Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 03-13-2010, 07:03 PM
OldBlackCat OldBlackCat is offline
Taters.....
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 56
Send a message via AIM to OldBlackCat
Default Re: Who here is a Ham radio op?

david, comet and diamond make them. mines a comet mount and i got it through ham radio outlet (hro) many places have them, and they are quite handy. it was on my moms 93' ford aerostar van for about 5yrs before it got put into action on my new truck.


oh BY THE WAY!!! passed my general exam today. woo!!! now i need a better antenna and i need a antenna tuner. as my current setup is for 28.3- 28.5mhz now.
__________________
Go! Ranger Go!

RANGER 2008 XLT 4.0h 2WD slush box, 6" Lift, 4.56's, 33" BFG A/T's
Sold RANGER 1994 XL 4.0 2WD 5spd 2" Skyjacker Leveling Coils ProComp ES9000 Shocks

"all the cool kids rock upside down license plates" Alon
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-13-2010, 07:59 PM
whfd930 whfd930 is offline
930 in route, CODE 3!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 41
Default Re: Who here is a Ham radio op?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlackCat View Post
david, comet and diamond make them. mines a comet mount and i got it through ham radio outlet (hro) many places have them, and they are quite handy. it was on my moms 93' ford aerostar van for about 5yrs before it got put into action on my new truck.


oh BY THE WAY!!! passed my general exam today. woo!!! now i need a better antenna and i need a antenna tuner. as my current setup is for 28.3- 28.5mhz now.
Congrats on the general upgrade!!!

N2TNK
General
Proud to be a "KNOW CODE" ham. Upgraded when the 5wpm was still in effect.

Don't forget to use the /G if you are on the general bands till you are current on QRZ and FCC.

As for tuner, I use a LDG IT-100 which was built for the Icom rigs. I have a 75m Resonator set at 3.870 and I can tune 80m-6 m on it.

P2240352.JPG
Here is the main radio and tuner behind the pass. seat mounted on the jack cover

P2240346.JPG
Here is the Head of the Icom 7000 mounted on the rear view mirror.

Too much truck driving so I never use that mirror anyway.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001xlt4d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer03133 View Post
it can get tough to get the tool to fit in the slot,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviejay View Post
Haynes: Remove small retaining clip.
Translation: Take off 15 years of stubborn crud, it's there somewhere..
Translation: Break every screwdriver in your box.
Haynes: This is a snug fit.
Translation: You will skin your knuckles! ... Clamp with adjustable wrench then beat repeatedly with hammer.,



2003 single cab, Edge package, 3.0 5sp 2wd
Red and blue lights all around
Icom 7000 Ham radio w/75m resonator and 2m/440 5/8 wave
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-13-2010, 08:31 PM
KF5EQV KF5EQV is offline
A guy with a truck.
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 166
Default Re: Who here is a Ham radio op?

KF5EQV, brand new technician class HAM since this January.

Will try to get some pics of my mobile setup (humble as it may be right now) tomorrow.

Congrats OBC! I'm already studying for my general too, but want to get my CW skills up before I get on the HF. It just feels right that way somehow.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-13-2010, 11:04 PM
OldBlackCat OldBlackCat is offline
Taters.....
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 56
Send a message via AIM to OldBlackCat
Default Re: Who here is a Ham radio op?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whfd930 View Post
Congrats on the general upgrade!!!

N2TNK
General
Proud to be a "KNOW CODE" ham. Upgraded when the 5wpm was still in effect.

Don't forget to use the /G if you are on the general bands till you are current on QRZ and FCC.

As for tuner, I use a LDG IT-100 which was built for the Icom rigs. I have a 75m Resonator set at 3.870 and I can tune 80m-6 m on it.

Attachment 1207
Here is the main radio and tuner behind the pass. seat mounted on the jack cover

Attachment 1206
Here is the Head of the Icom 7000 mounted on the rear view mirror.

Too much truck driving so I never use that mirror anyway.
nice, those ic-7000 are nice! when i got my tech they still required code on general and i was studying for code but by the time i got to upgradeing thay had dropped element 1 testing. im horrible with code lol.


kf5eqv, sound good on the new license!
__________________
Go! Ranger Go!

RANGER 2008 XLT 4.0h 2WD slush box, 6" Lift, 4.56's, 33" BFG A/T's
Sold RANGER 1994 XL 4.0 2WD 5spd 2" Skyjacker Leveling Coils ProComp ES9000 Shocks

"all the cool kids rock upside down license plates" Alon
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-13-2010, 11:11 PM
08xlt 08xlt is offline
Ford Pickup
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 124
Default Re: Who here is a Ham radio op?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlackCat View Post
david, comet and diamond make them. mines a comet mount and i got it through ham radio outlet (hro) many places have them, and they are quite handy. it was on my moms 93' ford aerostar van for about 5yrs before it got put into action on my new truck.


oh BY THE WAY!!! passed my general exam today. woo!!! now i need a better antenna and i need a antenna tuner. as my current setup is for 28.3- 28.5mhz now.

Allright congrats that is not an easy task.
__________________
2008 XLT 4x4 4.0 SOHC 5 spd. auto K&N Oxford Wht. Line-X, Leer Shell

Your Never Lost If You Don't Care Where You Are !
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-13-2010, 11:14 PM
OldBlackCat OldBlackCat is offline
Taters.....
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 56
Send a message via AIM to OldBlackCat
Default Re: Who here is a Ham radio op?

haha im sittin here drooling at the yaesu ft-897D HF VHF/UHF radio....... man its a purdy radio
__________________
Go! Ranger Go!

RANGER 2008 XLT 4.0h 2WD slush box, 6" Lift, 4.56's, 33" BFG A/T's
Sold RANGER 1994 XL 4.0 2WD 5spd 2" Skyjacker Leveling Coils ProComp ES9000 Shocks

"all the cool kids rock upside down license plates" Alon
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-14-2010, 02:01 AM
whfd930 whfd930 is offline
930 in route, CODE 3!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 41
Default Re: Who here is a Ham radio op?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlackCat View Post
haha im sittin here drooling at the yaesu ft-897D HF VHF/UHF radio....... man its a purdy radio
I had a 857d as my first hf rig, on a 550' loop wire antenna. made quite a few dx contacts with it and was easy to hook up to computer for satellite and digital modes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001xlt4d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer03133 View Post
it can get tough to get the tool to fit in the slot,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviejay View Post
Haynes: Remove small retaining clip.
Translation: Take off 15 years of stubborn crud, it's there somewhere..
Translation: Break every screwdriver in your box.
Haynes: This is a snug fit.
Translation: You will skin your knuckles! ... Clamp with adjustable wrench then beat repeatedly with hammer.,



2003 single cab, Edge package, 3.0 5sp 2wd
Red and blue lights all around
Icom 7000 Ham radio w/75m resonator and 2m/440 5/8 wave
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-14-2010, 02:05 AM
OldBlackCat OldBlackCat is offline
Taters.....
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 56
Send a message via AIM to OldBlackCat
Default Re: Who here is a Ham radio op?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whfd930 View Post
I had a 857d as my first hf rig, on a 550' loop wire antenna. made quite a few dx contacts with it and was easy to hook up to computer for satellite and digital modes.
sounds like a sweet setup.
__________________
Go! Ranger Go!

RANGER 2008 XLT 4.0h 2WD slush box, 6" Lift, 4.56's, 33" BFG A/T's
Sold RANGER 1994 XL 4.0 2WD 5spd 2" Skyjacker Leveling Coils ProComp ES9000 Shocks

"all the cool kids rock upside down license plates" Alon
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 AM
whfd930 whfd930 is offline
930 in route, CODE 3!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 41
Default Re: Who here is a Ham radio op?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlackCat View Post
sounds like a sweet setup.
It was till I had to move, then I ended up selling the thing cause $$$$$ was tight.

I am under Death Threat from the War Dept.(my wife) if I even think about selling the Icom.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001xlt4d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer03133 View Post
it can get tough to get the tool to fit in the slot,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviejay View Post
Haynes: Remove small retaining clip.
Translation: Take off 15 years of stubborn crud, it's there somewhere..
Translation: Break every screwdriver in your box.
Haynes: This is a snug fit.
Translation: You will skin your knuckles! ... Clamp with adjustable wrench then beat repeatedly with hammer.,



2003 single cab, Edge package, 3.0 5sp 2wd
Red and blue lights all around
Icom 7000 Ham radio w/75m resonator and 2m/440 5/8 wave
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-14-2010, 03:23 PM
OldBlackCat OldBlackCat is offline
Taters.....
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 56
Send a message via AIM to OldBlackCat
Default Re: Who here is a Ham radio op?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whfd930 View Post
It was till I had to move, then I ended up selling the thing cause $$$$$ was tight.

I am under Death Threat from the War Dept.(my wife) if I even think about selling the Icom.
haha
__________________
Go! Ranger Go!

RANGER 2008 XLT 4.0h 2WD slush box, 6" Lift, 4.56's, 33" BFG A/T's
Sold RANGER 1994 XL 4.0 2WD 5spd 2" Skyjacker Leveling Coils ProComp ES9000 Shocks

"all the cool kids rock upside down license plates" Alon
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-21-2010, 09:10 PM
KF5EQV KF5EQV is offline
A guy with a truck.
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 166
Default Re: Who here is a Ham radio op?

My 2m/70cm setup.

Wouxun KG-UVD1P Dual-Band Radio, cigarette lighter power cord, rainproof hand mic/speaker, Larsen 2m/70cm mobile antenna.


^Here is my mobile radio. It may seem humble (a mere $100 chinese radio) but it outperforms some of the pricier name brand handheld units. Mounted to dash using one of those handy little $5 "universal swivel kits" you see around everywhere for cell phones. (see link/ad at bottom of the page.) In this picture I have it set to monitor both the local Police Dept. and my local HAM Club's repeater.


^This is the rainproof hand mic/speaker I use with this radio. It has a belt-style clip on the back for attaching to epaulets and webbing, which I clipped to an old piece of rifle sling that I modified to hang from the headliner for the mic to clip to.


^The dual-band antenna, tuned for 2m/70cm use.


Not the best picture, but you can see how the antenna looks on the truck. Looks very nice and professional.

And right below is the link/ad for a swivel kit similiar to the one I used, in case anyone is interested.
http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Universal-Swivel-Mount-Belt/dp/B00006JPBX

Last edited by KF5EQV; 03-21-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-23-2010, 12:20 AM
OldBlackCat OldBlackCat is offline
Taters.....
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 56
Send a message via AIM to OldBlackCat
Default Re: Who here is a Ham radio op?

nice setup
__________________
Go! Ranger Go!

RANGER 2008 XLT 4.0h 2WD slush box, 6" Lift, 4.56's, 33" BFG A/T's
Sold RANGER 1994 XL 4.0 2WD 5spd 2" Skyjacker Leveling Coils ProComp ES9000 Shocks

"all the cool kids rock upside down license plates" Alon
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-22-2011, 06:34 PM
stephen.g.fiddes stephen.g.fiddes is offline
Next-best to Chuck Norris
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 795
Default Re: Who here is a Ham radio op?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5EQV View Post

^The dual-band antenna, tuned for 2m/70cm use.
From my experience, those thru-glass antennas are worthless. Thos wuxon or whatever radios are good tho! I've played with them in my store. haha.

I'll get my Ham radio setup posted here shortly.

-KE7NRH

EDIT: Wow I bumped the hell out of this thread..... haha
__________________
Schwinn Super-Sport, Nikon D90 ROLLED: 2001 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab 4X4MODS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourliter Dan View Post
and as for boobs, as long as the cant hold up a book with sag, pointed in the right direction and not peperoni or canadian bacon nips were good to go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
ok...i'll just come out and say it... you got's an auto. That alone revokes your right to brag about being part of the elite Level II's! Take that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
Oh come on....every girl likes pink....even Demon
Buy my pictures at Imagekind!

Last edited by stephen.g.fiddes; 01-22-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-22-2011, 07:03 PM
GeorgiaRanger GeorgiaRanger is offline
Bronco!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,188
Default Re: Who here is a Ham radio op?

good job fish
__________________
Bronco in the near future!

2002 Gold Ranger (46k miles) : Totaled May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddwalters View Post
Lmao like a good neighbor, FRF is there!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-22-2011, 07:04 PM
stephen.g.fiddes stephen.g.fiddes is offline
Next-best to Chuck Norris
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 795
Default Re: Who here is a Ham radio op?

ehh, it happens.
__________________
Schwinn Super-Sport, Nikon D90 ROLLED: 2001 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab 4X4MODS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourliter Dan View Post
and as for boobs, as long as the cant hold up a book with sag, pointed in the right direction and not peperoni or canadian bacon nips were good to go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
ok...i'll just come out and say it... you got's an auto. That alone revokes your right to brag about being part of the elite Level II's! Take that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
Oh come on....every girl likes pink....even Demon
Buy my pictures at Imagekind!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CB Radio Installation nchamilton2105 Interior Tech 32 05-10-2011 02:49 PM
Radio won't light up Jaylorch Electrical Tech 4 04-11-2010 10:03 PM
Satallite Radio??? BuFfordTjuStice Audio / Video 10 10-07-2009 02:23 PM
Power for an Add-on Radio cheiss8078 Audio / Video 0 08-19-2009 05:16 PM
radio illumination Jaylorch Electrical Tech 1 05-19-2009 11:22 PM