Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #31  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Mattygb2128 Mattygb2128 is offline
Former Ford Migrane Owner
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws Ranger View Post
The hell?! They make a filter?!?!

----------

And I wanted a K&N but I needed a filter ASAP
Lmao yes, a lot of those quick-change chains (such as Jiffylube) use them...that is, if they even change the filter...-___-)
__________________
HAD a 99 Ranger 4X4 3.0 flex, but I did the AWD Wagon Mod....now I am a proud owner of a Subaru Impreza wagon
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Jaws Ranger Jaws Ranger is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,540
Default

Haha life experience??
__________________
96 Ford Ranger 2.3 - Loads of mods
03 DSG Mustang GT 5 spd- CAI, Flowmaster cat back, Sequential tail lights, 70mm T.B. 265/305
1992 GMC C1500 4.3 Long Bed 91K
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:54 PM
thatranger thatranger is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,061
Default Re: Fram ultra oil filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
You say that now....but go cut a Fram filter open, and I promise you you will never look at them the same again. Ever.

There is NOTHING good about a Fram oil filer.
Yea I know their crap, I've already said that, but I have experience (and so does my family) proving that so far, they haven't messed up a motor yet. Wheres your proof that its so bad as you say, that it'll end up killing a motor? Again, already stated 3times that I don't like them & know their crap. But you people bashing them this bad must have some real proof with experience?

Also, I don't think the oil back flow (if the Fram doesn't have a valve) is a big problem on the 3.0 engine, since the oil filter is more straight up and down, then on some cars where they are side ways, if I'm not mistaken.
__________________
2002 Ranger 3.0 XLT | 5Speed | Flareside | 2wd | 3.73open |
__________________________________________________

Quote:
"You rev it, and rev it, and rev it until the valves come out and dance on top of the bonnet. And then you change gear" - James May
Quote:
"9,000rpms into third!"- Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by thatranger; 03-13-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:57 PM
RangerJoe52 RangerJoe52 is offline
Proud Ranger Ower
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 207
Default Re: Fram ultra oil filter?

The was a comment made about Purolator being fifty cents cheaper than either Fram or Motorcraft. Is it worth the fifty cents to take a chance on a catastrophic engine failure, in my case no I will never use a Fram again will continue to use Motorcraft designed and manufactured for Ford products.
__________________
2000 XLT Ext Cab 2door, 3.0 V6 Flex, 5 speed manual,2WD Kenwood aftermarket stereo Many mods planned just not able now on crutches for 8 more weeks
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Jaws Ranger Jaws Ranger is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,540
Default

What? I would of bought it if it was a $1 more I was just saying
__________________
96 Ford Ranger 2.3 - Loads of mods
03 DSG Mustang GT 5 spd- CAI, Flowmaster cat back, Sequential tail lights, 70mm T.B. 265/305
1992 GMC C1500 4.3 Long Bed 91K
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Yeller Yeller is offline
Wow.So cobra.Very Ranger.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatranger View Post

Yea I know their crap, I've already said that, but I have experience (and so does my family) proving that so far, they haven't messed up a motor yet. Wheres your proof that its so bad as you say, that it'll end up killing a motor? Again, already stated 3times that I don't like them & know their crap. But you people bashing them this bad must have some real proof with experience?
Well, seeing how the oil filter is a critical part of the engine, I don't want to even risk putting some shitty cardboard POS filter on my truck. I don't even need a bad experience to know they are of shit quality. It's really not rocket science.

__________________
Chrome Yellow 2001 Ranger Edge 3.0L V6/5spd
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Jaws Ranger Jaws Ranger is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,540
Default

Yeah the cardboard is sad!! I love the purolator commercial that makes fun of it!
__________________
96 Ford Ranger 2.3 - Loads of mods
03 DSG Mustang GT 5 spd- CAI, Flowmaster cat back, Sequential tail lights, 70mm T.B. 265/305
1992 GMC C1500 4.3 Long Bed 91K
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 PM
thatranger thatranger is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,061
Default Re: Fram ultra oil filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
Well, seeing how the oil filter is a critical part of the engine, I don't want to even risk putting some shitty cardboard POS filter on my truck. I don't even need a bad experience to know they are of shit quality. It's really not rocket science.

I'll just give up. You people are a little to strong headed. Their crap, but doesn't mean they will ruin a car. But I guess thats my view on it.
__________________
2002 Ranger 3.0 XLT | 5Speed | Flareside | 2wd | 3.73open |
__________________________________________________

Quote:
"You rev it, and rev it, and rev it until the valves come out and dance on top of the bonnet. And then you change gear" - James May
Quote:
"9,000rpms into third!"- Jeremy Clarkson
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:04 PM
Offy Offy is offline
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 186
Default Re: Fram ultra oil filter?

Ya I despise Fram as most everyone else. I would also suggest a wix brand filter though. They have the check valves in the filter like the stock motorcraft should so you don't have dry start-up. My dad had a display in his NAPA store with a fram, AC Delco (GM parts) and a wix cut apart. The Wix looked far superior in quality and had more filter paper (to last before plugging-up and by-passing the filter), but of course he didn't have a motorcraft to compare it to.
__________________
current - 2001 2.5 5spd 3.73 XLT reg cab short box 165K
dead - 2001 2.3 5spd 3.73 XLT reg cab short box 70K
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Yeller Yeller is offline
Wow.So cobra.Very Ranger.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatranger View Post

I'll just give up. You people are a little to strong headed. Their crap, but doesn't mean they will ruin a car. But I guess thats my view on it.
Now where did I say It would ruin the engine?

But why run that risk, when a quality filter is less than $1 more.....

Your logic is flawed.
__________________
Chrome Yellow 2001 Ranger Edge 3.0L V6/5spd

Last edited by Yeller; 03-13-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Jaws Ranger Jaws Ranger is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,540
Default

Or 50 cents less!
__________________
96 Ford Ranger 2.3 - Loads of mods
03 DSG Mustang GT 5 spd- CAI, Flowmaster cat back, Sequential tail lights, 70mm T.B. 265/305
1992 GMC C1500 4.3 Long Bed 91K
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 PM
thatranger thatranger is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,061
Default Re: Fram ultra oil filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
Now where did I say It would ruin the engine?

But why run that risk, when a quality filter is less than $1 more.....
I assumed it due to the level of bashing it was getting from you and other members. Which is reasonable because thats the only thing it could do if anything would happen with it being crappy.

Most of the people in my family can't really do basic car things and just take their car/truck up to walmart to get an oil change, therefore a fram filter. But normally we always get an oil change at 3k, so are less likely to have a filter go bad & f--k up things.
__________________
2002 Ranger 3.0 XLT | 5Speed | Flareside | 2wd | 3.73open |
__________________________________________________

Quote:
"You rev it, and rev it, and rev it until the valves come out and dance on top of the bonnet. And then you change gear" - James May
Quote:
"9,000rpms into third!"- Jeremy Clarkson
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Offy Offy is offline
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 186
Default Re: Fram ultra oil filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatranger View Post
I assumed it due to the level of bashing it was getting from you and other members. Which is reasonable because thats the only thing it could do if anything would happen with it being crappy.

Most of the people in my family can't really do basic car things and just take their car/truck up to walmart to get an oil change, therefore a fram filter. But normally we always get an oil change at 3k, so are less likely to have a filter go bad & f--k up things.
Ya I just bought my truck and sometimes it will have a dry start-up, looked under the hood and it has a Fram. Sure it doesn't do much damage but I hate it. So I'll be doing an early oil change and since oil is so important for the engine I wouldn't put in something that is lower quality. Ya they work, just not as good most the other brands.
__________________
current - 2001 2.5 5spd 3.73 XLT reg cab short box 165K
dead - 2001 2.3 5spd 3.73 XLT reg cab short box 70K
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-14-2013, 03:26 AM
dvrich dvrich is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,165
Default Re: Fram ultra oil filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatranger View Post
As much as I don't like Fram, and that there are better filters then Fram, I don't believe everyone would be bashing them this hard unless they have first hand experience of them causing problems.

Just like how everyone could say that one car band is crap, without ever owning them. But only reading/seeing from a 2nd/3rd party saying their crap. Example, saying this truck can't offroad for crap since it couldn't go thru this. Only pointing out the bad things about it, and never the good.

Since you are on the subject, name 1 good thing about Fram oil filters.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offy View Post
Ya I just bought my truck and sometimes it will have a dry start-up, looked under the hood and it has a Fram. Sure it doesn't do much damage but I hate it. So I'll be doing an early oil change and since oil is so important for the engine I wouldn't put in something that is lower quality. Ya they work, just not as good most the other brands.
Dry startups don't do much damage? It's the cumulative damage that is the concern here.
__________________

Last edited by dvrich; 03-14-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 AM
S13minus1 S13minus1 is offline
Sideways? Sideways.
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,592
Send a message via AIM to S13minus1
Default

Didn't ford have an issue with a full size v8 and would not cover it if fram oil filters were used?
__________________
-Alex
'10 Ranger XL 2.3L Manual
Mods: Stereo, Tint, Weatherguard rain shields, Intake silencer removal, LED brake, turn signal, reverse, license plate, and dome lights, DDM HID's (currently removed), lowered, 17" wheels with spacers, Explorer autodim mirror with Autolamps, Magnaflow exhaust, Buggman LED 3rd Brake Light...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinS View Post
awe come on alex be a man!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FYI: Ford 3.0 oil leak at oil filter hunterranger General Ford Ranger Discussion 9 10-29-2013 09:58 AM
FRAM Fuel Filter? piemaster General Tech 5 09-19-2012 08:59 AM
Some people still use Fram oil filters???? dvrich General Ford Ranger Discussion 17 09-09-2012 08:04 PM
Fram oil filters jack7481 General Ford Ranger Discussion 35 09-03-2012 07:51 AM
Oiled Filter or no oil filter for air intake?? DRFTNGKNG 3.0 Vulcan Tech 3 11-26-2010 07:47 AM