Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   Driveshaft vibration (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/1028-driveshaft-vibration.html)

cheade 05-20-2009 04:14 PM

Driveshaft vibration

Ok, as I'm driving at highway speeds, there's a vibration from somewhere. I had the front end aligned so i know it's not that. about 3 or 4 months ago my driveshaft puked out a U-joint. when it did it messed up the slip yoke on the lower end where the U-joint is. I bought a used one and the guy told me I'd probably have to have the shaft balanced since they weren't mated from the factory. Is this true and could this be causing the vibration?:confused:

98blownranger 05-20-2009 06:44 PM

yes, you can pull the shaft and have it balanced for a small fee, some guys try to do it themselves wil hose clamps but it is a lot af testing. Just take it in and have it done right the first time

sloue 05-22-2009 03:58 PM

i would check the tranny mount also well you are under the would not hurt. i agree with 98blownranger its worth the price.

dogboy 06-02-2009 12:06 PM

i just recently had to replace a u-joint in my 91 xtra cab cause it had ceased up. I noticed that the vibration only happened during acceleration and not when i depressed the clutch. Si when i was changing them out i noticed that all the joints were a little worn and had rust powder around them all so i replaced all 3 of them with duralast u-joints with grease zerts and now its as quite as can be but you have to make sure that when u reinstall the drive line that it was the same way when it came out or the vibration will continue

raven_17 06-17-2009 11:33 PM

if you have the time or just like tinkering you can remove the drive shaft and turn it to see if the vibration gets any better or worse but in the end you are probually gonna have to break down and get it balanced

8T7 01-01-2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogboy (Post 4251)
i just recently had to replace a u-joint in my 91 xtra cab cause it had ceased up. I noticed that the vibration only happened during acceleration and not when i depressed the clutch. Si when i was changing them out i noticed that all the joints were a little worn and had rust powder around them all so i replaced all 3 of them with duralast u-joints with grease zerts and now its as quite as can be but you have to make sure that when u reinstall the drive line that it was the same way when it came out or the vibration will continue

Hey there D/B,
I have to replace a bad U joint as well, how did you choose from so many? I'm confused as to which U joint to choose. I ran a search thru Napa auto parts on-line, and there were a bunch to choose from ranging from $10.- $30... My Ranger is a 87 x-tra cab, with a tree piece
drive-line. I use it for a put-put around town only.
AL