Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exhaust and Mufflers (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exhaust-and-mufflers/)
-   -   4.0 headers? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exhaust-and-mufflers/106641-4-0-headers.html)

bassking1828 01-25-2014 02:28 PM

4.0 headers?

I have a '98 4.0 I have been thinking about putting some headers on my little truck has anyone ever done this? If so does anyone know a good brand that won't break the bank and where I could find some

Logan03CO 01-25-2014 02:33 PM

Re: 4.0 headers?

JBA makes a shorty style header for our trucks (only ones I know of)....but on a stock 4.0 - it's not worth the money.

I have them (More Info) and I would say that it doesn't do much by itself.

However, now that I'm supercharged - it doesn't hurt anything. lol

Back before the supercharger I even had all of the "supporting mods" like a Magnaflow SS Cat-Back Exhaust, K&N intake, as well as the SCT XCalibrator-3 tuner tweaked for the headers...but didn't see anything directly when I added the headers to the combo.

I also have the titanium ceramic coated headers from JBA. Of the available finishes JBA offers, this version has the "highest thermal & corrosion resistance level" but you pay for it (about $150 more than the basic stainless steel setup from JBA).

The following is a list from lowest level of thermal protection & corrosion resistance to the highest level (Info found here:http://www.jbaheaders.com/details/headerfinishes.jpg):

Nickel-Chrome Plated Mild Steel = "Mild Street"
409 Stainless Steel = "Mild to Severe Duty"
Silver Ceramic Coating = "Mild to Severe Duty"
Titanium Ceramic Coating = "Extreme Duty"

To be honest I didn't notice any real gains (especially not for all that $$$).

Even before I put them on...I found most people here said in general, not to expect a huge difference on the 4.0. I would agree with that statement.

bassking1828 01-25-2014 02:44 PM

I was mainly wanting them for the sound quality I was thinking headers and 40's flowmasters would give it a good sound lol did it change the sound of yours a lot?

Logan03CO 01-25-2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassking1828 (Post 1986979)
did it change the sound of yours a lot?

No.

Plus, $500 (at least) for 'sound' doesn't make much sense to me....

ford4thot 01-25-2014 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassking1828 (Post 1986979)
I was mainly wanting them for the sound quality I was thinking headers and 40's flowmasters would give it a good sound lol did it change the sound of yours a lot?

A flowmaster 40 will sound great all by itself. That's what I had on my ranger

bassking1828 01-25-2014 03:02 PM

Well I was hoping for somewhat better flow with the intake and stuff on my truck I wasn't trying to sound like I don't know what I was talking about I have built and worked on a bunch of mustangs and I know that headers made a difference in the way they sounded so I thought it might change my little truck

Bad Socks 01-25-2014 03:03 PM

In my opinion, hopping up any vehicle with an inherently poor power to weight ratio as a truck, is a waste of time and money. Start with something that will get you at least 10 horsepower per 100 pounds of vehicle weight when you're done. Then consider if you can afford the associated poor fuel economy that comes with that much power and torque available under your right foot.

MBFX4 01-25-2014 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassking1828 (Post 1987009)
Well I was hoping for somewhat better flow with the intake and stuff on my truck I wasn't trying to sound like I don't know what I was talking about I have built and worked on a bunch of mustangs and I know that headers made a difference in the way they sounded so I thought it might change my little truck

I had passetter headsets on my 00 4.0 OHV didn't notice much in sound but cracked open the truck surly had a different sound than manifolds on my 04 with the 4.0 SOHC can't really tell

Fx4wannabe01 01-25-2014 03:08 PM

Apples to Oranges....

300 cubes versus 200 cubes. 300+ horse versus 150. Headers make a decent difference on higher cubes and higher horse. On a Ranger, it's an expensive option with very little gain. I only noticed a very slight tone difference and a slight improvement in power high in the RPM range. Unusable improvements in my opinion. However they look better than the cast manifolds through the wheel well. I not forcing air like Logan is above. My engine is essentially stock with new exhaust and an intake system with custom filter box.

Just do a new cat back. The Flowmaster Delta 40 sounds best on your 4.0L OHV. Bumping to 2.5" piping will deepen the tone too.

bassking1828 01-25-2014 03:14 PM

I wasn't looking for more power it makes all that I need I was hoping to increase air flow just a bit cause the intake didn't do what I thought it should have alone

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 (Post 1987020)
Apples to Oranges....

300 cubes versus 200 cubes. 300+ horse versus 150. Headers make a decent difference on higher cubes and higher horse. On a Ranger, it's an expensive option with very little gain. I only noticed a very slight tone difference and a slight improvement in power high in the RPM range. Unusable improvements in my opinion. However they look better than the cast manifolds through the wheel well. I not forcing air like Logan is above. My engine is essentially stock with new exhaust and an intake system with custom filter box.

Just do a new cat back. The Flowmaster Delta 40 sounds best on your 4.0L OHV. Bumping to 2.5" piping will deepen the tone too.

Thank you sir this helps and makes since

Logan03CO 01-25-2014 03:14 PM

I highly doubt your stock manifolds are causing a 'restriction' of any kind on a stock engine.

The juice isn't worth the squeeze when it comes to headers on a stock setup! lol

MBFX4 01-25-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan03CO (Post 1987030)
I highly doubt your stock manifolds are causing a 'restriction' of any kind on a stock engine.

The juice isn't worth the squeeze when it comes to headers on a stock setup! lol

X2 need a reason for it to breath

Fx4wannabe01 01-25-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan03CO (Post 1987030)
The juice isn't worth the squeeze

Stealin' my lines there, Esse.

Logan03CO 01-25-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 (Post 1987034)
Stealin' my lines there, Esse.

Copyright 2014

bassking1828 01-25-2014 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 (Post 1987020)
Apples to Oranges....

Thank you sir this helps and makes since