Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/)
-   -   1993 ford ranger starting issues (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/10852-1993-ford-ranger-starting-issues.html)

mdranger 04-12-2010 07:12 PM

1993 ford ranger starting issues

ok i just bought a 1993 ford ranger 4x4 4.0l v6 5 speed single cab extended bed and the day after i bought it the starter stopped working it doesnt even make a sound when i turn the key and i have no idea where to look i havent taken the starter in yet but it worked perfectly fine when i started the car on my way to breakfast but when my girlfriend and i came out to leave nothing happened so i have been push starting it also there is a lag when i let off the gas and then the truck jolts maybe u joints idk anyone know what my problem could be

stephensimmons 04-13-2010 05:25 AM

Re: 1993 ford ranger starting issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdranger (Post 106499)
ok i just bought a 1993 ford ranger 4x4 4.0l v6 5 speed single cab extended bed and the day after i bought it the starter stopped working it doesnt even make a sound when i turn the key and i have no idea where to look i havent taken the starter in yet but it worked perfectly fine when i started the car on my way to breakfast but when my girlfriend and i came out to leave nothing happened so i have been push starting it also there is a lag when i let off the gas and then the truck jolts maybe u joints idk anyone know what my problem could be

Clean your battery cables 1st and try that before you do anything else! thats always my problem. And yes check your u-joints

mdranger 04-14-2010 11:26 PM

thanks i will do that today

mdranger 04-15-2010 12:25 AM

ok i tried to clean the battery cables and nothing happens i can push start the car and have been able to do that thats how i drive it every day but i dont know if its the switch that gets pushed when i push the clutch in to start it the starter the starter solenoid the terminals that hook up to the starter idk its a mess i dont know where to start i am probably going to have my starter bench tested today so i will see i can get the starter rebuilt for 40 bucks so i kind of am hoping it is the starter and not anything else

stephensimmons 04-16-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdranger (Post 108219)
ok i tried to clean the battery cables and nothing happens i can push start the car and have been able to do that thats how i drive it every day but i dont know if its the switch that gets pushed when i push the clutch in to start it the starter the starter solenoid the terminals that hook up to the starter idk its a mess i dont know where to start i am probably going to have my starter bench tested today so i will see i can get the starter rebuilt for 40 bucks so i kind of am hoping it is the starter and not anything else

Its ether the starter or the solenoid then.

90fordranger 04-16-2010 09:40 PM

i know on my old truck i had the same problem. ended up being i needed a new starter. but my friend told me i just needed to look at the solenoid on the starter. maybe you could check that out.

mdranger 04-17-2010 02:28 PM

it was the clutch safety switch just a damn piece of plastic thanks for your help