Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Other Engine Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/other-engine-tech/)
-   -   diesel in a ranger? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/other-engine-tech/117345-diesel-ranger.html)

ajstewart777 08-22-2014 06:03 AM

diesel in a ranger?

Has anyone ever done a diesel engine in ranger? I saw a Jeep cherokee the other day with a Cummins in it and it was sick and I was wondering if anyone has done this with a ranger and what is involved and required if so?

96_4x4_XLT 08-22-2014 06:05 AM

It has been done yes

ajstewart777 08-22-2014 06:17 AM

I'm sure it has. Im just interested in the process and involvement.

ranger_ferd 08-22-2014 06:36 AM

Search "yarolecks 98 ranger", I posted some links in there for a 4bt swap, that's about the biggest you can go without major modifications, and you don't have to swap axles or anything either...

96_4x4_XLT 08-22-2014 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstewart777 (Post 2231922)
I'm sure it has. Im just interested in the process and involvement.

You will need these 3 things

Lots of money
Lots of time
lots a patience

ajstewart777 08-22-2014 08:49 AM

Maybe I should just think about a v8 gas instead eh?

96_4x4_XLT 08-22-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstewart777 (Post 2232031)
Maybe I should just think about a v8 gas instead eh?

Still need those three things

2wdboggin 08-26-2014 08:40 PM

The Ranger was introduced in mid-1982 for the 1983 model year and had an available 4-cylinder 59 hp 2.2 L Mazda/Perkins diesel. In 1985, a Mitsubishi-built 2.3 L turbodiesel with 86 hp replaced the Mazda diesel engine. The diesels were no longer an option after 1987. These Rangers are rare now.

Nics574 08-01-2017 03:47 PM

Re: diesel in a ranger?

Check this out if you still have the idea bouncing around in your head. http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1...r-diesel-swap/

Danny74 10-09-2017 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nics574 (Post 2730581)
Check this out if you still have the idea bouncing around in your head. http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1...r-diesel-swap/

that looks like an awesome project. I read the whole article, and I must say I'm kind of fall in love with that idea. However it seems like it would take an enormous amount of time not to mention the expenses out of pocket. I hear of diesel shops that will do these conversions for you but I don't know what they charge.

Undrstm8ed 10-09-2017 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wdboggin (Post 2236177)
The Ranger was introduced in mid-1982 for the 1983 model year and had an available 4-cylinder 59 hp 2.2 L Mazda/Perkins diesel. In 1985, a Mitsubishi-built 2.3 L turbodiesel with 86 hp replaced the Mazda diesel engine. The diesels were no longer an option after 1987. These Rangers are rare now.

NO Where near what the OP was looking for I am sure... no offense.

A GREAT site for more information is 4btSwaps.com where you will find several rangers done and more information on swaps in the build pages.

The 4BTA starts off with a LOT of options for a standard runaway motor. Ridiculous TQ even right out of the box. Ford offered the Cummins 4BTa in basically a Bread truck like what older FedEx trucks, Snap-on trucks and the like as well as a cargo van style but they called it something else and after being up for 29 hrs.. the correct term is escaping me at the moment..

Sorry, im sure someone here will follow up sooner than my 10 hr beta testing of a pillow will allow.

Danny74 10-19-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undrstm8ed (Post 2736826)
NO Where near what the OP was looking for I am sure... no offense.

A GREAT site for more information is 4btSwaps.com where you will find several rangers done and more information on swaps in the build pages.

The 4BTA starts off with a LOT of options for a standard runaway motor. Ridiculous TQ even right out of the box. Ford offered the Cummins 4BTa in basically a Bread truck like what older FedEx trucks, Snap-on trucks and the like as well as a cargo van style but they called it something else and after being up for 29 hrs.. the correct term is escaping me at the moment..

Sorry, im sure someone here will follow up sooner than my 10 hr beta testing of a pillow will allow.

Hey thank you for replying, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one interested in this thread that may be a little bit older.
I am seriously considering purchasing one of these older Rangers and throwing a 4bt into it. I'm more likely to go with the older 2.2 Perkins, because I'd rather trash that then get rid of a good working 2.3 turbo diesel Mitsubishi one. Those engines you could at least find parts for easily for maintenance. And those 2.2 turbos get great gas mileage with a respectable amount of power 4 a daily driver that you don't plan on calling too much with. Basically you're Home Depot running vehicle.
Interesting enough, I'm actually finding people selling those later Model 86 87 Turbo diesels for less money than people selling the earlier ones for. And I did find a $900 84 Ranger with the Perkins 2.2 liter, for sale not too far away. But the body is not in the best condition, and the bed has quite a bit of rust around the outer quarters and the inner wheel wells. The reason why I'm looking for the older ones is because I'm told that it's easier to upgrade the diesel engine in those than to do a swap with a ranger that is Factory gas.

Undrstm8ed 10-19-2017 11:28 PM

Well whether you have to make upgrades to a gas based or a previous "other" Diesel.. you'd still end up replacing things.. and two, its a Cummins, parts all over the world available.

same as when I was into the Honda scene years ago.. Anytime someone brought me an engine. Before installing it it received detailing, a NEW water pump, tensioner, timing belt, plugs, and oil filter and oil change at the VERY least if it past my visual inspections. Otherwise I wouldn't touch it.

A new Build? The engine was chemically cleaned, degreased or hot tanked, rinsed, prepped for machining. Once machine work was done, my engine tech would dble check his measurements, prep the engine for media cleaning, soft water rinse, chase every hole and bolt thread. and start reassembly processes.

Some people get a new used engine and dont even check it out at all. Personally, I live in a desert environment, I cant take a chance being stranded in a remote area or off the side of a road. People dont stop for others anymore due to the fear of the random roadside nut-nut.

So far, I'm creeping well over 350K on the original engine end trans, but I have a whole other 94' 4.0L OHV already torn down and ready to go to the machine shop and be reassembled if I had to but I am almost ready to grab a 4x4 frame and resto it and box in the frame work and start the ground work for a 4BTA.

Ive made friends with a guy on 4btaswaps.com whom does quite a few swaps a month for other people, been on there for years, and the old guy was cool enough to help me out when I need it. Just trying to find the right 4BT for my build. Half a parts list compiled based upon basics, need an actual engine to finish the correct parts..

By this time next year I'll be in a different situation on several levels..