Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 PM
StockBlueFord StockBlueFord is offline
Mr. MPG
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 748
Default Re: Airbox "Air Scoop"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsaustin View Post
It's just not the same around here now that FireRanger doesn't stop by as much.
Agreed. Sigh. How we will reach these kids?
__________________
2011 Ranger XL Extended cab, 2x4, 2.3 L Duratec, Automatic, Mis-colored Leer camper shell, Ultragauge, LED plate bulbs, DDM "cree" reverse lights. Staying as stock as possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmcclure View Post
and yeah, you wanna spend dat moneh on dat pusseh!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-03-2012, 10:00 PM
94mtx 94mtx is offline
;p
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,689
Default Re: Airbox "Air Scoop"

For what it's worth guys, I lost a fair amount of power (for real, not the sound, the pull) today when I undid the air-box mod. Effectively in that case, you cannot logically sit here and say that an aftermarket CAI would not gain in performance over the stock setup (from the factory), or even the stock setup after the air-box mod. You have no proof against it, and I have no numbers to prove gains, but I can honestly show a huge difference between the two to anybody who wants to come take a ride in my truck (power band moved to higher RPM, throttle more responsive, slight lag at very low RPM though.)


I guess you can't convince those who want to jump on every bandwagon that they are wrong about some things, but honestly... If it doesn't work for you, great. If it does, the more power to ya (no pun intended.) Running around telling others that it will not help them without PROVING that it won't will get you nowhere other than sticking your heads deeper in the sand.


To the O.P. DO NOT put your air intake inlet or filter lower to the ground or in any way directly exposed to things like road grime, water, snow, bugs, or particulates in general. Hydrolock a motor once and you'll wish you had listened.
__________________
2000 Ford Ranger XL 2.5L 5-speed RWD 3.73 open - 170,000+ miles
Buggman LED 3BL/CARGO, Buggman Stang Dome LED conversion, LED Brake Light conversion, Line-X O.T.R., Air silencer removed
2.3L Headgasket/TIMING/Water Pump replacement guide
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Drunkie Drunkie is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 415
Default Re: Airbox "Air Scoop"

Quote:
For what it's worth guys, I lost a fair amount of power (for real, not the sound, the pull) today when I undid the air-box mod. Effectively in that case, you cannot logically sit here and say that an aftermarket CAI would not gain in performance over the stock setup (from the factory), or even the stock setup after the air-box mod.
Well, I put my silencer back on after learning that the air box mod was sucking in hot air from under the engine bay and I noticed no power loss. My guess is that you put the silencer back on and it started to sound quieter, therefore, in your mind you tried to rationalize that less sound must mean less power.

Also, a little something called the placebo effect.

Quote:
I have no numbers to prove gains, but I can honestly show a huge difference between the two to anybody who wants to come take a ride in my truck (power band moved to higher RPM, throttle more responsive, slight lag at very low RPM though.)
Sitting in your truck listening to a loud whistle is not objective proof.

Quote:
I guess you can't convince those who want to jump on every bandwagon that they are wrong about some things, but honestly... If it doesn't work for you, great. If it does, the more power to ya (no pun intended.) Running around telling others that it will not help them without PROVING that it won't will get you nowhere other than sticking your heads deeper in the sand.
I'm not convinced. You state that CAIs will see a "huge difference" over stock systems, but then don't provide support to back it up.
__________________
2007 Ford Ranger XL 4.0L V6
Magnaflow Catback Exhaust,
6000K Bi-Xenon HID,
Anzo G2 LED Tails
Toyo Open-Country AT2 on 16" XD Series Hoss

Last edited by Drunkie; 08-04-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-04-2012, 09:51 AM
94mtx 94mtx is offline
;p
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,689
Default Re: Airbox "Air Scoop"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkie View Post
Well, I put my silencer back on after learning that the air box mod was sucking in hot air from under the engine bay and I noticed no power loss. My guess is that you put the silencer back on and it started to sound quieter, therefore, in your mind you tried to rationalize that less sound must mean less power.

Also, a little something called the placebo effect.
I already told you it is not about the sound, it is about the pull when putting the gas peddle to the floor. I don't particularly care for a louder sound, and I know for a fact that sound != power.

It is not a placebo effect; perhaps it may seem so to you, but not to me. I know and can rationally separate sound from acceleration.. Not sure why you can't. Just because you didn't notice any difference in YOUR truck does not mean that everyone is in your shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkie View Post
Sitting in your truck listening to a loud whistle is not objective proof.
Again, I never said anything about the sound, other than the fact that it is not what I am comparing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkie View Post
I'm not convinced. You state that CAIs will see a "huge difference" over stock systems, but then don't provide support to back it up.
Now you are just sticking words in my mouth. I never stated that cold air intakes will net you a "huge difference" over stock systems, and never even stated that I had one past the one installed from the factory. This is a two-way street bud, but all you are doing is trying to twist my words into something they are not. I openly admitted that I do not have any dyno sheets or track slips to back my observation of better acceleration and a different power curve, but I did state that ANYONE who wants to can come to my house, and take two drives with me; one with the silencer, and one without to FEEL the difference, not HEAR it. The only thing I ever said was I lost power (or acceleration for those who don't understand what I mean) and my power band moved. Please read, comprehend, and think about what you are about to say before you say it so you don't look like an absolute fool for nothing.
__________________
2000 Ford Ranger XL 2.5L 5-speed RWD 3.73 open - 170,000+ miles
Buggman LED 3BL/CARGO, Buggman Stang Dome LED conversion, LED Brake Light conversion, Line-X O.T.R., Air silencer removed
2.3L Headgasket/TIMING/Water Pump replacement guide
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to Buy: "Thunderbolt" AKA "Roush" Front valance Aftermath Exterior Parts 0 03-18-2012 11:49 AM
Air "filter minder". johned General Ford Ranger Discussion 4 03-06-2012 09:17 PM
"Refresh" brand air freshener damage. Jimmeh Off Topic 43 08-03-2011 07:16 PM
How do you replace the Engine coolant overflow "hose." With air conditioning "2.3l" rholder001 4-Cylinder Tech 1 08-02-2011 06:37 AM
2WD Tire "Cables" Or "Chains" Any Good In Snow? spudkilla224 Wheels and Tires 23 07-18-2011 12:55 AM