Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   clutch fan broke off shaft and hit radiator (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/110591-clutch-fan-broke-shaft-hit-radiator.html)

jpjpjp 03-30-2014 02:38 PM

clutch fan broke off shaft and hit radiator

3 Attachment(s)
I pulled up at my house and as I left the truck, all of a sudden I heard steam and look back and my radiator pour out all of its water. When I look at what had happen, I found my fan broken completely off which is what hit the radiator and caused it to pour its water out. It has broke off from the water pump shaft, which is still in my fan shaft. I took off the belt and the pulley still turns. I'm just wondering what could be all the possibilities that could cause this to happen? Thanks

96_4x4_XLT 03-30-2014 02:47 PM

Re: clutch fan broke off shaft and hit radiator

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpjpjp (Post 2090582)
I pulled up at my house and as I left the truck, all of a sudden I heard steam and look back and my radiator pour out all of its water. When I look at what had happen, I found my fan broken completely off which is what hit the radiator and caused it to pour its water out. It has broke off from the water pump shaft, which is still in my fan shaft. I took off the belt and the pulley still turns. I'm just wondering what could be all the possibilities that could cause this to happen? Thanks

bad part?
wear and tear?
snakes?

replace whats broke and call it good

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpjpjp (Post 2090582)

that also doesnt look like it just broke off

ICRage42 03-30-2014 03:30 PM

Re: clutch fan broke off shaft and hit radiator

Ive done three really bad ones and let me tell you it never looks like that?

The clutch fan will flex when it gets bad. But something looks like it was hitting the bolts on pulley as well. Maybe something lodged in there perhaps. Previous owner tried cutting it as well because Ive never seen a break like that. Sure you get ridges and uneven but you also get sometimes an even flat spot too. Its inconsistent. That looks like someone didn't know what they were doing and tried a sawzsall and gave up and sold it to you.

Even if you get the fan clutch and go to replace it How are you going to thread it on? I don't see that anymore but in fact left into the clutch fan housing.

Pump, tensioner, belt, radiator, fluid and thermostat seems to be in order.

Very weird haven't seen anything like that?