Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/off-topic/)
-   -   Insurance. (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/off-topic/11755-insurance.html)

Dcrymes99ranger 05-02-2010 05:01 PM

Insurance.

Well Iv been on my dads insurance policy for 10 years. At the end of this month hes gonna put the truck over in my name and I gotta get my own insurance. I'm 25 years old. And I haven't had a ticket for anything since 2007 I think. Whats the best service and the best policies out there I heard Progressive is good. I just wanted to get a few opinions from you guys so throw them at me.

05RangerEdge 05-02-2010 05:10 PM

Re: Insurance.

I switched from Nationwide to Travelers and mine cut in half (when i turned 25). It all depends on the driver. The best advise I can give you is check with them all and go with the lowest. Asking others what they get usually will have no bearing on what you will get with the same company.

smakes 05-02-2010 05:11 PM

ive heard progressive are a bunch of douche bags and its nearly impossible to get money out of them.

im on my moms state farm policy and its 1500 a year for me as a "part time driver", because the truck is registered in her name. shitty part is all ive got is liability, so if i fuck it up at my fault, i have to pay out of pocket to fix it.

mb128 05-02-2010 05:25 PM

idk who im threw all i no being 16 not in school working and a accident on my record it isnt cheap for me (accident not my fault but it is on my record idk why its bull)

Dcrymes99ranger 05-02-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smakes (Post 118357)
ive heard progressive are a bunch of douche bags and its nearly impossible to get money out of them.

im on my moms state farm policy and its 1500 a year for me as a "part time driver", because the truck is registered in her name. shitty part is all ive got is liability, so if i fuck it up at my fault, i have to pay out of pocket to fix it.

That sucks man. I'll have to have full coverage I can get it for 120.00 through All State

Charlie 05-03-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark98xlt (Post 118748)
and 120 a month for full insurance is expensive on a 11 year old truck and you being 25 i pay 120 a month and im 23 with my truck in my name and its a 07 and thats full insurance with no points or accidents on my license

Thats not really that bad, because you have to consider they look at you just like a brand new driver. You have no driving record of your own yet so they are going to charge you out the butt to begin with. When I first got insurance on my own it was 100 dollars a month for a 4 door 4cyl. volkswagen jetta. Base rate on a 94 mustang was going to be 1500 every three months, and that was the base rate with a completely clean driving record. They told me that was the minimum and it could only get higher from there. Needless to say I didn't get a mustand lol. They have a base rate that depends on how long you've had insurance, and how long you've had insurance with their company. As long as your on someone else's policy they consider that as the other persons insurance and not your own. Good luck. Its going to be expensive to begin with, but it will eventually get better.

DisturbedESV 05-03-2010 07:31 PM

I have safeco through my dad and they are AWESOME. I've never had a rate increase (knock on wood) and that's with a few tickets, an accident, and a couple break-ins and they've been super easy to deal with. I have a feeling it cost more than most would like but if I go off his policy I'll end up paying $50 more if I bundle with my home owners insurance (Hartford). Hartford seems ok but then again I've never really made a claim with them. Not sure if that helps but there's my $0.02.

A buddy of mine works at an auto body shop as the adjuster and he says Safeco is a better company for him to work with. He HATES Progressive and Geico.

Coleosis 05-03-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smakes (Post 118357)

$1500? thats insane. Liability only for me is $55 a month. State farm I think. I remember when I got my civic, they were trying to charge $140 a month for liability...Drove that car for like 2 months without insurance before I sold it. $140 a month for a 90's car is ridiculous.

Definately call around. Dont trust a company to compare for you.

smakes 05-03-2010 10:08 PM

im 19 with one accident, where i backed into a car going 2 fucking miles an hour and barely scratched it with my bumper. no tickets either

Coleosis 05-03-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smakes (Post 118975)
im 19 with one accident, where i backed into a car going 2 fucking miles an hour and barely scratched it with my bumper. no tickets either

Thats one of those things you dont report lol. I dont have any accidents and got all my tickets before 18...other than one seatbelt ticket when I was 21...Since then, they always let me go with a warning. :D

smakes 05-03-2010 10:15 PM

yea they fuckin reported it. they tried to claim a HUGE scratch way above the one i put on it, saying my tailgate did it. funny, howd a tailgate scratch a car when it was up when they took the initial photos?

Vrod21 05-03-2010 10:55 PM

I have Progressive. I pay $796 every 6 months for me and my wife and our 08 Fusion, 04 Murano, 03 Ranger and 92 Taurus SHO and I'm 25 years old. I had 1 accident in my old RX8....not my fault and Progressive was awesome. The other driver did not have insurance so they went after him in court and I got my $500 dollar deducible back after about 6 months.