Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/)
-   -   cylinder 5 misfire (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/11775-cylinder-5-misfire.html)

brendaprz 05-03-2010 11:02 AM

cylinder 5 misfire

I drive a 2002 ranger, and for the last 6 months, have had the check engine light. plugs and wires have been replaced. Cleaned all electrical stuff. The coil pack checks good. i took it to a mechanic this weekend and he replaced the fuel injector. THE LIGHT IS STILL ON! It idles pretty rough in park and low speeds. Does anybody else have suggestions on what else it could be? I'm seeing check engine lights in my sleep.

Bigbluesupercrew 05-22-2010 09:04 AM

Re: cylinder 5 misfire

Hi Brenda, I just conquered a Number 4 Cylinder misfire trouble code. However I've been dealing with another code just before that. It was an O2 sensor that I had already replaced a couple of years ago, and therefore I didn't want to replace it again because I was thinking it might be one of the numerous other possibilities like a leaking fuel injector, low fuel pressure, leaking internal fuel pressure regulator, mass air flow sensor, and so on. After countless efforts to test and troubleshoot and eliminate I finally changed the darn O2 sensor and cleared the light by disconnecting the battery completely for a few minutes. The light will stay off if the problem is fixed or it will come back on after one drive cycle (about 10-15 Miles) if it is not fixed OR you might find a different code. It get's complicated when there's more than one thing wrong. My Number 4 cylinder misfire ended up being resolved after I replaced the plug wires and that one spark plug, since all the plugs had just been replaced a month and a half ago. The problem was that number 4 wire was not delivering enough spark due to insulation break down, that happens after a few years, and I have made the mistake of buying cheap wires, and will never do that again. Lifetime baby and save the receipt. I just got a free set. It is possible to get defective new parts. I have had to return a couple. Get your code read again and a print out at autozone of possibilities, research it like crazy, but just remember. Just because some idiot thinks he knows what he's talking about and posts it on the web doesn't necessarily make it so!

RangerLuc 05-22-2010 09:18 AM

^that, and check all your vacuum hoses. i had a rough idle and it ended up i had a tiny tiny little crack in one of my vacuum hoses. thats all i got for the rough idle, but idk whats causing your cel

hotrodranger 05-22-2010 12:52 PM

is it running rough? did u clear the code from the computer? it could be that when the mechanic checked and replaced the parts he never cleared the codes. i would go back and ask if he/she did. if not have them erase it and drive a few days and see if it comes back on. i had a similar problem with another car of mine

RLKTPRob 08-01-2011 02:17 PM

I had the same issues as discussed above, and finally had to take it to a dealer and had the compression checked on the engine. In my case cylinder #5 compression was out of spec and eventualy it blew causing me to have to buy a new motor. NO GOOD!

pefrog 08-06-2011 04:20 PM

There is a shut off switch on the fire wall..Ask a ford mechanic to shut it off.. Also, we had the problem of the oxigen sensor being bad.. That is the most common problem.
The other solution is to grab a 12 gauge shot gun & shoot the light out!!!
Or Buy a four cylinder engine..Then the number 5 wont ever bother you again. :D