Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   Normal Operating Temperature? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/104397-normal-operating-temperature.html)

99greenstranger 12-17-2013 09:57 AM

Normal Operating Temperature?

99 Ranger 2.5. Recently have had problems with the engine not reaching full operating temperature until reaching higher rpm while driving, and heater..well not so hot. Flushed system and changed thermostat and heater seems to work as should.

I usually like to crank the truck and let warm up a little before taking off but it seems that the engine temperature still does not reach the full operating temperature until engine is at a higher rpm. On a cold morning the needle stays at or below the first cold mark on the gauge, until the engine is slightly revved. Once revved and/or going down the road, the temp hands rises almost instantly to normal (a little below half the full temp scale).

Is this a normal temperature change or should the engine reach full operating temperature by just sitting and idling?

RangerSchool 12-17-2013 10:07 AM

It is pretty normal. What temp stat did you use?

RoberticusMaximus 12-17-2013 10:09 AM

Re: Normal Operating Temperature?

& what brand? lol

99greenstranger 12-17-2013 10:11 AM

192°F Motorcraft.

RoberticusMaximus 12-17-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99greenstranger (Post 1887952)
192°F Motorcraft.

that's the one you want lol

----------

did you clean off the temp sensor & sender?

99greenstranger 12-17-2013 10:15 AM

Sensor and Sender? I did notice two sensors and/or sensors mounted to the thermostat housing. I cleaned the housing but did not remove the sensors and clean if this is what you mean.

RoberticusMaximus 12-17-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99greenstranger (Post 1887956)
Sensor and Sender? I did notice two sensors and/or sensors mounted to the thermostat housing. I cleaned the housing but did not remove the sensors and clean if this is what you mean.

yes those exactly lol! mine both had a layer of crap on them. i noticed a small difference in the way the gauge read, mostly how quickly it would change haha!

note: be careful cause i cracked my housing when reinstalling :shot: lol

Bob C. of Indiana 12-17-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertmcclure (Post 1887962)
yes those exactly lol! mine both had a layer of crap on them. i noticed a small difference in the way the gauge read, mostly how quickly it would change haha!

note: be careful cause i cracked my housing when reinstalling :shot: lol

Better the housing than the intake,Lol! :eek:

99greenstranger 12-17-2013 10:38 AM

Might try that. Is there another temp sensor or sender mounted to the engine block or are these the only ones?

RoberticusMaximus 12-17-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C. of Indiana (Post 1887989)
Better the housing than the intake,Lol! :eek:

true dat! lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99greenstranger (Post 1887998)
Might try that. Is there another temp sensor or sender mounted to the engine block or are these the only ones?

nope, on our 2.5L engines, it's just those two. on the older 2.3L lima engines there was one on the block & one on the housing iirc lol

RangerSchool 12-17-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99greenstranger (Post 1887998)

You said your heat does not get hot until you drive. is that true?

99greenstranger 12-17-2013 12:56 PM

Heats gets warm before driving and very hot when driving.

RangerSchool 12-17-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99greenstranger (Post 1888315)
Heats gets warm before driving and very hot when driving.

Is the truck new to you?

Put some cardboard over the radiator. These trucks run cool.

99greenstranger 12-17-2013 01:02 PM

"warm before driving"...and temp hand at or below the cold mark. And hotter while driving and temp hand raises to normal reading. ±61°F here now. Just cranked truck. Took about 10-15 minutes to reach the cold mark on the gauge. Heater blowing warm at that point. Rev engine a little bit and blowing hotter air, and temp hand rises a little, still not to normal level.

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerSchool (Post 1888319)
Is the truck new to you?

Put some cardboard over the radiator. These trucks run cool.

I am 2nd owner. Have about 100k of my own miles on it.

RangerSchool 12-17-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99greenstranger (Post 1888320)
"warm before driving"...and temp hand at or below the cold mark. And hotter while driving and temp hand raises to normal reading. ±61°F here now. Just cranked truck. Took about 10-15 minutes to reach the cold mark on the gauge. Heater blowing warm at that point. Rev engine a little bit and blowing hotter air, and temp hand rises a little, still not to normal level.

----------

I am 2nd owner. Have about 100k of my own miles on it.

You might have an air bubble... maybe a bad cap. Frozen fan?