Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 11-07-2012, 11:44 PM
32vsnake 32vsnake is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 560
Default Re: RP Caster Install

So I went back to the 2.8 pulley and the truck has been running well for a few months now.

Typical eaton... it's getting to damn hot in the summer. Now that the weather has cooled the charger is running way better as the oil isn't thinning out as badly.

I'll need to vent the hood somehow if I want the charger to live and function through the the summer months. Total pain... but I can't imagine running the truck without the charger... too much fun
__________________
2008 DSG fx4 -265/75/16 BFG A/T, Bilstein HD shocks,Rock crusher diff cover, JD traction bars, AFE intake, Eaton M90, 2.8 pulley, Dynomax SS exhaust, EBC sport rotors, EBC green 7000 pads, 4.10 Torsen LS Front and Rear, Fox Coil overs TG Rock sliders and some other stuff
Build thread

2007 Shelby GT500 ...521 RWHP
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:38 AM
Redneckstone Redneckstone is offline
Welcome to FRF, & enjoy!

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,110
Default Re: RP Caster Install

wish he would finish the OHV kit. I really want one of the black truck
__________________
2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Offroad, 4.0L ext cab, Converted to Manual M5OD-R1HD.
_____________
33x13.50 Toyo M/T, 15x10, Body Lift, Rebuilt OHV, JBA headers, Hurst shifter, Warn VR10000-s, Class 1 bars, Belltech Shackles, Mustang GT rear disc, Level II hooks, Modded rear hitch, Custom front hitch, Level II Blue seats and black console, Explorer IRS rear cover, Extang fulltilt, Leer Cap Yakima Roof Rack, Cobra 29 with firestik stake mount, Scangauge II
Few mods
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-08-2012, 05:52 AM
Logan03CO Logan03CO is offline
No wire hangers, ever!

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,339
Default Re: RP Caster Install

Looking good!

Did you end up getting a tune or anything for it yet? Or does the stock computer system do a decent job as adjusting?

I'm starting to get a strong urge for a supercharger setup!
__________________
Curent 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 owner - Build Thread for her: Logan's 2003 Mach 1

Former 2003 Ford Ranger owner - Build Thread for her: Project Budget Buster

Last edited by Logan03CO; 11-08-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-08-2012, 07:59 AM
32vsnake 32vsnake is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 560
Default Re: RP Caster Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan03CO View Post
Looking good!

Did you end up getting a tune or anything for it yet? Or does the stock computer system do a decent job as adjusting?

I'm starting to get a strong urge for a supercharger setup!
No tune... still running with the stock ecu programing
__________________
2008 DSG fx4 -265/75/16 BFG A/T, Bilstein HD shocks,Rock crusher diff cover, JD traction bars, AFE intake, Eaton M90, 2.8 pulley, Dynomax SS exhaust, EBC sport rotors, EBC green 7000 pads, 4.10 Torsen LS Front and Rear, Fox Coil overs TG Rock sliders and some other stuff
Build thread

2007 Shelby GT500 ...521 RWHP
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Logan03CO Logan03CO is offline
No wire hangers, ever!

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,339
Default Re: RP Caster Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vsnake View Post
No tune... still running with the stock ecu programing
Interesting..that's good to know!
__________________
Curent 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 owner - Build Thread for her: Logan's 2003 Mach 1

Former 2003 Ford Ranger owner - Build Thread for her: Project Budget Buster
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Logan03CO Logan03CO is offline
No wire hangers, ever!

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,339
Default Re: RP Caster Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vsnake View Post
Ultra gauge and Autometer boost/vacuum
I've got a question for you regarding the connection of your combo boost/vacuum gauge.

I noticed that a fair amount of combo boost/vacuum gauges come with a barbed 'T' style fitting that is meant to be installed on a manifold vacuum hose. However, it looks like the RP Caster kit comes with a 1/8" NPT hole in the manifold meant for this specific purpose.

I was wondering exactly how & where you connected your combo gauge to Ron's setup? Did you use the planned hole, or did you connect somewhere else? How are the readings?

If you did use his threaded hole on the manifold, did you just use a hose barb adapter to connect it? Basically one that has the same I.D. as the hose, as well as a 1/8" NPT setup to mate up to the manifold? Something like this: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Hose-Barb-6AFH3
__________________
Curent 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 owner - Build Thread for her: Logan's 2003 Mach 1

Former 2003 Ford Ranger owner - Build Thread for her: Project Budget Buster

Last edited by Logan03CO; 11-26-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-26-2012, 07:46 PM
32vsnake 32vsnake is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 560
Default Re: RP Caster Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan03CO View Post
I've got a question for you regarding the connection of your combo boost/vacuum gauge.

I noticed that a fair amount of combo boost/vacuum gauges come with a barbed 'T' style fitting that is meant to be installed on a manifold vacuum hose. However, it looks like the RP Caster kit comes with a 1/8" NPT hole in the manifold meant for this specific purpose.

I was wondering exactly how & where you connected your combo gauge to Ron's setup? Did you use the planned hole, or did you connect somewhere else? How are the readings?

If you did use his threaded hole on the manifold, did you just use a hose barb adapter to connect it? Basically one that has the same I.D. as the hose, as well as a 1/8" NPT setup to mate up to the manifold? Something like this: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Hose-Barb-6AFH3

The back of the intake manifold has an opening for the vacuum line.
Not a big fan of barbed fittings so I use some quick connect push style fittings along with some silicone/nylon air lines. It's the same stuff that I use on my beetle.. works pretty slick, no leaks

on a different note... how do you like the torsen front LS? I tried to order one but apparently the first run is over and there won't be any available until the first quarter of the new year
__________________
2008 DSG fx4 -265/75/16 BFG A/T, Bilstein HD shocks,Rock crusher diff cover, JD traction bars, AFE intake, Eaton M90, 2.8 pulley, Dynomax SS exhaust, EBC sport rotors, EBC green 7000 pads, 4.10 Torsen LS Front and Rear, Fox Coil overs TG Rock sliders and some other stuff
Build thread

2007 Shelby GT500 ...521 RWHP
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-27-2012, 05:00 AM
Logan03CO Logan03CO is offline
No wire hangers, ever!

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,339
Default Re: RP Caster Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vsnake View Post
Not a big fan of barbed fittings so I use some quick connect push style fittings along with some silicone/nylon air lines.
Ok, I hear you. Sounds like you used the hole that RP Caster designed but just a different style fitting. Thanks for the info!


I'm leaning towards purchasing a gauge that uses a sending unit that has the threads built right into the unit - so it eliminates as many additional fittings as possible.
Dakota Digital Boost Sensor (Part #SEN-09-5):


Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vsnake View Post
on a different note... how do you like the torsen front LS? I tried to order one but apparently the first run is over and there won't be any available until the first quarter of the new year
I really like my front Torsen setup. The (few) other people that have also purchased them share my opinion & have said nothing but great things about it.

100% not noticeable when in 2WD & when you switch to 4WD, it's damn near unstoppable. Steering tightens up when in 4WD, but that's to be expected.
__________________
Curent 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 owner - Build Thread for her: Logan's 2003 Mach 1

Former 2003 Ford Ranger owner - Build Thread for her: Project Budget Buster

Last edited by Logan03CO; 11-27-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Logan03CO Logan03CO is offline
No wire hangers, ever!

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,339
Default Re: RP Caster Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vsnake View Post
I also went back to the 3' pulley since it appears to be easier on the shaft than the 2.8.
I know it's an older thread, but I had a couple more questions for you & I'm hoping you can help me out:

Where have you been getting your different pulleys from? I was thinking about getting these: Eaton M90 - Eight Groove Keyed Pulley Fits '89-'95 Ford Thunderbird

Also, what type of puller are you using to swap them out with? Do you use a basic 3-Jaw puller, or a specific supercharger setup?

Any preferences, techniques or recommendations on how not to bend them?
__________________
Curent 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 owner - Build Thread for her: Logan's 2003 Mach 1

Former 2003 Ford Ranger owner - Build Thread for her: Project Budget Buster

Last edited by Logan03CO; 04-10-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-10-2013, 02:38 PM
32vsnake 32vsnake is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 560
Default Re: RP Caster Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan03CO View Post
Where have you been getting your different pulleys from? I was thinking about getting these: Eaton M90 - Eight Groove Keyed Pulley Fits '89-'95 Ford Thunderbird

Also, what type of puller are you using to swap them out with? Do you use a basic 3-Jaw puller, or a specific supercharger setup?

Any preferences, techniques or recommendations on how not to bend them?
That's where I got my pulleys... really quick shipping and never a problem. Highly recommend them based on my experience.

I use a 3 jaw puller and haven't had any issues..

good luck with the build and if you have any questions let me know and I'll see if I can help

Actually plan on removing the charger on Friday and returning the truck back to stock
__________________
2008 DSG fx4 -265/75/16 BFG A/T, Bilstein HD shocks,Rock crusher diff cover, JD traction bars, AFE intake, Eaton M90, 2.8 pulley, Dynomax SS exhaust, EBC sport rotors, EBC green 7000 pads, 4.10 Torsen LS Front and Rear, Fox Coil overs TG Rock sliders and some other stuff
Build thread

2007 Shelby GT500 ...521 RWHP
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Logan03CO Logan03CO is offline
No wire hangers, ever!

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,339
Default Re: RP Caster Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vsnake View Post
That's where I got my pulleys... really quick shipping and never a problem. Highly recommend them based on my experience.

I use a 3 jaw puller and haven't had any issues
Perfect - Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vsnake View Post
Actually plan on removing the charger on Friday and returning the truck back to stock
Uh-Oh, what's the deal with this - Anything I should know?!
__________________
Curent 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 owner - Build Thread for her: Logan's 2003 Mach 1

Former 2003 Ford Ranger owner - Build Thread for her: Project Budget Buster

Last edited by Logan03CO; 04-10-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-10-2013, 04:16 PM
32vsnake 32vsnake is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 560
Default Re: RP Caster Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan03CO View Post
Perfect - Thanks for the help!



Uh-Oh, what's the deal with this - Anything I should know?!
nothing really... planning a trip to death valley and I'm a little concerned about all the extra heat that the eaton throws out..that and it's one less thing to go wrong

When I get back I'll flog the blower setup and keep it stock until i decide what to replace the truck with.
__________________
2008 DSG fx4 -265/75/16 BFG A/T, Bilstein HD shocks,Rock crusher diff cover, JD traction bars, AFE intake, Eaton M90, 2.8 pulley, Dynomax SS exhaust, EBC sport rotors, EBC green 7000 pads, 4.10 Torsen LS Front and Rear, Fox Coil overs TG Rock sliders and some other stuff
Build thread

2007 Shelby GT500 ...521 RWHP
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-11-2013, 04:08 AM
Logan03CO Logan03CO is offline
No wire hangers, ever!

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,339
Default Re: RP Caster Install

Ah ok.

Sounds like you might just be moving on!
__________________
Curent 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 owner - Build Thread for her: Logan's 2003 Mach 1

Former 2003 Ford Ranger owner - Build Thread for her: Project Budget Buster

Last edited by Logan03CO; 04-11-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-16-2013, 03:53 AM
Logan03CO Logan03CO is offline
No wire hangers, ever!

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,339
Default Re: RP Caster Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vsnake View Post
So I went back to the 2.8 pulley and the truck has been running well for a few months now.
Another question about pulleys, if you don't mind....

What amount of boost were you getting running the 2.8" setup?
__________________
Curent 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 owner - Build Thread for her: Logan's 2003 Mach 1

Former 2003 Ford Ranger owner - Build Thread for her: Project Budget Buster

Last edited by Logan03CO; 04-16-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 AM
32vsnake 32vsnake is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 560
Default Re: RP Caster Install

6 psi
__________________
2008 DSG fx4 -265/75/16 BFG A/T, Bilstein HD shocks,Rock crusher diff cover, JD traction bars, AFE intake, Eaton M90, 2.8 pulley, Dynomax SS exhaust, EBC sport rotors, EBC green 7000 pads, 4.10 Torsen LS Front and Rear, Fox Coil overs TG Rock sliders and some other stuff
Build thread

2007 Shelby GT500 ...521 RWHP
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any one know how to install this?? T Bone Exterior Tech 41 07-01-2011 08:30 PM
Leveling kit on now HORRIBLE camber/caster! brinker88 Vehicle Snapshots 29 04-18-2011 01:37 PM
where can i install this ? gatsy92 Interior Tech 4 11-11-2010 04:33 PM
94 lowered 3/5 with should the camber and caster angles rockwerks Lowered Suspension 12 03-30-2010 12:05 AM
caster/camber adjustment not using adjustmet cams.. greyghost Suspension Tech 3 10-10-2009 07:45 PM