Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   3.0 flashing check engine light and misfire on #6... HELP! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/113751-3-0-flashing-check-engine-light-misfire-6-help.html)

ckvl85 06-02-2014 01:32 AM

3.0 flashing check engine light and misfire on #6... HELP!

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum but joined cause I need help! Here is what I have:
Check engine light on, really rough idle after coming to a stop with a cold motor, check engine light flashes when coasting down hill and after stopping at a light or stop sign. Pulled the codes and I have a misfire on startup and misfire on cylinder 6. Fuel trim is going lean.

here is what I've done:
replaced - Injector, spark plug, wires, PCV, Air filter, Cleaned MAF, Heads got redecked by ford a few years back.
check - compression= ok, voltage and resistance to injector = ok

Anyone have the same issue? or a clue why I am having issues? I keep throwing parts at it and am wrecking my brain on what it could be causing these problems. I'm due for smog and registration so I'm stressin about that since I'm a student and can't afford a new vehicle or getting bent over by the shops.

Prages 06-02-2014 08:44 AM

Re: 3.0 flashing check engine light and misfire on #6... HELP!

Flashing CEL means major misfire that could be causing damage to the catalytic converter.

I hate to say it, but the only time I've ever had my CEL flash was when I had 2 burnt exhaust valves on my 3.0. Pretty much the same symptoms you're having. Rough idle, no power at all, and you could hear it backfire when you were going downhill using the engine to hold it back.

I dumped in a crate motor, but probably could have gotten by with just a head job.

modelageek 06-02-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prages (Post 2158321)
Flashing CEL means major misfire that could be causing damage to the catalytic converter.

I hate to say it, but the only time I've ever had my CEL flash was when I had 2 burnt exhaust valves on my 3.0. Pretty much the same symptoms you're having. Rough idle, no power at all, and you could hear it backfire when you were going downhill using the engine to hold it back.

I dumped in a crate motor, but probably could have gotten by with just a head job.

I thought the same thing but he has newer heads from Ford? My 3.0 had a burnt #4 EV. Could Ford have screwed up twice?

ckvl85 06-02-2014 06:04 PM

Thanks guys... I did a compression check though and that's fine. That eliminates it from being the heads and valves right?

loots06 06-02-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckvl85 (Post 2158738)
Thanks guys... I did a compression check though and that's fine. That eliminates it from being the heads and valves right?

I'm having the same issue and I just bought the truck!! I did everything you did. The compression test for me did not check out the first time. Why, I don't know but it came up the second time and the leak down test confirmed a burnt valve in #6. Sucks for me considering I just bought the truck 3 weeks prior and only driven about 500 miles. For far 11K for the truck plus parts, heads will be on order and shop time.

Hope you have better luck! This is what I'm going with!

Premium Kit fits Ford Ranger Pickup Trucks from 2000 to 2008 with the 3.0L (183) V6 OHV 12-Valve "Vulcan" Engine

Kit Includes:
•2 - Remanufactured Cylinder Heads ( Upgraded withTungsten Caroffere Alloy Exhaust Seats )
•1 - New Head Bolt Set
•1 - New Cylinder Head Gasket Set

Cylinder Head Specifics:

Head are Totally Rebuilt from Premium Castings, and have been Upgraded with Tungsten Caroffere Alloy Exhaust Valve Seats to eliminate the exhaust valve seat recession problems common to the Ranger trucks. All components have been thouroughly cleaned, inspected, and replaced where necessary. All heads are machined in our facility using State-of-the-Art equipment and procedures. All heads are assembled with High-Temp Viton valve stem seals and thoroughly tested to ensure optimun operation of all components. Heads are completely assembled and ready to bolt on.

Warranty:

Heads are warranted for a periord of 12-Months with Unlimited Mileage. For our complete warranty statement, please see our website at: DoverUSA.com

Heads are sold outright - No Core Charge or Returns to Hassle With!
We have many kits in stock & ready for shipping!
Price Includes Free UPS Ground Shippingin the Continental United States (Lower 48 States Only).
*** Note: Customers in Georgia will pay an additional 7% Sales Tax.
*** If you haveTax-Exempt Status or a Resale Certificate, Please call us to make arrangements.

Other engine applications & parts are also available - give us a call with all of your cylinder head & engine parts needs!

For other delivery, pick-up or payment options, please call us at: 404.768.1825 or 800.541.1767

Click to View : All of our items

Business Hours
Monday thru Friday: 8:00am - 5:30pm
Saturday: 8:00am - 2:00pm

Dover Cylinder Head Inc
2539 Sullivan Road
College Park (Atlanta), GA 30337

Read more: http://www.dragtimes.com/parts/Ford-...#ixzz33JOEpvaL

ckvl85 06-03-2014 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loots06 (Post 2158797)
I'm having the same issue and I just bought the truck!! I did everything you did. The compression test for me did not check out the first time. Why, I don't know but it came up the second time and the leak down test confirmed a burnt valve in #6. Sucks for me considering I just bought the truck 3 weeks prior and only driven about 500 miles. For far 11K for the truck plus parts, heads will be on order and shop time.

Hope you have better luck! This is what I'm going with!

Premium Kit fits Ford Ranger Pickup Trucks from 2000 to 2008 with the 3.0L (183) V6 OHV 12-Valve "Vulcan" Engine

Kit Includes:
•2 - Remanufactured Cylinder Heads ( Upgraded withTungsten Caroffere Alloy Exhaust Seats )
•1 - New Head Bolt Set
•1 - New Cylinder Head Gasket Set

Cylinder Head Specifics:

Head are Totally Rebuilt from Premium Castings, and have been Upgraded with Tungsten Caroffere Alloy Exhaust Valve Seats to eliminate the exhaust valve seat recession problems common to the Ranger trucks. All components have been thouroughly cleaned, inspected, and replaced where necessary. All heads are machined in our facility using State-of-the-Art equipment and procedures. All heads are assembled with High-Temp Viton valve stem seals and thoroughly tested to ensure optimun operation of all components. Heads are completely assembled and ready to bolt on.

Warranty:

Heads are warranted for a periord of 12-Months with Unlimited Mileage. For our complete warranty statement, please see our website at: DoverUSA.com

Heads are sold outright - No Core Charge or Returns to Hassle With!
We have many kits in stock & ready for shipping!
Price Includes Free UPS Ground Shippingin the Continental United States (Lower 48 States Only).
*** Note: Customers in Georgia will pay an additional 7% Sales Tax.
*** If you haveTax-Exempt Status or a Resale Certificate, Please call us to make arrangements.

Other engine applications & parts are also available - give us a call with all of your cylinder head & engine parts needs!

For other delivery, pick-up or payment options, please call us at: 404.768.1825 or 800.541.1767

Click to View : All of our items

Business Hours
Monday thru Friday: 8:00am - 5:30pm
Saturday: 8:00am - 2:00pm

Dover Cylinder Head Inc
2539 Sullivan Road
College Park (Atlanta), GA 30337

Read more: http://www.dragtimes.com/parts/Ford-...#ixzz33JOEpvaL

thanks for the info! How much did you end up having to pay for the kit? are you installing yourself?

modelageek 06-03-2014 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckvl85 (Post 2158738)

I will try to help. Let's see what happens. These forums are about details. What were the actual psi #'s from the tests? Where they dry? Wet?

Fyi. I bought heads from that company a month ago and put them on my truck.

modelageek 06-03-2014 05:21 AM

I don't know what this drag times is all about. I just bought the heads directly from dover cylinder heads, Sullivan Rd. Atlanta GA. I paid $280 delivered for 2 heads. There was a $100 gore charge. I bought bolts, tstat and a gasket set from rockauto for $100.

gcextreme 06-03-2014 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modelageek (Post 2159051)
I don't know what this drag times is all about. I just bought the heads directly from dover cylinder heads, Sullivan Rd. Atlanta GA. I paid $280 delivered for 2 heads. There was a $100 gore charge. I bought bolts, tstat and a gasket set from rockauto for $100.

I hope u mean "core" charge...cuz there shouldnt be a "gore" charge lol

modelageek 06-03-2014 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckvl85 (Post 2158122)
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum but joined cause I need help! Here is what I have:
Check engine light on, really rough idle after coming to a stop with a cold motor, check engine light flashes when coasting down hill and after stopping at a light or stop sign. Pulled the codes and I have a misfire on startup and misfire on cylinder 6. Fuel trim is going lean.

here is what I've done:
replaced - Injector, spark plug, wires, PCV, Air filter, Cleaned MAF, Heads got redecked by ford a few years back.
check - compression= ok, voltage and resistance to injector = ok

Anyone have the same issue? or a clue why I am having issues? I keep throwing parts at it and am wrecking my brain on what it could be causing these problems. I'm due for smog and registration so I'm stressin about that since I'm a student and can't afford a new vehicle or getting bent over by the shops.

I think Ford installs their regular heads. some Aftermarket heads have hardened seats. I am learning that the issue is caused by the ranger CAT's. That is why the Taurus is mostly immune.i think you need new heads.

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcextreme (Post 2159053)
I hope u mean "core" charge...cuz there shouldnt be a "gore" charge lol

I Saw That And lol. I was going to change it but thought it was funny. It is a gore charge!

loots06 06-03-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckvl85 (Post 2159022)
thanks for the info! How much did you end up having to pay for the kit? are you installing yourself?

$468 shipped to my door, no cores. Its at the shop, but the swap doesn't look to difficult with simple hand tools.

Quote:

Originally Posted by modelageek (Post 2159044)
I will try to help. Let's see what happens. These forums are about details. What were the actual psi #'s from the tests? Where they dry? Wet?

Fyi. I bought heads from that company a month ago and put them on my truck.

This^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by modelageek (Post 2159051)

Same company, same number, I'll ask about the core when I order mine. I may get some cash back.

modelageek 06-03-2014 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loots06 (Post 2159131)
$468 shipped to my door, no cores. Its at the shop, but the swap doesn't look to difficult with simple hand tools.

This^^

Same company, same number, I'll ask about the core when I order mine. I may get some cash back.

I paid an indy guy I use to do mine. He charged me $500 but I gave him $600. I stopped by a few times to check it out. It's a lot of work. He broke some exhaust studs and some were stuck in the head. FORD HOSED ME FOR $90 FOR THE STUDS. I think you need a torn 50 for the intake. If your belt and are old replace them. I had just replaced mine.

Prages 06-03-2014 09:06 AM

I had broken exhaust studs on my old motor, but I just went to the same local place where I bought the crate motor and bought a new set of studs for about $5.

As for the amount of work, yeah, you'd have to pull all the wiring harnesses and vacuum hoses, remove the valve covers, upper and lower intake, and the exhaust manifolds. There's probably a bolt or two in power steering bracket that goes into the head, though I'm not sure, since I did a complete motor swap and had all of that stuff off my old motor when I took the heads off to inspect them. There's also that pesky #3 push rod that actually runs through the lower intake manifold, so you have to remove the rocker and rod from #3 to remove the manifold, and also remove it from #3 on the new heads to put the lower manifold back on.

ckvl85 06-04-2014 02:05 AM

Swapped the coil pack... That didn't work either. Gonna run it on the scanner... See what I find. Any ideas of what to look for? Gonna look at fuel trim... I wanna rule everything out before I buy any big parts or commit a ton of time to the job not knowing that's what it is for sure.

idahoRedRanger 06-06-2014 04:55 PM

Not sure if it has been said yet or not, but it will probably be your plugs and wires. Had the same problem with my truck and it fixed it