Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   Radiator Help (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/104345-radiator-help.html)

pelplouffe 12-16-2013 08:43 AM

Radiator Help

Hello, yesterday i lost the heat in my truck, after looking i was out of coolant which i found that my rad is leaking :(

So i'm windering what are the radiator that would fit with next to no modification.

I have a 93 2.3 Manual 2WD and no AC.

They want 250$ for a new one so i'm looking for a cheap used.

Thanks everyone.

KyBucks10 12-16-2013 08:56 AM

Re: Radiator Help

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelplouffe (Post 1885633)
Hello, yesterday i lost the heat in my truck, after looking i was out of coolant which i found that my rad is leaking :(

So i'm windering what are the radiator that would fit with next to no modification.

I have a 93 2.3 Manual 2WD and no AC.

Thanks everyone.

Go to the pull a part nearest to you and pull one out of a truck. Or post in the classifieds here what you are looking for. A couple extra bucks out of your pocket and someone will go get you one and ship it to you.

POS Racing 12-16-2013 09:26 AM

You looked at Rock Auto - http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php

They have several new radiators listed for your truck all for under $100.00

pelplouffe 12-16-2013 11:12 AM

I mostly mean what years of radiator does fit in it? also is a V6 Rad would fit and what the diference between AC-NON AC, AT and MT. i mean on a ranger specificly.

because used they dont have any 2.3 MT NON-AC but they might have other model just have to know what fits. like does a 1999 AT fit?

RangerSchool 12-16-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POS Racing (Post 1885726)
You looked at Rock Auto - http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php

They have several new radiators listed for your truck all for under $100.00

Why are you ignoring him?^^^^^^^

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelplouffe (Post 1885633)

Who is "they"?... O'Reilly sells them for $100.

pelplouffe 12-16-2013 01:30 PM

I'm in Quebec, i have Napa, CarQuest and Universel. Universel is a use car part place like a wrecker but theyre is no pull a part in the region, or even the next region n'est to me, the Website cost me over 50$ in shipping alone on a 80$ radiator.

Carquest can have a spectra for 130$ new 2 day before they receive it, i just tought i could save money by getting a used one.

TiptronicFrog 12-16-2013 02:24 PM

i would save your pennies and get a new radiator.. 130 is pretty cheap as it is, and i dunno how much you would wanna trust a used radiator.. could have corrosion inside, bent fins, etc... plus the new one will probably last the life of your truck whereas the used one could last 10 years or 10 weeks...

pelplouffe 12-16-2013 02:28 PM

Also while i'm at it, i got change the thermostat a few week ago because after i flushed my coolant i lost heat in the truck, thermostt did not fix it but i figure for 12$ was not so bad.

The problem was a clog heater core which using the compressor to blow air in it did fix and was working great.

yesterday my grand-pa gave me a powder to put in the rad to prevent it from leaking, since i lost my heat again

none of the hose seem to get hot, not even the rad one or either of the one to the heater core.

any idea? i know i got to fix the rad because of the leak but i would like to fix everything, it is about -38 outside and i would love some heat back

RangerSchool 12-16-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelplouffe (Post 1886258)
Also while i'm at it, i got change the thermostat a few week ago because after i flushed my coolant i lost heat in the truck, thermostt did not fix it but i figure for 12$ was not so bad.

The problem was a clog heater core which using the compressor to blow air in it did fix and was working great.

yesterday my grand-pa gave me a powder to put in the rad to prevent it from leaking, since i lost my heat again

none of the hose seem to get hot, not even the rad one or either of the one to the heater core.

any idea? i know i got to fix the rad because of the leak but i would like to fix everything, it is about -38 outside and i would love some heat back

did you add the "powder" yet?

2Stroke 12-16-2013 04:07 PM

Better dont fill any powder in your machine. It want stay in the radiator. Will mix up in the complete motorblock and if it fix small leaks, it will fix although small Capilars.
I bought a new radiator last week. Cost me over 70$ shipping costs to Germany but its cheaper than a new machine.

pelplouffe 12-16-2013 06:48 PM

I used the powder because i had a 4 hours drive to go home and wanted to slow down the leak

Leak seem to had slow down, just dont seem to get any of the hose hot, i'm thinking maybe stuck Tstat.... gonna look tomorow.

POS Racing 12-17-2013 07:41 AM

I'd bet thermostat s stuck open.

RangerSchool 12-17-2013 07:48 AM

My guess is the coolant leaks out and now you have air in the system and it stops working.

I can tell by your posts you will never do this, but i would install a brand new Rad, heater core, hoses, MC tstat and flush out the system.

pelplouffe 12-17-2013 08:19 AM

If it was the summer i would gladly do it, i'm just stock working outside + i just got done a system flush (which he only change the collant apparently and did not flush the crap out) and got a brand new Tstat install less then a month ago.

I tought i would be good for the winter and do waterpump and hose in the summer.

i guess i will do all of it after xmas.

I dont have problem changing part and fixing it right but i like to be able to plan it (not millionaire sadly...) and i hate paying someone to do job, so what can wait the summer wait till then most of the time.

Just did the brake (disk, pad galiper, drum, ebrake line) all in new.
I was going to doo all the cooling, rad support and timing belt this summer.

like i said i dont mind doing thing right, just like not to spend too much when i can.

pelplouffe 12-18-2013 06:58 AM

I took the truck last night (went and move 8 tire which does not fit in the civic..)

Heat was working, not great but working, also when i open the radaiator cap i did not notice any flow at all before it use to spill liquid not i could not see it move.

as far i can tell the waterpump is original (223km on it) could that be the case of it not moving?