outdoors-ey stuff like climbing Mt. Rainier, camping, and fishing. As a student, I'm dirt poor and my only option for an Adventuremobile that will reliably get me far into the wilderness is taking my 2003 2WD XLT and giving it some hiking boots. I've already got me a camper shell, necessary tools, and an emergency kit.

1. I need widebeam foglights for safety and recreation reasons.

Where do you guys usually mount 'em on the front-end? I'd prefer them to be subdued for durability (hit a deer first day I got to WA, the thing ruined my lower bumper). I was poking around behind the grille where that brace in front of the radiator is and figured that might be a valid spot to have them poking out below the bumper, but I just wanted to check in with you peeps.

I don't know where normally people plug these in and where the switches are easily put.

2. The truck is currently completely stock, that includes the wheels, which are fitted with dinky little road tires. At its current state, I have already run into some issues where the truck is not tall enough nor has the right tires to go through certain obstacles. I wanted to level out the truck, do a modest lift, and get me some bigger tires. But I honestly don't know where to start. I also need some ideas on where to put the spare.

I've never done aftermarket additions to any vehicle before and most of my limited experience comes from working on my old BMW :dontknow: Any help is greatly appreciated to this newbie.

Korey Moore 09-28-2014 05:44 PM

Re: Camping/Trail Build: Widebeam Mounting, Lifting, Big Tires

For a lift to fit bigger tires a 2-3" body lift i hear is pretty cheap (200$). As for your spare, its up to you and the cash money man. You can put on your roof, in your bed or even on the rear tailgate. Google image can give you some ideas

GLH 09-28-2014 06:49 PM

It's 2wd. Lift & larger tires aren't going to help you on 4x4 trails.

tcbaklash 09-29-2014 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korey Moore (Post 2265727)
For a lift to fit bigger tires a 2-3" body lift i hear is pretty cheap (200$). As for your spare, its up to you and the cash money man. You can put on your roof, in your bed or even on the rear tailgate. Google image can give you some ideas

Do you know of an aftermarket rack for the tailgate, or is that something I have to build myself? I love the idea of putting weight on/behind the rear axle for more grip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 2265782)
It's 2wd. Lift & larger tires aren't going to help you on 4x4 trails.

That's a hyperbole. If I want the higher chance of risking a flat or being unable to use my truck to its full potential when traveling off-road, I'll keep my little road tires. I'm not denying that a 4x4 is better in every way for off-road, but this is all I've got. I know what I need and I know how to off-road in a 2WD, it used to be a major part of my job.

GLH 09-29-2014 01:21 AM

It's not meant to go off-road. Get a 4x4.

Desk Drawer Ranger 09-29-2014 01:45 AM

don't mind GLH (s)he is a hater.

put the spare in the bed, easy day and its free.

what are widebeams?

tcbaklash 09-29-2014 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desk Drawer Ranger (Post 2266014)
put the spare in the bed, easy day and its free.

what are widebeams?

I'm just not too thrilled about it being buried with camping gear. Oh well, you're right, I should save my monies.

Widebeams as in fog lights/driving lights, etc. Sorry for my poor wording, I'm really out of it. Whatever can be used as an extra kick on and off the road. Got swamped in a torrential nighttime rainstorm driving through the mountains and had to pull over and wait because I couldn't see anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 2266012)
It's not meant to go off-road. Get a 4x4.

And yet it goes off-road on a weekly basis. All 4x4 trails vary in difficulty. I've tackled one with a Toyota Camry before and I have the better judgement to read guides on whether my vehicle can handle the journey or not.

GLH 09-29-2014 04:30 AM

If you "tackled" anything in a Camry, it was a road, not a "trail". Are you from the city ? Not dis-ing the city or city boys, but city folks seem to think of the backroads and such they encounter as alot rougher than they are. All the hills are mountains to city folks and all the dirt or gravel roads are trails. No offense intended. I just think you need to rethink your vehicles' purpose and consider getting what you really want or need. The coil suspended xl or xlt 2wd is pretty much a pickup on a car suspension.

JJSLAIL22 09-29-2014 05:16 AM

Not a hater but GLH is pretty spot on about 2wd having extremely limited capabilities. Consider a rear either limited slip or locking differential if you're solid on keeping this truck. Get mud terrains. All terrains are wonderful till its wet and mucky.
As for lights, look up "hood light tabs" on this site. Guy on here makes them and they're a great spot to put two flood or spot beam LED or halogen off road lights.
If you'll be going solo, get a winch.

casey.mikl 09-29-2014 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJSLAIL22 (Post 2266069)
Not a hater but GLH is pretty spot on about 2wd having extremely limited capabilities. Consider a rear either limited slip or locking differential if you're solid on keeping this truck. Get mud terrains. All terrains are wonderful till its wet and mucky. As for lights, look up "hood light tabs" on this site. Guy on here makes them and they're a great spot to put two flood or spot beam LED or halogen off road lights. If you'll be going solo, get a winch.

This, you will need a winch with a 2wd. I have a 2wd and know it won't do good. If you have a winch then you should be fine to an extent

reconjb 09-29-2014 05:52 AM

for lights you may want to look into a small 20" led bar they can be found pretty cheap and put out way more light than you should ever need

Luke Jackson 09-29-2014 05:53 AM

My buddy was in a similar predicament and just bout an 800$ Old Toyota hilux 4x4 they run forever and can get you everywhere don't waste your money on tricking out a 2wd like GLH said

tcbaklash 09-29-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reconjb (Post 2266090)
for lights you may want to look into a small 20" led bar they can be found pretty cheap and put out way more light than you should ever need

Do you know of any street legal ones? If not, I'll have to go with halogens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 2266038)
If you "tackled" anything in a Camry, it was a road, not a "trail".

I live in the country. Like I said, all trails vary in difficulty. It was definitely a trail, listed as a short 4x4 trail with a novice rating in the guidebook. Drought dried up the shallow stream crossing, the mud was dried up, rocks everywhere on the path and everything. I'm not saying it was easy for a sedan, because it wasn't, but it happened :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJSLAIL22 (Post 2266069)
Not a hater but GLH is pretty spot on about 2wd having extremely limited capabilities. Consider a rear either limited slip or locking differential if you're solid on keeping this truck. Get mud terrains. All terrains are wonderful till its wet and mucky.
As for lights, look up "hood light tabs" on this site. Guy on here makes them and they're a great spot to put two flood or spot beam LED or halogen off road lights.
If you'll be going solo, get a winch.

Thanks bro. Are mud terrains alright on ice? It doesn't snow often here, but the ice is everywhere and I don't want to spend $$$ on multiple types of tires.

Korey Moore 09-29-2014 12:16 PM

Remember Google is a great tool.

JJSLAIL22 09-29-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcbaklash (Post 2266355)

Thanks bro. Are mud terrains alright on ice? It doesn't snow often here, but the ice is everywhere and I don't want to spend $$$ on multiple types of tires.

I won't be of any help there, here in Florida that is seldom a problem. I go to north Carolina every winter and its icy in the mountains, I haven't been on these tires yet so idk.