Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/)
-   -   moaning/whine (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/10771-moaning-whine.html)

SCRATCHBGONE 04-11-2010 05:37 AM

moaning/whine

I figure I would ask because I have down my part Ok its not all the time it comes and goes and idle will get choppy when its moaning then fine when it stops sounded at first like the air filter (have an aftermarket cold air system but it was not then I though it was the vacume ball or canister located on the inside of the wheel well cover changed that it was not, checked lines could not find leaks. the sound is deff. coming from that area of the vacume ball though and I am stumped this made it do it less but still it is acting up and annoying LOL any ideas of maybe something else 97 4.0 v6 thanks:stupido3:

SCRATCHBGONE 04-11-2010 05:23 PM

Re: moaning/whine

i think it is more at the bottom pully was looking today this all stared at a belt change maybe that will help thanks

stephensimmons 04-11-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCRATCHBGONE (Post 105534)
I figure I would ask because I have down my part Ok its not all the time it comes and goes and idle will get choppy when its moaning then fine when it stops sounded at first like the air filter (have an aftermarket cold air system but it was not then I though it was the vacume ball or canister located on the inside of the wheel well cover changed that it was not, checked lines could not find leaks. the sound is deff. coming from that area of the vacume ball though and I am stumped this made it do it less but still it is acting up and annoying LOL any ideas of maybe something else 97 4.0 v6 thanks:stupido3:

:confused: PVC valve?

SCRATCHBGONE 04-15-2010 07:29 PM

changed the idle pully and the tension pully no dice still something else F#$k LOL

SCRATCHBGONE 05-21-2010 07:24 PM

pull this back up it was the iac i had changed it so was on the last part possible but it was from advance so did not last long motorcraft it is

SCRATCHBGONE 05-21-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCRATCHBGONE (Post 127731)
pull this back up it was the iac i had changed it so was on the last part possible but it was from advance so did not last long motorcraft it is

it sends a hum moan all the way to the air filter box/filter

ranger101 05-21-2010 07:30 PM

Moaning? Whine? It seems as if there is a woman in your truck somewhere.

FireRanger 05-21-2010 07:46 PM

I wish I saw this sooner. I knew exactly what it was by the title before I even read your post. The late 90's ford 4 liters do that. I call the Ford Moose Mating Call.

SCRATCHBGONE 05-21-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger101 (Post 127734)
Moaning? Whine? It seems as if there is a woman in your truck somewhere.

not worried about that moan just the truck :cool:

speedfreak87 07-18-2010 06:16 AM

I have the exact same noise!!!!!!! been driving me nuts! well, nuttier then normal. lol

Glad it's not me loosing my mind, and it's a simple fix.

CornFedBeast 07-23-2010 09:07 AM

I'm not sure if this is the same as mine, but it has only happened to me like 4 times. When I start it up there is the moaning then after a few minutes of driving the noise goes away then doesnt come back for a week or more.

WatsonAaron 07-27-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCRATCHBGONE (Post 127731)

Please define IAC to a n00b, please.

I have a `97, it moans on occasion...

SCRATCHBGONE 07-28-2010 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatsonAaron (Post 162079)
Please define IAC to a n00b, please.

I have a `97, it moans on occasion...

intake air control

98rangerxlt 07-28-2010 09:08 PM

IAC is the Idle Air Control valve.